June 05, 2020, 11:54:53 PM

Author Topic: What fantasy books do you wish would be made into a movie?  (Read 9656 times)

Offline ericfomley

Re: What fantasy books do you wish would be made into a movie?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
Tolkien's Silmarillion has material for many movies. I would particularly with a movie about Beren and Lúthien.
Yeah I really like that idea. I love Tolkien's lore more than any other in the whole of fantasy. I'm more than happy reading it, but watching it suits me as well!
Eric S. Fomley

Offline J Wade Harrell

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »
They were supposed to be making an Elric movie but it seems to be falling through. I thought it could make a great movie if done correctly with the technology we have now.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser movie.

Thirdly, not exactly fantasy but sort of, At the Mountains of Madness would be awesome.
J. Wade Harrell
Author of Shadows of Siernod
http://www.jwadeharrell.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 10:42:53 PM »
They were supposed to be making an Elric movie but it seems to be falling through. I thought it could make a great movie if done correctly with the technology we have now.

Thirdly, not exactly fantasy but sort of, At the Mountains of Madness would be awesome.
At the Mountains of Madness qualifies as dark fantasy. I'm not sure I could sit through a movie of that without running from the cinema screaming at some point.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline J Wade Harrell

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 11:15:31 PM »

At the Mountains of Madness qualifies as dark fantasy. I'm not sure I could sit through a movie of that without running from the cinema screaming at some point.

LoL. Actually, I remember talk about Madness being made so I checked IMDB and it looks like it's on the shelf and might not ever get filmed. You're off the hook.
J. Wade Harrell
Author of Shadows of Siernod
http://www.jwadeharrell.com

Offline andreasn

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »
I think Robin Hobb's farseer trilogy would be awesome as a movie if they got past trying to make it into a crazy action movie with too much special effects.

Offline AshKB

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 10:03:28 AM »
Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series I think could be an amazing franchise, particularly the first two. The world's different enough to be interesting, and the heist aspect isn't something we've seen a lot of.

And I really, really want to see the set designers having fun with that world.
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline The Tsunami

What fantasy books do you wish would be made into a movie?
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
If have to say The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett would be an amazing movie. The Graphic Audio they did for it was absolutely thrilling and I would love a movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Follow me @TsuIVami  I Follow Back.
Add me on GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/20571301-john-barry

Offline Phil the Drill

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 06:31:10 AM »
I know there's already a Polish version of the Witcher, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Hollywood version. Actually, maybe I would...I guess it depends on who gets a hold of it.

I don't think it could be possible to make this, but the Malazan Book of the Fallen would also be incredible if they could pull it off somehow. I think there's too much going on in those books though to faithfully do it justice.
“I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, & am content.” Robert E. Howard

Offline TravisGGAnderson

• Shadow Op
  • Sweet DM, voracious reader, and karaoke killer :)
    • View Profile
    • Just One More Game
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 07:01:12 PM »
Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series I think could be an amazing franchise, particularly the first two. The world's different enough to be interesting, and the heist aspect isn't something we've seen a lot of.

And I really, really want to see the set designers having fun with that world.

I agree wholeheartedly!
"Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it's always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins.”
-Neil Gaiman

http://tgganderson.wordpress.com/

Offline Hamo

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 10:34:34 AM »
I would go with Homeland by R.A Salvatore, A film on Drizzt's origin story would be awesome!

However I don't know how well it would translate on screen, being in The Underdark and all :P

I don't think it could be possible to make this, but the Malazan Book of the Fallen would also be incredible if they could pull it off somehow. I think there's too much going on in those books though to faithfully do it justice.

Malazan films or tv show would be amazing, but the budget to do it justice would be crazy.
I've always thought an animated series of it would be cool.

Offline Sa5muelSB

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »
I would love to see the Silmarillion on the screen. But also, who would not want to see Jorg on screen...after all we have seen Katnis Everdeen and she is the same age as Jorg in the books...so, why not?
Samuel S. B.

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »
I ve recently been reading Words of Radiance, and have to say the Stormlight Archives feel like a tv series pitch. Full of great fight sequences, impressive magic and very episodic.  Plus Sanderson would keep ahead of the tv writers.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 12:07:52 AM »
I ve recently been reading Words of Radiance, and have to say the Stormlight Archives feel like a tv series pitch. Full of great fight sequences, impressive magic and very episodic.  Plus Sanderson would keep ahead of the tv writers.

Perhaps a replacement for GoT when that wraps up?  I know they have VERY different feels, but it would keep that geek cash flowing.

Though, wouldn't it take like 20 seasons to tell the story? 

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »

Perhaps a replacement for GoT when that wraps up?  I know they have VERY different feels, but it would keep that geek cash flowing.

Though, wouldn't it take like 20 seasons to tell the story?
They keep talking about WoT. Maybe someone could use that as a replacement GoT? Joe Abercrombie's stuff would fit if done right.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline NathanTDean

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
Gentleman Bastard and Lovecraft has already been mentioned, and those would be perfect. Someone mentioned a replacement for GoT and I think Scott Lynch might fit, but I'd prefer a movie franchise. If they did it as a TV series I'd want expanded universe stuff.

And in saying that, anything from The Culture by Iain. M. Banks. I always wanted to be the guy to make the movies in that world. I wouldn't want adaptations of books, because some of the concepts trascend 3D spacetime and thus could not be accurately shown in the movie. I just want some characters, some ships, some stories. Filler between the novels so to speak. You get to see the world without ruining the books.

This is never done enough. People always just straight up adapt the book without thinking "is there another story in this world that suits the movie more than it would in abook". Lets make the world bigger, not incorrectly and disappointedly translated.

My two cents, coppers and a load of loose change.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and adventures are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes and forgotten." - Neil Gaiman