June 01, 2020, 03:58:56 AM

Author Topic: what happened to peter jackson  (Read 10257 times)

Offline andreasn

what happened to peter jackson
« on: July 30, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »
how did he come from making the greatest fantasy film series of all time to making a standard Hollywood action movie with mediocre CGI and no story.

the lord of the rings was the best three movies I have ever seen and when I saw that Peter Jackson was making a movie of the hobbit I was so exited. then after I saw the two hobbit movies I lost my trust in him completely.
the hobbit seems to serve no other purpose than to make Peter Jacksons wallet thicker. it is a shameful deed against Tolkiens work, and it takes advantage of the fans.

what happened to him.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: what happened to peter jackson
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 03:51:50 PM »
Welcome to life. :)
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

NoteSpelling

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:03:47 PM »
I thought that Jackson has done a great job working the Hobbit into a watchable and enjoyable movie. I loved how he has added depth to both the story and to the characters and I think that he did the original book justice, just like he did well by the LOTR.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:27:01 AM »
He said at SDCC that his original idea was to do The Hobbit as one movie before LotR, but things in Hollywood rarely turn out how people want them to.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:57:08 AM »
The Hobbit films are pretty crappy, mostly for one specific reason - they are over-long, drawn out until all goodness they contained is lost in a sea of tedium designed solely to (and blatantly) stretch a small novel out into three $$$-earning films. I mean, if the first Hobbit film was an epic fantasy novel, the first quarter would be the village boy/secret hero doing nothing but farming turnips before anything happens.

I don't blame Peter Jackson on this one. He is probably doing the best he can to salvage a crappy but entirely predictable studio decision.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
  • Bring Us The Girl And Wipe Away The Debt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »
Meh I like The Hobbit films.
“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”

? Anomander Rake

Offline Overlord

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »
I quite like them too, they also had very different audiences (both in book form and in movie form)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

NoteSpelling

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
I also don't think that they ( the Hobbit movies) are over long. I did not notice how long they were until the movies had finished, even then I would have happily started the movies over from the beginning again. :)

Offline JamesLatimer

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 06:22:26 PM »
Well, I thought he did a pretty terrible job with LotR so I haven't even watched the Hobbit films. All his worst tendencies were there already, and with less material to work with (i.e. more Peter Jackson added) this was bound to happen.

(ducks)

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »
I owe much of my passion for Fantasy, and certainly for Tolkien's work, to PJ's adaptation of LOTR. He did a great job, even though I'm not oblivious to its flaws.

What happened with the Hobbit, I think, has more to do with Hollywood than PJ himself. I feel like he had less input, and stretching the movie into a trilogy could only have to do with money.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Timstar

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 07:56:03 PM »
I don't know what happened to him, it's easy to just blame Hollywood but at the end of the day they are his films and he has ruined The Hobbit. Even comparing it to LOTR is nonsense, they are not even close.

I know Viggo Mortensen and Ian Mckellan have both had issues with the films and I'm sure others have as well. The trailer for the third film looks so bad!

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »
People are bitching about Peter Jackson, it must be nearly August. Seems to be a tradition the week after ComiCon when some teaser or other has been released.

Personally I think the films are fantastic, pure high fantasy, well filmed, great characters and the age old story of good vs evil. As a compliment to LOTR they work, they give vital backstory to Bilbo, Gandalf, the Dwarves and the ring.

As for it not being anything like the book, thats a plus in my opinion. I've read Lord Of The Rings 4 or 5 times since my teens (I'm 50 now), I've read The Hobbit once and once was enough. I did not enjoy it, the dwarves were one dimensional and too cartoony, the plot way too thin and far too many songs.

In fact the singing was the one thing that worried me about the films, but the minute I heard the folky theme they'd adopted I knew my worries were unfounded.

I'm looking forwards to December with mixed feelings, I want to see how they do the battle, but I also know that'll be it, the last time we'll ever likely to see Middle-Earth again. That makes me sad.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 12:39:17 AM »
People are bitching about Peter Jackson, it must be nearly August. Seems to be a tradition the week after ComiCon when some teaser or other has been released.

Personally I think the films are fantastic, pure high fantasy, well filmed, great characters and the age old story of good vs evil. As a compliment to LOTR they work, they give vital backstory to Bilbo, Gandalf, the Dwarves and the ring.

As for it not being anything like the book, thats a plus in my opinion. I've read Lord Of The Rings 4 or 5 times since my teens (I'm 50 now), I've read The Hobbit once and once was enough. I did not enjoy it, the dwarves were one dimensional and too cartoony, the plot way too thin and far too many songs.

In fact the singing was the one thing that worried me about the films, but the minute I heard the folky theme they'd adopted I knew my worries were unfounded.

I'm looking forwards to December with mixed feelings, I want to see how they do the battle, but I also know that'll be it, the last time we'll ever likely to see Middle-Earth again. That makes me sad.
I doubt it's the last time we'll see Middle-Earth. Jackson has spoken a number of times about all the extra footage he's shot that has never been released. The studio will be be sure to find a way to cash in on that. They'll also look for more Tolkien work to mine for films. I think The Hobbit's been dragged out unnecessarily with some additional material that doesn't really need to be there, but they're relatively entertaining.
I would recommend anyone who has enjoyed the films and the books try to pay a visit to Hobbiton in New Zealand. It is almost like walking right into the Shire, it's quite a magical experience.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 01:18:41 AM »
Ignoring my views on either movie trilogy (since I have a tendency to look at movies as well...movies, as opposed to adaptations.  Which when viewed that way, both are kind of meh), but this might be the last of the Middle-Earth stuff for awhile.    I believe they don't have the rights to the Unfinished Tales or the Silmarillion.   That's why Gandalf couldn't remember the names of the two blue wizards when talking about them to Bilbo. 

Offline AshKB

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 01:39:37 AM »
What happened to Peter Jackson was that this time, he can expand things in a universe he loves. He LOVES Middle-Earth. Adores it. But the LotR movies were about trying to tell an epic in only three movies, which means things had to be concise. Things got left out. And it was also more of a risk. The Hobbit movies, they were able to take things and expand and connect. Make the original story deeper.

And, yeah, it views a bit like fanfic compared to the first trilogy. But I actually don't have a problem with this. Fanfic is from love, too. Fanfic can take things and makes them deeper, pulls in ideas from different texts, looks at cultural dialogues. Which is what I think they are trying to do. Of course it's YMMV if it works, but that's the same with everything. The movies are entertaining, and fun, with a cast and crew who having so much fun and pouring so much love of the source material into this. They aren't trying to win awards, or try and make things Darker and Edgier. Just tell the story.

It makes a nice change.

And personally, the Hobbit movies make me happy. Ridiculously happy in fannish glee. I happen to adore the characters, and the depth we now see to them (in direct contrast to the book, I might add, which is very shallow characterization to everyone except really Bilbo). I don't feel taken advantage of at all, just invited to join in even more. I am someone who is increasingly bitter at the Marvel movies, where I AM feeling taken advantage of. So it's not as I'm unfamiliar with the feeling, but to me personally, I don't get that vibe from the Hobbit movies.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:43:28 AM by AshKB »
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson