October 19, 2019, 08:16:03 AM

Author Topic: Are you entering the contest?  (Read 36999 times)

Offline cairi

Re: Are you entering the contest?
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »
I sent mine in last week... and the very next night had a stress dream where I opened the file and discovered the first paragraph made absolutely no sense at all.  *facepalm*

That just means you're a real writer.  Maybe this one should go in the "You know you're a writer when..." thread 8)

I'm going to print this and show it to my mother.  "See, Ma?? I told you I was a real writer!" ;D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2012, 01:20:19 AM »
Just sent my entry in. I hope I followed all the right rules.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline naugem

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »
Just sent my entry :)
Finally sat down to complete the last revision.
Still managed to get Entry-Plus.

Offline J. Mark Miller

« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2012, 04:45:08 AM »
Woot! I didn't think I'd have anything for this contest, and was really bummed about it. I got an idea out of the blue a couple of days ago, and just finished the first draft tonight. I need to cut several hundred words and give it some polish, then submit this puppy.

I'm going to a writer's workshop with my daughter next week, so I hope to get some quality work done.  :)

Offline Wizard Police

« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2012, 06:28:47 AM »
Really wished I discovered this contest much earlier. When I first found out about it the deadline was in 30 days, and I've only just finished the first draft now with a lot of frustrating planning I did in between the time (and I went to Vegas for a week around there). I like to sit on my stories for a week before I revise, and I do it again, but I won't have enough time probably.

Oh well no use complaining about it now.

Offline Wizard Police

« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2012, 06:47:22 AM »
I'm running into the same trouble many here are having. I've exceeded the maximum word count and now I'm looking to paraphrase a lot of details, though I'm hoping it doesn't hurt my story too much.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
I'm running into the same trouble many here are having. I've exceeded the maximum word count and now I'm looking to paraphrase a lot of details, though I'm hoping it doesn't hurt my story too much.

I know that feeling... ;)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline naugem

« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
Just out of curiosity: Will the winning stories be edited, or will they be published as sent?

Offline Wizard Police

« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2012, 01:43:38 AM »
Hey Overlord do you guys use a program to calculate word count? And would you be strict with it if it was a little over 8000 words? I finished my story and on wordcounter.net I'm at 7990 words. I checked with other sites and the count varies differently. Some are at 7900 words and there's another where it's only at 7750, pretty big drop off. There's some other sites that show me at over 8000, though only a little bit, at like 8015 or 8050.

Offline tcsimpson

• Godling
  • I dream, my characters plot, I write
    • View Profile
    • Ramblings of a Fantasy Author
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »
Two days or so before I submit. For whatever reason, my story didn't come to me until the waning moments. I haven't been this nervous in years.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Hey Overlord do you guys use a program to calculate word count? And would you be strict with it if it was a little over 8000 words? I finished my story and on wordcounter.net I'm at 7990 words. I checked with other sites and the count varies differently. Some are at 7900 words and there's another where it's only at 7750, pretty big drop off. There's some other sites that show me at over 8000, though only a little bit, at like 8015 or 8050.

Yeah, that was brought to our attention earlier.  Don't worry about it.  If you're a tiny bit over due to a site calculating different, it's okay. :)

Offline Wizard Police

« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2012, 07:20:13 PM »

Yeah, that was brought to our attention earlier.  Don't worry about it.  If you're a tiny bit over due to a site calculating different, it's okay. :)

Thanks!

Offline Louise

• Ambient Mage
  • Adventure Time Appreciator
    • View Profile
    • LouiseMaryJames
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2012, 12:15:13 PM »
Just sent my entry off. Better late, (and right up on the deadline), than never right?

Good luck to everyone. :)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2012, 12:34:14 PM »
Just sent my entry off. Better late, (and right up on the deadline), than never right?

Good luck to everyone. :)

Me too. :)

Good luck to you!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline MattAB17

« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »
Hi,

I've just entered. WC is 7955 according to Word and that includes the title and my name. When I started writing I thought I'd struggle to pass 5K, then about halfway through I thought I'd aim for 6500. Then I finished the first draft and it was 8400 so I cut 1000 words from the start and redid it in 300 words. A load of edits later and I submitted it.

I'm looking forward to the Entry Plus criqtiue.

Out of interest, what sites are you using to calculate WC and why would they be different to Word?

Thanks
Matt