May 27, 2020, 01:08:05 PM

Author Topic: What comic book are you reading?  (Read 40393 times)

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: What comic book are you reading?
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2017, 10:26:46 AM »
The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil by Stephen Collins
The Real Powers That Be

Offline DaniMcDani

« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2017, 03:05:58 AM »
Hi -- I haven't visited this forum a lot yet --where does one go to geek out  here over SAGA? 

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2017, 03:08:34 AM »
Hi -- I haven't visited this forum a lot yet --where does one go to geek out  here over SAGA?

Geek away! I read the first trade book, but then my son took them back when he went home after Christmas. He asked for books 6 and 7 for his birthday, so we picked them up the other day. I liked it a lot. Fantastically imaginative.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2017, 01:58:24 AM »
Running back through The Walking Dead, compendium 2. At Chapter 14 of 16. Compendium is 1000pgs+ for reference.

This is gonna be good. Wanna catch up to where the TV series is before it starts back up again.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2017, 04:54:33 PM »
Finished Catching up on Saga, but most importantly have been reading all issues of Rumble, drawn by a guy I discovered in BRPD, James Harren.
It's fucked up crazy, like a wild monster story made just to showcase his crazy cool drawing style. A god-warrior's soul stuck in a scarecrow, wielding a huge ass divine sword against the monsters left over from ancient times, in the middle of some dingy human town. Awesome sauce.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Yora

« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »
I was on a training course last week (and got certification to distribute pesticides, among other things) and got an opportunity to read the first three volumes of Hellsing from my roommate.

After all the hype over all those years, I found it to be actually really disappointing. There are some interesting character designs (Integra, Seras, Bernadotte) but they have no real personality of any kind. And those faint traces of a narrative that stand in for a plot are really light weight. At least for the first three volumes the content is really all just violence and gore action scenes with little rhyme or reason to them.

And this comes from someone who considers Evangelion and Elfen Lied to have surprisingly complex depth and fascinating characterization.

Armies of ghouls in ballistic armor with sub machine guns kick ass, though.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2017, 08:58:46 PM »
I'm just about the start reading volume 1 of Constantine: The Hellblazer.
Now, I am a huge fan of the original Hellblazer series by Vertigo. I have it all. I tried the Constantine reboot sticking him into the DC universe properly and it was watered down beyond all but lip service. Awful. This new series has been recommended to me as more like the originals, so we shall see.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline DaveEllis

« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2017, 10:50:00 AM »
For the last couple of years I have been using this site www.cmro.travis-starnes.com, Marvel Unlimited and various minor purchases to read Marvel comics in chronological order from Fantastic Four 1.  I quickly reduced the pull list to just core books, so I read FF, Hulk, Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, all Spidey titles, all X Men related titles (Except Dazzler...jeez), and I dip in and out of all the others depending on interest.

It's been an interesting experience, a lot of it in the beginning is almost unreadable...and the classics are classics for the reason.  While I've found the odd issue that shines, most that stand out any average Marvel fan would have heard of FF 48-50 (The coming of Galactus), Death of Gwen Stacy, The Skrull-Kree war, etc.

I've recently just finished the Secret Wars story from 84 and now well into the Mid-80's and the quality is soaring, you can clearly see why it is the golden era of Marvel.  I've just finished Miller's run on Daredevil, which I had read before, and well into Claremont's X Men era (Rachel Summers has just turned up) but stuff I haven't read before, the black suit saga for Spiderman, John Byrne's Fantastic Four, Walt Simonson's Thor run, drunken Tony Stark...its all great.  The art is just starting to modernise, some is still outdated but some real standouts, like the art on New Mutants Demon Bear arc. 

For the first time reading is a genuine pleasure rather than the hard slog it felt like in the mid-70's, there are some truly terrible books in the first two decades of Marvel, and shock horror Stan Lee was not that great.

I'll make some recommendations as I head towards the 90's.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
For the last couple of years I have been using this site www.cmro.travis-starnes.com, Marvel Unlimited and various minor purchases to read Marvel comics in chronological order from Fantastic Four 1.  I quickly reduced the pull list to just core books, so I read FF, Hulk, Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, all Spidey titles, all X Men related titles (Except Dazzler...jeez), and I dip in and out of all the others depending on interest.

It's been an interesting experience, a lot of it in the beginning is almost unreadable...and the classics are classics for the reason.  While I've found the odd issue that shines, most that stand out any average Marvel fan would have heard of FF 48-50 (The coming of Galactus), Death of Gwen Stacy, The Skrull-Kree war, etc.

I've recently just finished the Secret Wars story from 84 and now well into the Mid-80's and the quality is soaring, you can clearly see why it is the golden era of Marvel.  I've just finished Miller's run on Daredevil, which I had read before, and well into Claremont's X Men era (Rachel Summers has just turned up) but stuff I haven't read before, the black suit saga for Spiderman, John Byrne's Fantastic Four, Walt Simonson's Thor run, drunken Tony Stark...its all great.  The art is just starting to modernise, some is still outdated but some real standouts, like the art on New Mutants Demon Bear arc. 

For the first time reading is a genuine pleasure rather than the hard slog it felt like in the mid-70's, there are some truly terrible books in the first two decades of Marvel, and shock horror Stan Lee was not that great.

@DaveEllis , a very interesting post. Having read many of those when they first came out, especially late '60s-early '80s, I think my perception would be misted by the age I was and the sense of nostalgia. Cool to hear the view of someone basically new to them and with more modern media as a framework.

There was an issue of Son of Fu Manchu (not a core book) in which nothing happens except the hero and his girlfriend relaxing and making out between adventures. There was almost no dialogue or none, and the panels were "narrated" with lyrics from the Fleetwood Mac album, Rumors. I listened to Rumors again the other day and found I was bored stiff. But at that age, the issue was some of awesome.

How time changes things.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline DaveEllis

« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2017, 03:03:36 PM »

@DaveEllis , a very interesting post. Having read many of those when they first came out, especially late '60s-early '80s, I think my perception would be misted by the age I was and the sense of nostalgia. Cool to hear the view of someone basically new to them and with more modern media as a framework.

There was an issue of Son of Fu Manchu (not a core book) in which nothing happens except the hero and his girlfriend relaxing and making out between adventures. There was almost no dialogue or none, and the panels were "narrated" with lyrics from the Fleetwood Mac album, Rumors. I listened to Rumors again the other day and found I was bored stiff. But at that age, the issue was some of awesome.

How time changes things.

I grew up on the 90's cartoons but never had access to a decent comic shop or the money to read consistently.  Marvel Unlimited is a godsend, although it does have some annoying gaps in the main runs, Daredevil stops when Miller does and then comes back when Miller does, haha. 

I knew going in that the 60's and 70's was going to be more for kids, and simplified.  What I wasn't prepared for was the sexism and the racism.  The former just in the treatment of the women and the love interests, I'd argue its not till Claremont takes over X Men do you actually get a proper female character with her own agency, at least beyond swooning at men (Wasp) or being wifey (Invisible Girl - she doesn't even become Invisible Woman for twenty years) The racism is trying to tackle it, I guess, but some of the terms and language thrown about in a kids comic is downright shocking in the 70's.

I think coming from a more modern sensibility of arcs, crossovers and the lack of the need to describe every singe action, (cos you know...pictures!!)  has coloured my perceptions, which is probably why the 80's are more enjoyable as you get long form stories, better art and more interesting stories.  The biggest change is when Walt Simonson takes over Thor...he still does all the olde worlde language, still has Loki scheming and Odin being an ass...but somehow it just works where before it was just dead boring.

I could go on...maybe I'll write a blog about it.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2017, 04:21:57 AM »
Calling @Nora  What have you done?? Joy oh joy!!

Saga Volume One just arrived and I am only on Chapter 4 but I will have to keep following this forever ;D ;D

THANK YOU FOR RECOMMENDING IT

And I would definitely like to own a Lying Cat
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline HAnthe

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »
I'm just about the start reading volume 1 of Constantine: The Hellblazer.
Now, I am a huge fan of the original Hellblazer series by Vertigo. I have it all. I tried the Constantine reboot sticking him into the DC universe properly and it was watered down beyond all but lip service. Awful. This new series has been recommended to me as more like the originals, so we shall see.

Is this any good?  We have a couple volumes where I work, but I haven't wanted to touch them because I was so disappointed by the end few volumes of original Hellblazer, and just disgusted by Justice League Dark and the like...  Sure the old times can't come back, but when even John Constantine is transmuted into schlock, what's the point in continuing?

Meanwhile in comics, I recently finished Exlibrium by Natalya Devova (interesting ideas -- wizards who track down rogue literary characters -- but a mediocre translation), Welcome Back v.1 by Christopher Sebela (again, interesting -- constantly reincarnating destined-enemy assassins, IN LOVE! -- but I don't know if I'm hooked), and The Witcher: House of Glass, by Paul Tobin, which despite never having played The Witcher, I really enjoyed.

Offline shieldfire

« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
Found volume 1 Collection for a decent price so picked it up and re-started Fables. I wonder if it would have been more interesting as a TV series than Once Upon a Time is (for me). It's basically the something of the same concept.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2018, 10:46:39 PM »
I have returned to Saga and have volume 7 and 8 sitting unread at home. I decided to read the entire series again from volume 1 onwards. Just finished Volume 3. Bloody hell, the first three volumes are packed full. I have read volumes 4, 5 and 6 but can't remember as much happening as in volumes 1 to 3!  Will have to continue the reread and see if I am right!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:44 PM »
Completely up to date with Saga now. And now feel upset it will be several months until volume 9.

Only complaint I have is with the Will. What the hell is the point of him? That plotline goes no where!
The Real Powers That Be