September 18, 2019, 06:42:31 AM

Author Topic: Next year - Themes for the anthology - Suggestions?  (Read 28528 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: Next year - Themes for the anthology - Suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 12:44:57 AM »
I like Outlaws :) It's general enough it leaves a very large range of possibilities. Plus, outlaws are always fun :)

I agree. Always more fun to write from the evil guy's perspective.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 01:38:07 AM »
I like Outlaws :) It's general enough it leaves a very large range of possibilities. Plus, outlaws are always fun :)

Outlaws don't have to necessarily be evil. In fact many of them that I'm thinking of like Locke Lamora and Darian Frey are the exact opposite. They're definitely outlaws, but they're often heroic and not the bad guys at all, despite being somewhat morally ambigous, whereas you have other characters such as Joffrey Baratheon who is unredeemably evil, but he's not an outlaw.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 02:53:41 AM »

Outlaws don't have to necessarily be evil. In fact many of them that I'm thinking of like Locke Lamora and Darian Frey are the exact opposite. They're definitely outlaws, but they're often heroic and not the bad guys at all, despite being somewhat morally ambigous, whereas you have other characters such as Joffrey Baratheon who is unredeemably evil, but he's not an outlaw.

Locke Lamora's not evil? So stealing's right? :P But I understand what you're saying. My morals are more black and white, which is why I hate the favored term 'morally ambigous.'
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »
Locke Lamora's not evil? So stealing's right? :P But I understand what you're saying. My morals are more black and white, which is why I hate the favored term 'morally ambigous.'

Evil is a big word to use! This could be a really interesting discussion to have in the main board, actually.  ;) Can a character be as "morally ambiguous" as Locke Lamora - would they survive as a loveable rogue in the real world, or would they be scorned as a villain?
Make Another World.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 11:55:45 AM »

Evil is a big word to use! This could be a really interesting discussion to have in the main board, actually.  ;) Can a character be as "morally ambiguous" as Locke Lamora - would they survive as a loveable rogue in the real world, or would they be scorned as a villain?

Its a good point, when does a character tip from being Robin Hood to being Al Capone? Interestingly I watched a program about the Great Train Robbery last night. In it, it was said how the gang were seen by many to be heroes of sorts, comparing them with Robin Hood and his gang. But dig below the surface and most of the train robbers were lifelong criminals, some pretty brutal criminals at that, plus the robbery itself was no soft robbery with the guards given a good beating - resulting in one dying soon after, not because of his injuries but they could have been a contributing factor.

To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »

Its a good point, when does a character tip from being Robin Hood to being Al Capone? Interestingly I watched a program about the Great Train Robbery last night. In it, it was said how the gang were seen by many to be heroes of sorts, comparing them with Robin Hood and his gang. But dig below the surface and most of the train robbers were lifelong criminals, some pretty brutal criminals at that, plus the robbery itself was no soft robbery with the guards given a good beating - resulting in one dying soon after, not because of his injuries but they could have been a contributing factor.

They actually used that angle quite nicely in Public Enemies. Criminals such as Baby-Face Nelson were applauded by the common people at one point, even though he was reputed to have killed the most F.B.I. agents in history. John Dillinger, in particular though, specifically catered to the people's admiration.
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Charlemagne

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 01:26:58 AM »
I feel like we may be onto something with the outlaw idea. There could be such a variety of stories built into that, in all kinds of worlds, with all kinds of different characters. It could be a steampunk, pirate-themed, "epic" fantasy, or really anything. And the characters could be such a wide range also: bankers or lawyers, as suggested by Lor and Jian, or thieves, bullies, thugs, assassins, falsely accused, or something more like a Western like A Red Country. I feel like I, as an author, would love all the choices provided by the Outlaw theme.
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 06:47:55 AM »
If we do go with the Outlaw theme, we have to go with this theme song:

Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive

Either that or:

Firefly Theme

Voting begins now.  8)

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Richard Ford

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
Perhaps this is a bit of novel idea - but one that might be quite cool: wouldn't anyone like to see an anthology which featured short stories by writers set in other writers' worlds? A Joe Abercrombie short set in Westeros? Brandon Sanderson writing a Malazan tale? Brent Weeks writing a Wheel of Time short?

Obviously there's rights issues, but all authors own the rights to their own worlds so I guess it's just a matter of gaining permission. Lots of authors are already friends too, Peter Brett and Myke Cole for instance, I'm sure they'd have no problem with playing in each other's sandpit.

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 12:08:11 PM »
Sounds like a great idea.

Imagine if Sanderson wrote a short in Brent's Night Angel and Lightbringer world, and if Brent wrote a short set in Roshar or Mistborn. That'd be one helluva ride.  ;D

Offline Charlemagne

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 02:00:37 AM »
Sounds like a great idea.

Imagine if Sanderson wrote a short in Brent's Night Angel and Lightbringer world, and if Brent wrote a short set in Roshar or Mistborn. That'd be one helluva ride.  ;D

Shut up and take my money.
Find me on the web at http://singmuses.wordpress.com

Offline Yuan François

• Godling
  • Love is a sweet poison, but it kills nevertheless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 06:38:08 PM »
Love & Loss?
"It seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come."
-Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

http://enygmatickid.wordpress.com/

https://princeandprodigy.wordpress.com/

Offline Evazorek

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2014, 08:13:15 AM »
Will there be a new anthology this year?
Writing Blog: www.rhodestonowhere.com
Online Portfolio: www.sterhodes.com

Offline Maxfield

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Coreling
  • It takes two to tango, but a forum to have fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
Well, as an action / dragon fanboy - I instantly thought 'Guns and Dragons' !!!!

I love this with the fire of a thousand burning suns.

hi I'm new to this site and sorry not sure if I'm too late for this as I'm just getting to grips with everything and this is the first page I came across.

I think Guns and Dragons is a very good idea, you could take that in many directions. Here's a quick idea I have for the start.

The dragon warriors had been living in peace for over six years. They thought that they had found their sanctuary. They were hidden from the rest of the plagued lands, they thought that they were safe...they were wrong.
    By the time the dark riders had clouded the skies above the silver lake where the children played, it was already too late.
    Jaxan may have been young, but he still remembered his dad ordering him back inside the caves, instructing his mum to stay hidden.
    Abrose, Jaxan's dad was the leader of his people and the greatest dragon warrior of all time. Jaxan idolised him, and watched in empathy as his dad grabbed his twin firearms and headed down to the forest edge with the other dragon warriors, ready to mount their dragons and take to the skies.
    Jaxan wanted to follow his dad, but his mum pulled him back into the caves. That was the last time he saw his father...that was the last time anyone had seen a dragon warrior...until now.

I though it would be a good idea to follow Jaxan as he grows up, learning how to ride a dragon, gun slinging and finding allies along the way as he battles to bring down the dark evil dragon riders.

I'm not sure if that would work or if that's the kind of thing you are looking for?

kind regards

Maxfield

Offline Maxfield

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Coreling
  • It takes two to tango, but a forum to have fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »
whoops think I missed out by a year lol.

Should have read the site a bit more before jumping in...but when you get an idea you just have to write. :-X