April 22, 2019, 05:25:04 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 198493 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1560 on: January 15, 2019, 08:12:51 AM »

@Justan Henner , sounds like @Not Lu  and I have similar sensibilities!
I watched a couple of episodes of Season 3. I have to say I loved S1 and S2, but S3 feels like lazy writing, some of the characters don't feel like themselves, and while it's hard to oppose the "chosen one" trope on a fantasy board (i mean too many good classics fit the trope) it doesn't quite land coming in so late, and they didn't really need it. I do like the protagonist tho, and i find her demure cautious moments to be endearing.

Futureman Season 2 is hilarious.
In 2062 everyone is dumb af.  I have to say as I was watching it I kept thinking that if someone time traveled from the 90s to the present day tide pod/bird box challenge/alt facts/reality tv/meme generation they might feel more or less the same as the heroes of Futureman.....

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

« Reply #1561 on: January 20, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »
And it has all those quaint little alcoves...
;D

Beautiful city. It's like a fairy tale...
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1562 on: January 23, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »
Now that my wife and I are almost done binging it, I want to heartily recommend Narcos, for those that have Netflix. It's a riveting "true crime" story based on the real fight against the Colombian drug cartels in the 80s and 90s, and it does a great job of both telling a gripping crime story and actually making you sympathize (a little) with all its characters by showing their human side. The writing and acting is just superb all around, though I will warn you, they don't shy away from some of the more gruesome methods the cartels used to eliminate their enemies.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1563 on: February 04, 2019, 08:30:35 AM »
So Man in the High Castle Season 3 just really isn't doing it for me.  It's like the writers were like-- we're tired of all these characters... lets make every single one of them totally different people!!! Maybe the source material was like that, maybe they got new writers. Either way I wasn't feeling it and didn't make it far into the season.

I did start watching the Passage which was pretty good,

...but I very very much fell in love with Homecoming.  OMG its so good!  And the episodes are so short! It's a Sam Esmail thing (he did Mr. Robot)  and he's really good at generating this sinister atmosphere and his shots are really gorgeous.  He has this habit of making the most mundane things seem fascinating in his end credits.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1564 on: February 05, 2019, 09:33:04 AM »
Started watching a few episodes of Into the Badlands season 1. If you liked an action, fantasy, dystopian-ish series with loads of kungfu action but without much plot, this is totally spot on.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1565 on: February 05, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »
Started watching a few episodes of Into the Badlands season 1. If you liked an action, fantasy, dystopian-ish series with loads of kungfu action but without much plot, this is totally spot on.

I really enjoyed the first season. I wanted to watch the second, too, but stopped maybe halfway through? I think it was a mix of not having time for TV (was writing AND doing VR at the time) and also not being super intrigued by the plot, despite the incredibly well done action scenes and my like for the cast. Maybe I'll get back to it one day.

I will say that the Widow's fight scene in the first few eps remains one of my favorites. The sad thing is, I don't remember her ever again being quite that much of a badass.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1566 on: February 10, 2019, 12:06:22 PM »

I really enjoyed the first season. I wanted to watch the second, too, but stopped maybe halfway through? I think it was a mix of not having time for TV (was writing AND doing VR at the time) and also not being super intrigued by the plot, despite the incredibly well done action scenes and my like for the cast. Maybe I'll get back to it one day.

I will say that the Widow's fight scene in the first few eps remains one of my favorites. The sad thing is, I don't remember her ever again being quite that much of a badass.

I loved the Widow's fight scenes too (my favorite in season one was the one where she fought assassins in a bar). I started watching the show feeling really average with the plot, but the story does got progressively better until the finale. In addition to the kick-ass fight scenes, I do dig the coupe of Tilda and MK a bit, they do seemed a good match in my opinion.  ;D

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: February 10, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »

I loved the Widow's fight scenes too (my favorite in season one was the one where she fought assassins in a bar). I started watching the show feeling really average with the plot, but the story does got progressively better until the finale. In addition to the kick-ass fight scenes, I do dig the coupe of Tilda and MK a bit, they do seemed a good match in my opinion.  ;D

I love Into the Badlands so much. The opening of season 2 is one the best reveals I've seen in recent years. And the fight scenes just get better and better.

So naturally, it was cancelled today. >:(

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1568 on: February 10, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
I've watched "Inside out" today, and it's such a great movie - I found it a super way to describe depression, to use as a starting point with children, to talk about your feelings.
I'm discovering that there are many animated films that aren't Disney and address great important issues :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: February 10, 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
I've watched "Inside out" today, and it's such a great movie - I found it a super way to describe depression, to use as a starting point with children, to talk about your feelings.
I'm discovering that there are many animated films that aren't Disney and address great important issues :)
Inside out is pixar though which is 100% Disney these days. No escape from the Mouse :p

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1570 on: February 11, 2019, 07:04:29 AM »

It's a fun, beautifully put together show to watch. My only complaint is that they keep trying to make it so the widow isn't the hero of the story when she absolutely should be

Offline Rostum

« Reply #1571 on: February 17, 2019, 07:03:14 AM »
season 3 of the Expanse. So far very good.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #1572 on: February 19, 2019, 08:08:22 AM »
Just finished The Dragon Prince season 2, and now halfway through The Expanse season 3 which is damn good and so tense.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1573 on: February 19, 2019, 04:56:56 PM »
I've found the umbrella academy to be wildly entertaining

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1574 on: February 20, 2019, 12:16:27 AM »
I've found the umbrella academy to be wildly entertaining

I'm quite interested in this series too, also The Boys on Amazon prime. On other news, the Punisher just got officially canceled. I'm gonna miss my boy Frank Castle so much.  :'(