August 21, 2019, 04:04:47 AM

Author Topic: Are you entering the contest?  (Read 35328 times)

Offline Steve K Cole

Re: Are you entering the contest?
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
Phew, managed to get my entry in last Saturday afternoon. Now, I heard a rumour of 1200 entries so that makes the odds what? 2001-1? Fingers crossed, and well done everyone who entered.

Offline Blackavar

« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2012, 08:08:03 PM »
I pretty much got in last minute.  I had started my short story a few weeks back, but I've been really busy and doing overtime at work, so tired as well.  I had tried to set aside some time, but in the end, I realised I was at around 6000 words and no where near wrapping up.  I remember that I had 2 and half hours to go and I thought "I just can't whittle this down and finish this in time".

So I had a bit of an emo bitch fit on my Facebook page about how I was quitting and how rubbish I am...but Moriko, my character, had other ideas.  A combination of her wanting to be written, me hating quitting, and some very encouraging words form a good friend lead to me doing some super intense power-writing for the next 2 hours.  I had to keep jumping back and looking for any redundant sentences that could be culled just to make room for an ending.

I think I had 19 minutes left to proof read, so I only proof read the new material.  I managed to bring in an open ending, at 7992 words.  Then I submitted everything, and waited for a confirmation email.  After I got the email, the timer was at 46 seconds!

Talk about the skin of my teeth!  I'm sure that I won't win...its not that it wasn't a bad entry, but the pace of the ending was significantly different to the beginning, which had started off quite relaxed and leisurely.  But still, that was most the exhiliarting and intense writing session I have ever experienced, even my English exams don't compare to it!  And even if I don't win, I know now that I CAN get it finished, and I can finish the job :D
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince With A Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you.  But first they must catch you."

Offline ZombieJosh

« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2012, 10:31:11 PM »
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I just gave my submission a re-read through and found about a bazillion mistakes. Mostly to do with tense. All tidied up, and it would probably make a much better entry now, but ah well. At least I got an entry in on time.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the story I submitted, which is very rare for me.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »

I just gave my submission a re-read through and found about a bazillion mistakes. Mostly to do with tense. All tidied up, and it would probably make a much better entry now, but ah well. At least I got an entry in on time.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the story I submitted, which is very rare for me.

I wouldn't worry 'too much'. We know that you are human and are looking for a fantastic story and memorable characters foremost. Language and grammar are a part of it - but we do realise that our job, as Editors, is to help those we choose and correct any errors that appear in their work :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline ZombieJosh

« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »
Good to know.

It is always annoying finding mistakes, especially when it is for a competition, but good to know you'll be looking past minor errors to the story itself!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »

I wouldn't worry 'too much'. We know that you are human and are looking for a fantastic story and memorable characters foremost. Language and grammar are a part of it - but we do realise that our job, as Editors, is to help those we choose and correct any errors that appear in their work :)

Good to know. Especially for those of us whose mother tongue isn't English. There are mistakes a native will spot immediately, which I only find (if I find them) when I read the story a few times with high concentration...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)