January 16, 2021, 11:59:18 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 397409 times)

Offline cupiscent

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1890 on: November 15, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »
Is anyone watching Brave new world or Minority report (TV)?

Very weird adaptation, the first, and I keep thinking of the film, regarding the latter....

My husband's been watching Brave New World, and he was really enjoying it up until the latest episode (the last?) which he said got needlessly and meaninglessly blockbuster-action-movie. Up until then, he was very much enjoying the character and setting work.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1891 on: November 15, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »
Ah, I've only watched 6 so far (got 7 recorded from friday), just checked there are 9 in total.

My feeling was the unnecessary focus on orgies and revealing (women) clothes, hehe, like it was written by a teenage boy ::)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Bridgeburner
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #1892 on: November 15, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »
I listened to the Brave New World audiobook a while ago because I wanted to have experienced the source before seeing the series. I can see how the book could be used as an excuse to make a rather sordid TV show -- though if done well it could work well, as a large part of the premise is about our view on sexuality, monogamy, nudity, etc. But how well they actually pulled it off is another question. It's on my to-view list, which is currently rather large.

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1893 on: November 21, 2020, 08:35:39 PM »
I've watched episodes 7 and 8 and they were quite different, almost as if it took all this time to reach the important points. Only one episode left.

By the way, I noticed there aren't any old people: what happens to them in this world? Is it mentioned in the book?

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1894 on: November 21, 2020, 10:05:31 PM »
Last night we went out! in public! with other people! to see a movie! (...this is very exciting for me, ok, I haven't been out to see a movie since, like, March.)

We saw Tenet, which was good fun if a sort of strange mix of dizzyingly fast and cannily plotted. (A lot of the whizbang timey-wimey stuff went past really fast, but all the stuff you actually needed, including emotional beats, were solidly and elegantly planted so you had them when you needed them.) Visually, it was amazing, so I'm really glad we got the chance to see it on the big screen.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• Bridgeburner
« Reply #1895 on: November 22, 2020, 09:45:29 PM »
I've watched episodes 7 and 8 and they were quite different, almost as if it took all this time to reach the important points. Only one episode left.

By the way, I noticed there aren't any old people: what happens to them in this world? Is it mentioned in the book?

Yes, and I'm sure you'll learn about it in the final few episodes as it's very much a part of the whole deal.

Offline isos81

« Reply #1896 on: November 22, 2020, 10:21:38 PM »
I've watched The Mandalorian Season 1. It was all nice until that terrible ending.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Magnus Hedén

• Bridgeburner
« Reply #1897 on: November 27, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
Started watching Brave New World. Two episodes in and it's pretty clear to me they missed some of the core points of the book. I understand that they had to make changes both in the setting as some parts of the book haven't aged particularly well, and in the narrative because in the book it's more than a bit messy. But they don't set up the society well enough to show off the contrast, and instead of changing the "savage lands" into something not quite so offensive, they just made up something entirely new. I just feel like they missed the point. We'll see after I've seen it all.

Online Bender

« Reply #1898 on: November 27, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
I started on Forged in Fire, but gave up quickly. Wasn't really engaging enough both technically and as entertainment.

I've watched The Mandalorian Season 1. It was all nice until that terrible ending.

What didn't you like about that ending?
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #1899 on: November 27, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
I started on Forged in Fire, but gave up quickly. Wasn't really engaging enough both technically and as entertainment.

Is that the Forged in fire  (red hot seals series)  by Trish McCallen? Good on you for trying different genres !
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #1900 on: November 28, 2020, 07:26:09 PM »
I watched Raised by Wolves, and loved it. Second season will be decided, tho.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Magnus Hedén

• Bridgeburner
« Reply #1901 on: November 29, 2020, 08:31:17 AM »

I loved it at the start, then I got that feeling.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That Lost feeling. Like they were just introducing new mysteries and not giving us any answers. And it just kept getting worse, right up till the end.

It kind of ruined it for me, because it's such an awesome production, with some absolutely stellar acting.

Offline isos81

« Reply #1902 on: November 30, 2020, 08:45:06 AM »

I loved it at the start, then I got that feeling.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That Lost feeling. Like they were just introducing new mysteries and not giving us any answers. And it just kept getting worse, right up till the end.

It kind of ruined it for me, because it's such an awesome production, with some absolutely stellar acting.

I agree. That's why I tried to say "2nd season will be decider" (typo there, wrote decided instead of decider). I think 2nd season will decide the fate of the show. It will either be a masterpiece or a failed Lost lookalike.

Online Bender

« Reply #1903 on: November 30, 2020, 06:15:14 PM »

Is that the Forged in fire  (red hot seals series)  by Trish McCallen? Good on you for trying different genres !

Jeez, now I can't get this out of my mind. "Open herself to a psychic connection with a sexy seal" - I had to cringe even reading the blurb! 

Perhaps @cupiscent has read this before!  ;D

Quote from: Forged in Fire
Beth Brown doesn’t believe in premonitions until she dreams a sexy stranger is gunned down during the brutal hijacking of a commercial airliner. When events in her dream start coming true, she heads to the flight’s departure gate. To her shock, she recognizes the man she’d watched die the night before.

Lieutenant Commander Zane Winters comes from a bloodline of elite warriors with psychic abilities. When Zane and two of his platoon buddies arrive at Sea-Tac Airport, he has a vision of his teammates’ corpses. Then she arrives—a leggy blonde who sets off a different kind of alarm.

As Beth teams up with Zane, they discover the hijacking is the first step in a secret cartel’s deadly global agenda and that key personnel within the FBI are compromised. To survive the forces mobilizing against them, Beth will need to open herself to a psychic connection with the sexy SEAL who claims to be her soul mate.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1904 on: November 30, 2020, 09:14:49 PM »
 ;D why don't people check for existing names?

I just realised that when you're talking about "Raised by wolves" it's this series that's starting on Sky Atlantic here next week (I just set to record it after watching the trailer), and not the series of the same name based on Caitlin Moran's book...