August 23, 2019, 11:30:24 PM

Author Topic: Are you entering the contest?  (Read 35337 times)

Offline Nestat

• Terry Goodkind's Biggest Fan
  • Ambient Mage
  • The world needs more ginger heroes!
    • View Profile
    • nothingtree.wordpress.com
Re: Are you entering the contest?
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »
Also, I wasn't quite sure if I was eligible to enter. I had a look on the website earlier and couldn't see anything to disqualify me, but I swear I read somewhere a while ago (although I could be imagining things) that it was only for invitees or previously unpublished authors. I definitely don't count as the first, but I have one published story now so I was wondering if that meant I can't enter.

Congratulations on being published! Don't take this as gospel, but I think it was published stories that couldn't be submitted. Published authors should be fine.

*Edit* Do take it as gospel:

http://fantasywritingcontest.com/online-entry/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:46:21 PM by Nestat »
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. They have not forgotten this." - Terry Pratchett

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2012, 02:35:51 AM »
I believe you have to have sold over 5,000 copies of your book to be considered a published author.  So if you haven't sold that many, then for the purposes of this contest, you are considered unpublished and you're fine.

The story you are submitting must be unpublished.  Peer review is okay, but if the story you are entering has been published on a website, in a magazine, or in another anthology, then it won't qualify for the contest.

Hope that helps. :)

Offline Vilutheril

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2012, 01:05:30 PM »
Thanks guys.

Should be fine then. :)

I'm still in the process of editing and deciding if any story I have might be worth sending in. I usually need a week or two after writing until I can read them with enough distance to edit properly. Might be a last minute sub from me.

I've developed a bit of an appetite for short fiction lately and I'm excited to read the stories even if I don't end up submitting anything. :)

You can follow me on my website, on goodreads or on twitter!

Offline Louise

• Ambient Mage
  • Adventure Time Appreciator
    • View Profile
    • LouiseMaryJames
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »
I've left mine for a month now and I can still recite the first paragraph in my head.

Just making the most of the time, I guess.  ;D

Offline KDavis94

« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2012, 05:31:44 PM »
Oh I'm definitely joining! :D I love to write and it would be the most amazing thing in the world if a short story of mine got published. I'm really excited about it and I've been working on the story for a couple days now.

I'm probably going to get the book regardless if my story is printed in it or not though. I would really love to read the others. :)
I enjoy my own world more than this one... that's why I write.

Offline Vilutheril

« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2012, 02:35:14 PM »
I've left mine for a month now and I can still recite the first paragraph in my head.

Just making the most of the time, I guess.  ;D

Haha. Yeah.

It doesn't help that I have a very long memory for text. Maybe what I'm actually waiting for is a day where I feel particularly ruthless so I can tear apart something I created. :P

You can follow me on my website, on goodreads or on twitter!

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
Hopefully submitting my story this weekend. Finished it a week ago - just waiting on some feedback from a few people, and sitting on it myself so as to come to it reasonably fresh for a bit of a third edit this weekend.
Make Another World.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »
Good luck everyone - just over a month left; had some fantastic entries!!!

Faction-Tale starts on 1st June :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Steve K Cole

« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »
Only noticed this competition a few days ago. Trying to put together an entry over then next few weeks. So yes I am entering, but not sure how strong the piece will be. ;D

Offline Ashes

« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
I've yet to finish mine, I just need to belt myself to a chair and get it done rather then scuttling around forums and wasting time.
But as was mentioned above, getting in the anthology would be a cherry ontop of a very tasty looking cake of fantasy goodness. Can't wait to read the winners stories and the old'pros.
“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the persuit of evil.” David Gemmell

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
I've yet to finish mine, I just need to belt myself to a chair and get it done rather then scuttling around forums and wasting time.
Word.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline cairi

« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »
I sent mine in last week... and the very next night had a stress dream where I opened the file and discovered the first paragraph made absolutely no sense at all.  *facepalm*

Offline Nyki Blatchley

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2012, 11:13:53 PM »
I sent mine in last week... and the very next night had a stress dream where I opened the file and discovered the first paragraph made absolutely no sense at all.  *facepalm*

That just means you're a real writer.  Maybe this one should go in the "You know you're a writer when..." thread 8)

Offline wanshampoo

« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2012, 06:15:17 AM »
I plan on entering the contest but I have a question.

The story entered has to be un-published but what about the author? I've had a short story and three flash fictions published - the short I was paid for - does this exclude me entering?

I know some anthologies only want entries from un-published authors.
wen shampoo and wen hair care

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »
I plan on entering the contest but I have a question.

The story entered has to be un-published but what about the author? I've had a short story and three flash fictions published - the short I was paid for - does this exclude me entering?

I know some anthologies only want entries from un-published authors.

You have to have sold over 5,000 copies of your book to be considered a published author.  So if you haven't sold that many, then for the purposes of this contest, you are considered unpublished and you're fine.