October 30, 2020, 04:53:51 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 368584 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1860 on: September 28, 2020, 07:18:49 AM »
Enola Holmes (Netflix)

What a shambles of a movie. If you're a fan of Sherlock books, you'd cry your heart out at this abomination.

A mish mash that wants to show Enola grow into her own, find her freedom from the oppressive time period, solve some mysteries....and failed pretty much in all of them. Nancy Drew solved better mysteries than this. The budding romance with the first boy she meets in real world just adds more misery on viewer. If you're looking at a strong, enabled female detective with a sharp mind....look elsewhere.

I didn’t mind it I quite liked it for a children’s film while watching I thought my nieces would love it. Lighthearted and fluffy I felt it had the same tone as the Johnny Depp Holmes film.

What I didn’t like isthe  author using the Holmes name and using the characters Sherlock/Mycroft come up with you own characters as it feels fan fic

I thought the actress who played Elona was very good and she made up for the weak mystery.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:49:30 AM by eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Cherie

« Reply #1861 on: September 28, 2020, 07:23:07 AM »
One episode into season 2 of The Boys and I am loving it. Nice to have a show that can balance drama with comedy so well. Homelander's psychopath tendencies have me in stitches.
I watched the whole lot that's out over the weekend.. I've not watched anything quite like it before.  :o

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1862 on: September 28, 2020, 08:04:57 AM »
What I didn’t like isthe  author using the Holmes name and using the characters Sherlock/Mycroft come up with you own characters as it feels fan fic
I haven't watched it, but the above is very pertinent, regarding a bunch of other series/movies as well. When do we cross the line between adaptation and 'pure fan fic not related at all with original'?

I've been watching Why women kill (up to episode 6 so far, please no spoilers!) and it's really good! I love the intermingling stories, the different eras,  the mystery of who dies (maybe even who kills? I assume the 3 main characters).
The main actresses are all amazing :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1863 on: September 28, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »
Enola Holmes (Netflix)

What a shambles of a movie. If you're a fan of Sherlock books, you'd cry your heart out at this abomination.

A mish mash that wants to show Enola grow into her own, find her freedom from the oppressive time period, solve some mysteries....and failed pretty much in all of them. Nancy Drew solved better mysteries than this. The budding romance with the first boy she meets in real world just adds more misery on viewer. If you're looking at a strong, enabled female detective with a sharp mind....look elsewhere.

I didn’t mind it I quite liked it for a children’s film while watching I thought my nieces would love it. Lighthearted and fluffy I felt it had the same tone as the Johnny Depp Holmes film.

I thought the actress who played Elona was very good and she made up for the weak mystery.

I dropped all of my expectations and exasperations about it being almost a fanfic of Sherlock Holms, and moderately enjoyed the film for the popcorn flick it was. It wasn't that great of a film, but I do really liked the actors (Millie Bobbie Brown, Henry Cavill, Sam Clafkin, and Helena Bonham Carter). It was worth watching the movie just to see these actors interact with one another and Henry Cavill as Sherlock, haha.

Offline Bender

« Reply #1864 on: September 28, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »
Fan Fic or not, it's not a reason for a poorly made movie.

Spoiler for Hiden:

That second person narrative talking to audience directly cut scenes....urgh!

- I didn't really understand the Edoria/Women's Suffrage angle. With all the dynamites and gunpowder plus the graphic of a exploding postbox (was it?)....Are Edoria and her women's gang involved in some kind of domestic terrorism scheme to gain attention?

As to Enola:
- Claims to be a fighter, but then she heads into a fights with stronger opponents and routinely gets her butt kicked.
- Figuring out the Uncle was the culprit incorrectly. Adding salt to injury, Sherlock later easily proves how wrong she was...How is that a testament to her skills?
- Spouts some nonsense about sharks and walks in blindfolded into a trap. The moment they enter the manor, it's obvious that was a trap...yet they still walk in making noise and attracting attention. Common sense, people!

And the portrayal of Mycroft annoys me the most. What a caricature of a character they made him just to play the evil men vs fighting women tangent!

Cavill as Sherlock did a good job...to those who haven't read the books. The eccentricity around Sherlock is totally missing (Benedict Cumberbatch did a great job in the TV show!)

It's like they haven't read any of the books, don't know the characters and just wanted to use the popular names to make their own bad movie!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 03:22:04 PM by Bender »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Bender

« Reply #1865 on: September 28, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »
One good thing the movie did....it rekindled my interest to go back and read the Sherlock books again!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1866 on: September 29, 2020, 04:27:29 AM »
Fan Fic or not, it's not a reason for a poorly made movie.

Spoiler for Hiden:

That second person narrative talking to audience directly cut scenes....urgh!

- I didn't really understand the Edoria/Women's Suffrage angle. With all the dynamites and gunpowder plus the graphic of a exploding postbox (was it?)....Are Edoria and her women's gang involved in some kind of domestic terrorism scheme to gain attention?

As to Enola:
- Claims to be a fighter, but then she heads into a fights with stronger opponents and routinely gets her butt kicked.
- Figuring out the Uncle was the culprit incorrectly. Adding salt to injury, Sherlock later easily proves how wrong she was...How is that a testament to her skills?
- Spouts some nonsense about sharks and walks in blindfolded into a trap. The moment they enter the manor, it's obvious that was a trap...yet they still walk in making noise and attracting attention. Common sense, people!

And the portrayal of Mycroft annoys me the most. What a caricature of a character they made him just to play the evil men vs fighting women tangent!

Cavill as Sherlock did a good job...to those who haven't read the books. The eccentricity around Sherlock is totally missing (Benedict Cumberbatch did a great job in the TV show!)

It's like they haven't read any of the books, don't know the characters and just wanted to use the popular names to make their own bad movie!

To argue that point though, is that there is actually an Enola Holms book series, and the film is probably based on that. https://www.google.com/search?q=enola+holmes+books&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH843TH843&oq=enola+holmes+bo&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.7390j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Following below are cases where the Conan Doyle Estate had attempted to sue movies/ books based on Sherlock Holms on two occasions, where the story have been mostly ruled out as public domain material.

"First, the Conan Doyle Estate at least seems willing to admit that the earlier works are now fully in the public domain:
"The first fifty of Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes short stories and novels are in the public domain." As referenced in the case where the Conan Doyle Estate had sued the author, Mitch Cullin, who wrote the book A Slight Trick of the Mind about a decade ago, and that's now been adapted into a film called Mr. Holmes, being released by Miramax.

Also in reference to another case: Enter Klinger and “In the Company of Sherlock Holmes,” the pending anthology he coedited with Laurie R. King. The anthology, coming from Pegasus, collects new stories inspired by (and including) Sherlock Holmes from writers Michael Connelly, Cornelia Funke, Harlan Ellison, Jeffery Deaver, Sara Paretsky and more.

Klinger brought suit against the estate, arguing that Sherlock Holmes and the other familiar elements of his stories — sidekick Dr. Watson, nemesis Moriarty, the famous lodgings at 221B Baker Street — should be free to use. “Sherlock Holmes belongs to the world,” Klinger wrote on his Free Sherlock website.

First U.S. District Judge Ruben Castillo found in favor of Klinger. That was in December; in June, Seventh Circuit Judge Richard Posner rejected an appeal by the Conan Doyle estate, siding with Klinger.

References: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150524/17521431095/sherlock-holmes-case-never-ending-copyright-dispute.shtml#:~:text=The%20first%20fifty%20of%20Conan,copyright%20in%20the%20United%20States.&text=The%20works%20still%20under%20copyright%20delve%20into%20it%20much%20more.

https://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-sherlock-holmes-public-domain-20140805-story.html
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 04:29:20 AM by S. K. Inkslinger »

Offline hexa

« Reply #1867 on: October 03, 2020, 06:48:26 AM »
A Japanese anime named The Irregular at Magic High School.  It is on Netflix.  It is like Harry Potter in Japan

Offline hexa

« Reply #1868 on: October 17, 2020, 01:49:29 AM »
An anime named King's Raid.  It is on Funimation.  It is high fantasy

Offline Bender

« Reply #1869 on: October 17, 2020, 02:44:01 AM »
Wanted a bit of happy Friday, so re-watching good animated movies. Watched Croods and now halfway through The Incredibles.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1870 on: October 17, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »
I’ve started a re-watch of “Avatar: the Last Airbender”. Slow and steady, one episode over a few days. I might finish by the time I retire  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Bender

« Reply #1871 on: October 17, 2020, 05:18:12 PM »
That's a great series. I watched the Earthbending arc episodes couple of weeks before.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1872 on: October 18, 2020, 04:19:39 AM »
I’ve started a re-watch of “Avatar: the Last Airbender”. Slow and steady, one episode over a few days. I might finish by the time I retire  ;)

It's definitely the best Western Cartoon I've ever watched. Team Avatar all the way!  ;D

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #1873 on: October 18, 2020, 09:01:38 AM »
Been watching 'Jojo's Bizarre Adventure'. I'm now on the third series. It certainly lives up to its name.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #1874 on: October 20, 2020, 10:25:29 PM »
Finishing The Haunting of Bly Manor. Great retelling of Henry James' turn of the screw.

It was pretty great throughout but just like 'the haunting of hill house' it feels a bit rushed towards the end of the series and could have been better with an extra episode or two to avoid the flood of information.

Personally I do believe it's a great homage to the book and anyone who liked it should give this show a try.