December 19, 2018, 09:52:38 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 164699 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1515 on: November 07, 2018, 03:43:31 PM »
Watching Daredevil season 3. It gives off pretty much the season 1 vibe, with all the gritty and dark atmosphere, just with some more self-pitying on Matt Murdock's part.

I really liked Season 3. It kept the momentum with no slump. Definitely a step above Season 2 (everything after the part with The Punisher dragged) and stellar fight scenes.

Aside: The Castlevania anime on Netflix is TERRIFIC. Written by Warren Ellis, it is action-packed, gory as hell, and often hilarious (snarky Trevor Belmont is the best Trevor Belmont). And I actually felt sorry for Dracula at times, which is saying something!

I will caution the squemish that it is absurdly violent at times, but has stellar voice acting and a great story. If you don't mind exploding heads and people cut in half in your entertainment, I'd heavily recommend!

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1516 on: November 10, 2018, 09:49:05 AM »
I've just finished Daredevil season 3, and what a frustrating experience it had been. Matt Murdock had grown to become one of the most irritating MCs I've ever came cross. He's self-pitying and edgy, trying to be all grim and dark while being a religious nutjob at the same time, all the while maintaining that 'I'm better than anyone' attitude and the boring vanilla hero character. The show is like a giant Wilson Fisk commercial, and I had to fast-forwarded through most of the later half in search of scenes that aren't unnecessary soapy drama. The epilogue was a total, utter disappointment, since Daredevil went and foolishly rescue Fisk and once again let him go, just so that he can remained the boring, archetypical hero character.

It had been a total waste of time through thirteen episodes. I will certainly not be continuing with this series in the future. 

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1517 on: November 11, 2018, 05:59:36 PM »
No matter how many times I watch "Philadelphia", I always cry :'(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Skip

« Reply #1518 on: November 11, 2018, 11:05:23 PM »
I very much enjoyed Daredevil. It's refreshing to see any superhero show have a religious angle that is not contemptuous or stereotyped, and it fits nicely in with a hero who has "devil" in his name.

The character is predicated upon a vow not to kill. That opens a well-trodden path, but it's one the writers take seriously. He is indeed full of self-pity, but other characters have noted this and I look forward to him growing out of it. If you're going to have a character grow, you have to establish the baseline and make it true.

And the fight scenes remain among the best on television.
Visit Altearth

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1519 on: November 12, 2018, 03:33:15 AM »
I'm slightly with @S. K. Inkslinger on this one--  The first 3 eps were really difficult to slog through.  Ep 4&5 were pretty exciting though but as usual, I find myself wanting to slap the characters upside the head.  There was also an interesting article on the issues with diversity in the show, including Karen's white woman moment vs. the brown people.

Between Daredevil, and worse, the other DC shows like Arrow (which I have only watched 1 ep of to be fair), the superhero genre in general just rubs me the wrong way, with idealization of paramilitarism vs this grim view of crime...  I mean take a look at how that all panned out in Colombia...  even when it casts doubt on the police (usually in all the wrong ways) the subtext is pro militarism, pro security state and pretty disturbing.  I still need to check out Luke Cage, i might find that less disturbing.  Tho i did love Season 1 of Jessica Jones...

idk I may need to be on a no more superhero diet for a while.  i never liked them even when I was young, excepting spiderman.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1520 on: November 12, 2018, 10:00:36 AM »
Ok scratch that,  I kept walking and it got really good.

Poindexter reminds me so much of my stalker-- like their brains were identical.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #1521 on: November 12, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »
Outlaw King was pretty good, especially any scene with the Black Douglas. Those battle scenes were fantastic, and really brutal. From what I can tell it also seems to be fairly historically accurate, or as much as a modern film can be.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

« Reply #1522 on: November 12, 2018, 08:41:34 PM »
I enjoyed Outlaw King too and Black Douglas is definitely the stand out character. The first shot is very impressive - I imagine there are clever cuts hidden in somewhere but it seems to go on for a good ten minutes unbroken.

And the final battle is the best I've seen since GoT's Battle of the Bastards.
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

« Reply #1523 on: November 15, 2018, 09:43:25 PM »
Is anyone else watching Norsemen? I feel I may be late to the party on this one but I've just started getting into it. Reminds me a lot of my old job.
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1524 on: November 18, 2018, 12:19:57 PM »
So, uhhhh
Appearantly theres this Chinese movie called "animal world" which like my latest short story features a deathmatch but instead of tic tac toe is rock paper scissors and unlike my story the MC is a guy that's crazy and thinks he's a ninja clown but also irl hes a clown and you can never tell if his flashes are daydreams or something he actually did. Oh, and Michael Douglas plays the villian. How did I ever miss this???

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1525 on: November 21, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »
The character is predicated upon a vow not to kill. That opens a well-trodden path, but it's one the writers take seriously. He is indeed full of self-pity, but other characters have noted this and I look forward to him growing out of it. If you're going to have a character grow, you have to establish the baseline and make it true.

And the fight scenes remain among the best on television.

Agreed! I actually loved that they stayed true to Matt's vow not to kill - that's often one of my pet peeves, when a story insists on keeping its murderous villains alive while also ensuring that any attempts to incarcerate them always end in an escape (my biggest complaint about Batman, which is otherwise great).

I'll be honest - given Kingpin's many crimes, murders, and reach in the FBI, I was definitely in the "just call the Punisher and shoot the bastard" camp until late in DD season 3. Ultimately, Karen's speech about how murder irrecoverably changes the person who commits it (and framing her and Foggy's quest to stop Matt from killing as saving HIM, not Kingpin) eventually won me over. And yes, the fight scenes are so good, though I will admit, in one of Bullseye's scenes I started chuckling. An ink cartridge? A pencil? A STAPLER? (seriously, the fact that he could make ANYTHING into a lethal projectile was both terrifying and comedic).

Sidenote: If you'd like to see ANOTHER series that actually deals with a hero who refuses to kill, check out Tron: Uprising. It's no more for kids than the rest of the Tron films (I loved it as an adult) and I also loved that it's a show where programs get derezzed left and right and yet Beck (the protagonist) sticks to his guns and won't kill. Often, heroes "won't kill" because it's a kid's show (and killing would traumatize kids), but in Uprising, making Beck refuse to kill is a conscious choice explored in the narrative.

Ok scratch that,  I kept walking and it got really good.

Poindexter reminds me so much of my stalker-- like their brains were identical.

Dude, that is f'ing SCARY. I'm so glad you got away from that, but angry/sorry you had to deal with it in the first place.

In my latest, I watched Jacob's Ladder last night for the first time, as despite being a huge Silent Hill fan, I'd never actually seen the inspiration for much of its imagery. Jacob's Ladder was creepy AF and genuinely disturbing at times (which is why I loved it) and I really liked the performances. Overall, thumbs up if you like psychological horror or any of the Silent Hill games.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:41:30 PM by tebakutis »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1526 on: November 30, 2018, 11:34:23 AM »
Daredevil just got axed for some reason.  ???  Despite the fact that I often feeling infuriated watching it, it's still one of the best superhero shows out there, with the best fight choreography I've ever seen on TV (I positively loved all of the fight scenes). It's a real shame.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: November 30, 2018, 01:22:45 PM »
Saw "Maquia: when the promised flower blooms".
It can definitely rival ghibli movies in terms of art and story.
Recommended but don't blame me when you cry!

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1528 on: November 30, 2018, 03:35:28 PM »
Daredevil just got axed for some reason.  ???  Despite the fact that I often feeling infuriated watching it, it's still one of the best superhero shows out there, with the best fight choreography I've ever seen on TV (I positively loved all of the fight scenes). It's a real shame.

My understanding (regarding all the Marvel shows getting cancelled) is that now that Disney plans to launch their own streaming service, they are cleaning house with IPs that are on competitors. Hence since Disney owns Marvel, all the Netflix Marvel shows that weren't already greenlit/filming (like the next season of The Punisher) are getting the axe. Less to do with quality, more to do with Disney wanting to pull its IP from others.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1529 on: December 16, 2018, 10:21:26 PM »

My understanding (regarding all the Marvel shows getting cancelled) is that now that Disney plans to launch their own streaming service, they are cleaning house with IPs that are on competitors. Hence since Disney owns Marvel, all the Netflix Marvel shows that weren't already greenlit/filming (like the next season of The Punisher) are getting the axe. Less to do with quality, more to do with Disney wanting to pull its IP from others.

I have to admit, while I did watch all of these shows, I'm slightly hopeful that this might signal the end of the tyranny of the superhero.