April 10, 2021, 11:14:15 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 426142 times)

Offline hexa

• Ambient Mage

Online J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1966 on: April 07, 2021, 04:26:22 AM »

Plus, getting more actors and writers of colour involved in big productions can boost their careers and mean we can hopefully start getting more stories--historical and contemporary--that are stories of and about characters of colour. (For instance, and I don't actually know the answer on this, do we get Atlanta partly because Donald Glover was in Community?)

I wouldn't doubt it.

Completely unrelated, but what is DOTA? You clearly don't mean the computer game... or do you? :o

There's a Netflix series based on the computer game DOTA2.  Obvi it's very loose b/c DOTA2 is not really a narrative-driven game.  Computer science kids love it, and I had a roommate that went on about his ranking for a long time and I really never understood a word he said when he was talking about DOTA2, but I watched the series and I really liked it. It's very anime-ish.  Idk I think if you like anime, you might like it.

Online J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1967 on: April 07, 2021, 04:27:51 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dota:_Dragon%27s_Blood

Have you seen the series @hexa ? Did you like it?  SOMEONE WATCH IT PLEASE!!! :) :)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Mistborn
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #1968 on: April 07, 2021, 10:17:19 AM »
Some good points there from Guybrush Darewood and cupiscent. I think, like with anything, anachronistic casting can be done both poorly and well. I haven't seen Bridgewood, but it seems like it's been done with more awareness there, more, I don't the right word, panache? Like, if you do it, make it blatantly intentional: I mean, it doesn't represent the reality of history, so you might as well have some fun. I feel like the Irregulars tiptoe around it and fail to engage with it, and that doesn't work at all for me.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1969 on: April 07, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »
Side comment: ooooh you liked The Great, @cupiscent, I didn't know anyone else who'd seen it/enjoyed it!  :D
She (well, almost everyone!) was great, right? Such a funny series and at the same time so relevant, hitting a bunch of important points about society and the ruling of a country almost as a side note...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #1970 on: April 07, 2021, 12:40:37 PM »
Side comment: ooooh you liked The Great, @cupiscent, I didn't know anyone else who'd seen it/enjoyed it!  :D
She (well, almost everyone!) was great, right? Such a funny series and at the same time so relevant, hitting a bunch of important points about society and the ruling of a country almost as a side note...

I LOVED IT SO MUCH!! ;D oh gosh, it was such a good time, and yes also, as you say, so relevant on so many points. And yes, Elle Fanning was absolutely superb, but Nicholas Hoult, my goodness, how did he manage to be so compelling, so much fun, and yet such an unrelenting douchecanoe? His delivery of every single line was superb, and we have been saying, "Huzzah!" ever since watching it.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 07, 2021, 12:56:04 PM »
Huzzah! ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1972 on: April 07, 2021, 08:54:21 PM »

I LOVED IT SO MUCH!! ;D oh gosh, it was such a good time, and yes also, as you say, so relevant on so many points. And yes, Elle Fanning was absolutely superb, but Nicholas Hoult, my goodness, how did he manage to be so compelling, so much fun, and yet such an unrelenting douchecanoe? His delivery of every single line was superb, and we have been saying, "Huzzah!" ever since watching it.

Haha I watched 3/4 of it!  And that's kind of a big deal b/c I get suuuuuper irate when the entertainment industry murders history and sort of mis-educates entire generations.  I loved how clueless they made Peter but also Catherine with her high-minded obliviousness.