July 14, 2020, 08:25:43 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 332541 times)

Offline Bender

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1770 on: April 14, 2020, 04:27:24 PM »
I've just finished watching La Casa De Papel season 4, and I had to say, this had been the most awful season by far (even in comparison to other shows).

I'm surprised you lasted this long. I gave up after S1 when pace was on downswing and drama was on upswing.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: April 14, 2020, 08:45:23 PM »
Finally watching Firefly and loving it Sometimes the western/scifi mix doesn't quite work, but it's easy to see why it's s loved and influential.
It's the characters that make the show. I think my favourite episode is the finale.

Finished Firefly and Serenity. A really great show, and definitely deserves its reputation. I do think shows like Dark Matter and Killjoys have improved on the format though.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1772 on: April 15, 2020, 08:51:15 AM »
I've just finished watching La Casa De Papel season 4, and I had to say, this had been the most awful season by far (even in comparison to other shows).

I'm surprised you lasted this long. I gave up after S1 when pace was on downswing and drama was on upswing.

Even if it the drama was bad, it was at least less enough in comparison to the main plot in season 1 and 2. Starting from the third season the drama became the main part of the story, and that pretty much dragged everything downhill. The show's just a glorified soap opera now, unfortunately.

Offline Cherie

« Reply #1773 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:49 AM »
Finished Firefly and Serenity. A really great show, and definitely deserves its reputation. I do think shows like Dark Matter and Killjoys have improved on the format though.
I've not watched either of those, I might have a look when I've finished my rewatch of The Expanse.

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: April 17, 2020, 04:16:19 PM »
I've not watched either of those, I might have a look when I've finished my rewatch of The Expanse.

Absolutely love The Expanse too. cannot wait for the next season.

I'm now watching Babylon 5 for the first time. It's very weird, deserves its reputation as the anti-Star trek, but I'm enjoying it. Some of the acting is rather wooden though.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #1775 on: April 18, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »
On the last few episodes of Tales From The Loop and I'm absolutely loving it. Great series, incredibly true to the feel of Simon Stålenhag's art, with some Stranger Things and Fargo vibes going, too.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1776 on: April 19, 2020, 04:25:23 AM »
On the last few episodes of Tales From The Loop and I'm absolutely loving it. Great series, incredibly true to the feel of Simon Stålenhag's art, with some Stranger Things and Fargo vibes going, too.

Hearing about Fargo, how is the show? I've heard that it's an anthology series and thus different in every season. Would you recommend it for someone who likes crime drama shows like Peaky Blinders, Narcos, Breaking Bad, and the like?

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #1777 on: April 19, 2020, 07:20:56 AM »

Hearing about Fargo, how is the show? I've heard that it's an anthology series and thus different in every season. Would you recommend it for someone who likes crime drama shows like Peaky Blinders, Narcos, Breaking Bad, and the like?
It’s definitely quirky, you should also watch the film if you haven’t seen it. It’s different to the shows you mention, but does have elements in common. The acting is superb. If you haven’t watched Better Call Saul you may like that too. It’s kind of a prequel to Breaking Bad. Sons of Anarchy and it’s related spin-off The Mayans may also be enjoyable to you.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #1778 on: April 26, 2020, 07:13:35 PM »
I've made it to the end of the 4 season main story arc of Babylon 5, and I have to say the last season was a huge disappointment. With the company funding the show going bankrupt they had to rush the final season and it really shows. The third season is one of the most amazing seasons I can think of in any show, but season 4 feels rushed, slopply, and incoherent.
Later another company bought the show and had another season produced, but that one is considered infamously bad and I really have no desire to sit through that again.
What a big disappointment.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: April 26, 2020, 09:38:59 PM »
X Men:  The Animated Series

? Da na na naaaa na na... ?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: April 27, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »

Tied with batman animated for best Western animation opening.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1781 on: April 27, 2020, 09:47:07 AM »
Stopped watching House of Cards after I finished season 2. I went through reading the overall plot for the remaining seasons, and what a blasphemy. I felt enraged at how they treated the main characters and the story line, and I say to hell with the rest of the series. I'm just going to clutch at season 1 and 2 as one of the best television series I've ever seen and let's leave it happily at that.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: April 27, 2020, 11:18:12 AM »
Stopped watching House of Cards after I finished season 2. I went through reading the overall plot for the remaining seasons, and what a blasphemy. I felt enraged at how they treated the main characters and the story line, and I say to hell with the rest of the series. I'm just going to clutch at season 1 and 2 as one of the best television series I've ever seen and let's leave it happily at that.

Is that the usa version? really the British version the original is a lot better.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: April 27, 2020, 10:39:03 PM »

Tied with batman animated for best Western animation opening.

Bloody X-Men movie fans - Wolverine is the best X-Men, or maybe Mystique.

It is Gambit as all true 90s X-Men the animated series fans know - possibly Rogue who I am really appreciating on rewatching. 
The Real Powers That Be

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1784 on: April 28, 2020, 06:26:57 AM »

Is that the usa version? really the British version the original is a lot better.

Have you seen the american version? The first two seasons is pretty darn amazing, that's all I can say. Frank Underwood is definitely one of my favorite characters/ villains of all time, and I do learn certain ideals from him.

Besides, none of the things we've both liked have aligned so far, but thank you for the suggestion all the same.