October 27, 2020, 12:14:27 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 368408 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #315 on: February 15, 2015, 12:27:33 AM »
Things I'd like to watch, but the TV stations won't show it  >:(
Agent Carter
Gotham - we've seen the first 8 (I think!) eps, but it doesn't look like it's coming back any time soon
It's back in the States, starting with James as a guard at Arkham.  Love this show, my current network favorite.  It doesn't hurt, Firefly fans, that Morena Baccarrin is on the show as his new love interest. Next episode... The Joker.
Not just Firefly fans, Morena Baccarin fans in general. She was also in V and Homeland, one of the most stunningly beautiful women to ever grace the screen. I was rather meh on Gotham before, but now I want to see it just for her.
Meh on Gotham?  Say it ain't so.  But yes, Morena is pretty spectacular.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #316 on: February 15, 2015, 02:50:25 AM »
Things I'd like to watch, but the TV stations won't show it  >:(
Agent Carter
Gotham - we've seen the first 8 (I think!) eps, but it doesn't look like it's coming back any time soon
It's back in the States, starting with James as a guard at Arkham.  Love this show, my current network favorite.  It doesn't hurt, Firefly fans, that Morena Baccarrin is on the show as his new love interest. Next episode... The Joker.
Not just Firefly fans, Morena Baccarin fans in general. She was also in V and Homeland, one of the most stunningly beautiful women to ever grace the screen. I was rather meh on Gotham before, but now I want to see it just for her.
Meh on Gotham?  Say it ain't so.  But yes, Morena is pretty spectacular.
I dunno, it just kind of looked like it was trying to get that hard gritty feel that Arrow has, but failing to do so. I did like Donal Logue, though. However he was really playing the same character that Donal Logue played in Sons of Anarchy, Vikings and Copper. It could also be that I'm really not that big a Batman fan. I far preferred Dave Sim's version of him in The Cockroach.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

BeardKing

« Reply #317 on: February 17, 2015, 03:24:31 PM »
Back to The Walking Dead and Vikings on Thursday!

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #318 on: February 17, 2015, 04:51:39 PM »
Walking Dead on Sunday. Better Call Saul on Monday.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #319 on: February 21, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »
It's not even close to Fantasy, but I'm watching the new Amazom Original series Bosch, which is very good.  Super acting, smart script, and for @Yora, verging on Noir, though not on Sword and Scorcery  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline DMHamilton

« Reply #320 on: March 05, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »
Just finished the 1st season of the Uk 'The Musketeers' series, which I really enjoyed. Great sets and costumes (although not necessarily historically accurate) and above all some great sword fighting.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #321 on: March 06, 2015, 10:21:34 AM »
Watched Battle of the Five Armies on the home screen last night, because son is home and hadn't seen it. I found it was much better the second time. My brain was no longer going "WHATTTTT??!?!" and I could enjoy many things. I did not enjoy the protracted mano-a-mano climax to the Battle the second time any more than the first however. And lots of  small and tiny things remain stupid (Dune sand worms anyone? And how light is that chest Bilbo is carrying at the end? Might hold some quills and ink at best, or a pair of whitey-tighties).

BUT, this is not a full on disaster and there are actually many things to like. It did feel sad to think it's all over.

But not sad like when I was thirteen and read the entire Trilogy in one weekend, barely sleeping, reading at the table and ignoring everyone. I came down from my room with tears rolling down my cheeks, and my dad said, "Was it sad?", and I said, "No, it was wonderful!"

Though re: the worms, apparently:
"Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert."
Bilbo Baggins,
in The Hobbit 1: An Unexpected Party

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:58:30 AM by Jmacyk »
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2015, 11:52:46 PM »
Watched Battle of the Five Armies on the home screen last night, because son is home and hadn't seen it. I found it was much better the second time. My brain was no longer going "WHATTTTT??!?!" and I could enjoy many things. I did not enjoy the protracted mano-a-mano climax to the Battle the second time any more than the first however. And lots of  small and tiny things remain stupid (Dune sand worms anyone? And how light is that chest Bilbo is carrying at the end? Might hold some quills and ink at best, or a pair of whitey-tighties).

BUT, this is not a full on disaster and there are actually many things to like. It did feel sad to think it's all over.

But not sad like when I was thirteen and read the entire Trilogy in one weekend, barely sleeping, reading at the table and ignoring everyone. I came down from my room with tears rolling down my cheeks, and my dad said, "Was it sad?", and I said, "No, it was wonderful!"

Though re: the worms, apparently:
"Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert."
Bilbo Baggins,
in The Hobbit 1: An Unexpected Party

I never saw them as coming from Dune. Whenever I see anything like that my brain always goes directly to one of the greatest creature films ever made in Tremors. Those right there were graboids. Started watching Breaking Bad over the past few weeks and it really is as a good as everyone says. Kind of glad I watched it after it's all finished and can just watch it all, fortunately I was able to remain unspoiled other than knowing the basic idea behind it.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #323 on: March 07, 2015, 12:05:28 AM »
Did the sandworms in Dune have coverings over their mouths? I never pictured them that way, to me they were essentially this (without the protruding bottom lip):

...incidentally:

I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #324 on: March 12, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »
Forever is back on in the UK tonight.
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline ladybritches

« Reply #325 on: March 20, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »
I just finished the first season of Sleepy Hollow. This is probably my favorite show on TV right now.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #326 on: March 20, 2015, 11:00:44 PM »
Started watching Agent Carter, and I can see what all the hype is about. The production values are stunning and nice to see that at least one of Joss Whedon's favourites in Enver Gjokaj is in it.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #327 on: March 21, 2015, 12:28:58 PM »
Watched Japanese animated movie Patema Inverted last night at recommendation of @Nora.
Fun, with brilliant concept (inversion), beautiful art. Lovely things in the relationships of three main characters.
Unfortunately, the English voices are incredibly over-wrought and the moral is just pounded into you.
I give it 5 out of 5 for concept/art, and a 3 on script. But see my signature line: Points? What are these points?

It was lovely. Watch it, but be patient with some ham-handedness.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #328 on: March 21, 2015, 01:12:41 PM »
Watched Japanese animated movie Patema Inverted last night at recommendation of @Nora.
Fun, with brilliant concept (inversion), beautiful art. Lovely things in the relationships of three main characters.
Unfortunately, the English voices are incredibly over-wrought and the moral is just pounded into you.
I give it 5 out of 5 for concept/art, and a 3 on script. But see my signature line: Points? What are these points?

It was lovely. Watch it, but be patient with some ham-handedness.
I can't bear watching anything dubbed. Original language + subs for me, it's a far better experience every single time. Might watch that one later today :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Conan

« Reply #329 on: April 02, 2015, 03:59:40 AM »
The wife and I are watching The White Queen on Starz.

Looks like it was made a couple years ago but we are catching it for the first time.

History of the War of the Roses.

5 episodes into it, pretty intense civil war. Very interesting.

Two thumbs up. :)

c

Tied up and twisted; gnarled and knotted with wrinkles; haggardly firm and unyielding; his eyes glowing like coals, that still glow in the ashes of ruin; untottering Ahab stood forth in the clearness of the morn; lifting his splintered helmet of a brow to the fair girl's forehead of heaven.