August 23, 2019, 02:56:57 PM

Author Topic: Why Is It The History Channels "Vikings" Has Slipped Under The Fantasy Radar?  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Phil Norris

Lets look at the facts.

Part of Ragnar's legend is that he is descended from Odin.

There is a shaman in Kattegut (Ragnar's stronghold) who has visions that come true.

Princess Aslaug (Ragnar's second wife) is a seer and said to be the daughter of Sigurd and Brynhildhr.

Whilst S1 & 2 had sly fantastical elements in S3 they are more to the fore with a recent episode having Aslaug, Siggi and Helga sharing the same dream vision of a stranger.

With all this - and the fact its about Vikings - I wonder why it is the show does not feature more heavily within the fantasy scope of interest? I know its only available on the History Channel (Sky or cable) or on Amazon Prime but that limited viewing platform hasnt stopped other shows reaching the masses.

To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
Besides, much of the history in the History channel is quite fantastical anyway 8)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
Besides, much of the history in the History channel is quite fantastical anyway 8)

I don't know, if ancient aliens has taught me anything, it's that the basic structural physics of stacking blocks is beyond the capabilities of modern mathematics. Sounds pretty factual to me.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Maybe because the History channel is part of the 'super' or 'extra' Sky pack and people with 'normal' Sky don't have access to it :'(

I noticed earlier that the 'Lifetime' channel (I know - what?) is showing season 2, but since I missed 1, I wasn't going to start...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
I don't know, it's possibly because there hasn't been a lot of talk about it generally, but it does have it's rabid fans and I am one of them. I watch every episode in a state of near euphoric glee. Swords and beards and shield maidens and shouting - totally my thing.

Offline Overlord

I think the lower budget put critics off a bit initially and, as Bea says, having it on History when it is fictional is quite alien to most people. The History channel is generally for people who enjoy documentaries / reality TV, so without any real advertising they are relying on word of mouth or people stumbling upon it.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Phil Norris

If you dint have Sky it is on Amazon Prime (which I think is still free for the first month so you could bulkwatch S1 and 2 then cancel and re-book in a few weeks and watch S3) and S2/2 is on DVD.

As for low budget, yes the first 2 seasons were bare bones but from some of the trailers seen for S3 (Paris for instance) it seems someone has stumped up some cash. Plus the budget may have been slim effectswise but this show is chock full of action (at least one fight/battle per episode) and the battles are pretty realistic and bloody.

Offline Ben

I don't know and I don't care but I love the show.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
It could be because while Ragnar himself is a sort of Nordic King Arthur, there is documented evidence that his sons were all real historical figures.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Phil Norris

It could be because while Ragnar himself is a sort of Nordic King Arthur, there is documented evidence that his sons were all real historical figures.

And if you've read any of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon stories Uhtred's had a hand in killing most of them :-)