April 01, 2020, 10:35:24 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 294600 times)

Offline DDRRead

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2013, 07:06:52 AM »
Really enjoyed the pilot for Almost Human. I can't imagine a cyberpunk style sci-fi show doing well with mainstream audiences, but I hope it sticks around for at least one season. This is my kind of show. I haven't watched the second episode yet, but I'm hoping it keeps up the energy and vibe from the pilot.

Yeah I thought it was pretty good too. There was some clunk, and most of the characters are a bit generic cop show, but the two central characters are good (helps when you have Carl Urban playing your main character).

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2013, 11:34:01 PM »
I unfortunately haven't been able to read much for the past month (at least not by my standards), but that has opened up some time to try and watch some shows. This is what I've tried:

World Without End - really enjoying this
American Horror Story - I've only watched one episode, but it was good. Love Violet.
Arrow - meh. Kills time.
Breaking Bad - It's good. Reminds me of Weeds, but different. (obviously)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #212 on: December 16, 2013, 02:50:15 AM »
Geez, Man of Steel sucked. But The Hobbit 2 was awesomesauce!
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #213 on: December 16, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »

Have you watched The Pillars of the Earth? (World Without End is the sort-of-but-barely sequel) Pretty great adaptation of one of my favourite books. Quite, erm, Thrones-y in its style, just without the dragons.  ;)
Make Another World.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #214 on: December 16, 2013, 01:12:49 PM »

Have you watched The Pillars of the Earth? (World Without End is the sort-of-but-barely sequel) Pretty great adaptation of one of my favourite books. Quite, erm, Thrones-y in its style, just without the dragons.  ;)

I haven't. World Without End is on Netflix. After I finished (absolutely loved it), I looked for Pillars of the Earth. Couldn't find it digitally anywhere, but may break down and buy the BluRays. But then I was conflicted if I should read the book instead. Definitely closer to Game of Thrones style than much of anything else I have seen/read. Could see why it would be one of your favorites. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #215 on: January 01, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »
I know it's not fantasy, but other non-fantasy series were mentioned here, so..

Sherlock Holmes today, hurrah! :D :D

BBC iplayer has got a mini-episode as anticipation for today - they say it's got hints, but I'll only be able to understand once I know, I guess...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01np1b8/Sherlock_Series_3_Sherlock_Mini_Episode_Many_Happy_Returns/
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
I found this comment when I searched for "x-files":
Now, if only I could get my hands on all the X-Files...my collection would be complete :)
and I know it's old, but just to say that last year I bought a (literal) box with the whole 9 series of the X-Files, plus the two movies (just £50 at HMV!), and I did something that I always wanted: I watched all the mythology episodes in a row, throughout. I finished today :D

Although some bits feel a bit old, I think that on the whole the series is still amazing, and some episodes still hit me the way they did way back when, when I saw them live on TV.
Yes, sci-fi has evolved, technology has evolved, but I believe this series will be a continuing milestone in TV history.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 07:00:59 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Jeni

« Reply #218 on: February 15, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »
Well since I've been unable to concentrate enough to read for the last few months, I've managed to watch all 10 series/seasons of Smallville instead. :)

Offline JonRock411

« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2014, 05:56:22 PM »
I'm currently doing a weird classic movie marathon (weird as in I have a very odd definition of classic).  I also recently got HBO back up so I'm going to check out True Detective and then I'm thinking of starting a marathon of Game Of Thrones in preparation for Season 4. (I've done the math, it's 1679 minutes or 1 day, 3 hours and 59 minutes in total.   Accounting for breaks, sleep, food and simple clicking to the next episode, I can get it done in a week, I have seven.)   

I also need to catch up on House Of Cards since Season 2 came out and I'm still on one.

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »
How I Met Your Mother season 9 is now airing in the UK so that. Unfortunately this means The Big Bang Theory is postponed until April! That's about all at the moment.
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »
Just (finally) got around to watching The Girl Who Leaped Through Time. I don't know why but I went in expecting wacky time travel comedy and not what I actually got, which turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I got quite choked up by the end. Recommended.
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
  • Bring Us The Girl And Wipe Away The Debt
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 23, 2014, 01:04:52 AM »
Finally caught up with True Detective (loving it) and next I have to catch up with Bates Motel
“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”

? Anomander Rake

Offline simonster

« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »
Just (finally) got around to watching The Girl Who Leaped Through Time. I don't know why but I went in expecting wacky time travel comedy and not what I actually got, which turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I got quite choked up by the end. Recommended.

Amen to that. :D

Wolf Children by the same director was just released (English version DVD) and that's well worth watching too.

Offline Phil the Drill

« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »
I'm way behind most people and just finished up Game of Thrones Season 3. I liked it a lot, but I think Season 1 is still my favorite so far.

I'm looking for a new series to watch and I have all of Deadwood, so that'll be my next one to marathon binge on. :)
“I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, & am content.” Robert E. Howard