November 13, 2019, 10:46:22 AM

Author Topic: Wheel of Time TV Series  (Read 3550 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Wheel of Time TV Series
« on: April 28, 2016, 10:45:17 PM »
looks like it's officially official.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/103674399065634804648/posts/1aeEKJiqdeF

Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time ™
Public
Apr 28, 1:45 PM
Announcement

The following is a press statement that has been approved by the studio involved in contract negotiations:

Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet ?

Offline Roelor

Re: Wheel of Time TV Series
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »
This makes me sad..
Another one of my favorite series getting prepared to be destroyed for the public.
I hate movies and series of books that I enjoyed.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
This makes me sad..
Another one of my favorite series getting prepared to be destroyed for the public.

The thing with the series is that there is so much padding, especially in the middle, that a tighter and more focused TV show might benefit to the story as a whole. 

Offline Katyda

• Tribute
  • "A Spark of Life for the Dark of Death"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
I've heard of the wheel of Time series but never have read it, is it any good?
The Forest is my family

Offline Roelor

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:25:58 PM »
I personally love it.
it slows down in the middle, but I don't mind it as enough intriguing things happen.

Definitely worth it

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
This makes me sad..

The thing with the series is that there is so much padding, especially in the middle, that a tighter and more focused TV show might benefit to the story as a whole.

Yeah, the series totally lost my interest in the middle, and I never finished it. Now, liking Sanderson as I do, the thing stopping me from picking it up is that I'd have to start from the beginning... urgh!
So might actually watch the pilot and give the show version a shot. So long as it's not tacky  ???
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:25:00 PM »

This makes me sad..

this is precisely my opinion.

also, between the lotr movies, the harry potter movies, and the got tv series, i think the world has figured out how to do quality adaptations.  i don't see why wheel of time would be different.  especially as fiery as harriet mcdougal is.

Yeah, the series totally lost my interest in the middle, and I never finished it. Now, liking Sanderson as I do, the thing stopping me from picking it up is that I'd have to start from the beginning... urgh!
So might actually watch the pilot and give the show version a shot. So long as it's not tacky  ???

boy oh boy -- do i have a present for you!
http://www.thonky.com/wot/

it's a 34k word, paragraph-per-chapter, summary of the whole thing.  it was my in-between-book lifeboat while waiting for those last few to come out.

i've dumped it to ebook, if you want it.  tho, i seem to remember you were pretty badass about doing that yourself.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »
I appreciate your help m3m, but I think this is kinda worse!  ;D

I mean, reading 34k of notes instead of prose would be completely dry and uninteresting. I can see how this is good as a refresher, but I read the first half of that series over 10 years ago. I remember nothing beyond the peasant boy picked up by destiny and the evil lord waiting for his time.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 03:48:56 PM »
I appreciate your help m3m, but I think this is kinda worse!  ;D

I mean, reading 34k of notes instead of prose would be completely dry and uninteresting. I can see how this is good as a refresher, but I read the first half of that series over 10 years ago. I remember nothing beyond the peasant boy picked up by destiny and the evil lord waiting for his time.

ah.  yeah.  good call.  they're more of a "previously, on wheel of time" rather than a "wtf was that series about again?"

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 12:03:26 AM »
Even though I know nothing about the books at all I thought fans might find this post by Adam Whitehead on his blog very interesting and some food for thought:
http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/the-wheel-of-television-parts-3-and-4.html

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 12:55:00 AM »
Even though I know nothing about the books at all I thought fans might find this post by Adam Whitehead on his blog very interesting and some food for thought:
http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/the-wheel-of-television-parts-3-and-4.html
The read and review that Adam Roberts did on his now defunct blog punkadiddle was worth a read for an irreverent and somewhat snarky look at the series.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 12:57:15 AM »
My feeling about the Game of Thrones TV series is that it does a good job of streamlining and decluttering the book content - there have been several arcs and developments that have come clear in the TV show that I felt remained murky in the books - so hopefully WoT can get a similar treatment and be something both snappy and epic on the small screen.

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 01:15:27 AM »
My feeling about the Game of Thrones TV series is that it does a good job of streamlining and decluttering the book content - there have been several arcs and developments that have come clear in the TV show that I felt remained murky in the books - so hopefully WoT can get a similar treatment and be something both snappy and epic on the small screen.
I agree to an extent, then I look at what happened to Dorne...and it made me not bother with the show anymore.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 01:20:34 AM »
I agree to an extent, then I look at what happened to Dorne...and it made me not bother with the show anymore.
Dorne is unfortunately an inconvenient mess in both show and books, although the show has handled it very badly. Is there anything similar in WoT?
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 01:53:41 AM »
I think it would be interesting to watch on screen. It will always be one of my favorite series.