November 24, 2020, 08:55:57 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 376602 times)

Offline cupiscent

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1890 on: November 15, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »
Is anyone watching Brave new world or Minority report (TV)?

Very weird adaptation, the first, and I keep thinking of the film, regarding the latter....

My husband's been watching Brave New World, and he was really enjoying it up until the latest episode (the last?) which he said got needlessly and meaninglessly blockbuster-action-movie. Up until then, he was very much enjoying the character and setting work.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1891 on: November 15, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »
Ah, I've only watched 6 so far (got 7 recorded from friday), just checked there are 9 in total.

My feeling was the unnecessary focus on orgies and revealing (women) clothes, hehe, like it was written by a teenage boy ::)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #1892 on: November 15, 2020, 12:00:51 PM »
I listened to the Brave New World audiobook a while ago because I wanted to have experienced the source before seeing the series. I can see how the book could be used as an excuse to make a rather sordid TV show -- though if done well it could work well, as a large part of the premise is about our view on sexuality, monogamy, nudity, etc. But how well they actually pulled it off is another question. It's on my to-view list, which is currently rather large.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1893 on: November 21, 2020, 08:35:39 PM »
I've watched episodes 7 and 8 and they were quite different, almost as if it took all this time to reach the important points. Only one episode left.

By the way, I noticed there aren't any old people: what happens to them in this world? Is it mentioned in the book?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #1894 on: November 21, 2020, 10:05:31 PM »
Last night we went out! in public! with other people! to see a movie! (...this is very exciting for me, ok, I haven't been out to see a movie since, like, March.)

We saw Tenet, which was good fun if a sort of strange mix of dizzyingly fast and cannily plotted. (A lot of the whizbang timey-wimey stuff went past really fast, but all the stuff you actually needed, including emotional beats, were solidly and elegantly planted so you had them when you needed them.) Visually, it was amazing, so I'm really glad we got the chance to see it on the big screen.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #1895 on: November 22, 2020, 09:45:29 PM »
I've watched episodes 7 and 8 and they were quite different, almost as if it took all this time to reach the important points. Only one episode left.

By the way, I noticed there aren't any old people: what happens to them in this world? Is it mentioned in the book?

Yes, and I'm sure you'll learn about it in the final few episodes as it's very much a part of the whole deal.

Offline isos81

« Reply #1896 on: November 22, 2020, 10:21:38 PM »
I've watched The Mandalorian Season 1. It was all nice until that terrible ending.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'