July 17, 2018, 02:49:47 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 136365 times)

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1425 on: June 17, 2018, 09:46:12 PM »
I just had an interesting experience watching The House of the Devil, a horror movie from 2009, set in the 1980's.

It's inspired by the Satanic ritual abuse hysteria of the 80's, and does a great job of recreating the time period in regards to furniture, clothes and the like. It's even shot on 16mm film. I find I'm quite fond of 80's-related films, due to my earliest memories being from the era.

Anyway, I've rarely, if ever, felt as long-term tense while watching a horror film. It REALLY takes its time building up to the Bad Stuff, and the main character overall behaves very realistically. The cinematography does some very interesting tricks to create a sense of foreboding. It's only in the climax that the shit truly hits the fan... and I found that I was considerably more relaxed than throughout most of the movie. Evil just becomes less scary when it has a face, and when you know what it's up to.

But don't take that as a discouragement. I recommend The House of the Devil.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:59:21 PM by Eli_Freysson »
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: June 17, 2018, 11:58:22 PM »
Mrs. JMack and I just got back from “Solo: A Star Wars Story.”
We liked it; had a good time. I had a few moments of... “really?”

But a few highlights/low lights:

Spoiler for Hiden:
> Pace and humor, excellent
> Performances, uniformly strong
> Kira shows up just three years later as the most trusted lieutenant of the bad guy. Really?
> T3 leading the android rebellion was awesome and darn funny. Dying in Lando’s arms... really?
> Han losing the first poker game and winning the second? Awesome
> Everything (almost) with Chewie, awesome. The inflexible monkey mask on the key second Wookiee... not so much
> Darth Maul at the end... awesome
> The overly sappy stuff about the rebellion... meh

One thing is clear to me after several years on F-F: I’m crap reviewer of things I’ve seen or read. I think I could be decent if I had patience for the task.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1427 on: June 18, 2018, 12:36:56 AM »

I liked it too, but it had a few cringeworthy scenes. The cringiest of which, apparently, was that one that sold it to the execs. If only it had gone like this:

Han: I want to sign up for the Imperial army. I'm gonna' be a pilot.

Imperial Officer: What's your name, son?

Han: Han.

Imperial Officer: What's your last name?

Han: ... I don't know.

Imperial Officer: Who are your people?

Han: I don't have any.

Imperial Officer: All right. We'll just list you as Han ... Lonely-NoOne-Loves-You.

Han:Wait, what?

Imperial Officer: And it's locked in. Have a good trip, Lonely-NoOne-Loves-You.

Han: ...

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 18, 2018, 01:10:18 AM »

I liked it too, but it had a few cringeworthy scenes. The cringiest of which, apparently, was that one that sold it to the execs. If only it had gone like this:

Han: I want to sign up for the Imperial army. I'm gonna' be a pilot.

Imperial Officer: What's your name, son?

Han: Han.

Imperial Officer: What's your last name?

Han: ... I don't know.

Imperial Officer: Who are your people?

Han: I don't have any.

Imperial Officer: All right. We'll just list you as Han ... Lonely-NoOne-Loves-You.

Han:Wait, what?

Imperial Officer: And it's locked in. Have a good trip, Lonely-NoOne-Loves-You.

Han: ...

Hah, I didn’t dislike the scene so much, but your version is waaaaay better.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: June 18, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »
Jmack I'd like to add:

Spoiler for Hiden:
- character consistently presented as money hungry and ready to risk it all for his big strike, decides to leave EVERYTHING to a pseudo rebellion he doesn't really agree with (and had no affection for in the original trilogy), even after it cost him so much (and killed the closest to a mentor he had over it), with not other reason that "deep down he's a good guy".
He doesn't even go 50/50!!! He gives everything away and receives 1 single fuel bit out of pity. Wtf. Way to go out of character! Spend the film building the reckless gridiness and then have him be a saint for no strong moral reason.

Anyway. Watching season 2 of Westwold at the moment and it is the salt of the earth.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Bender

« Reply #1430 on: June 20, 2018, 12:21:49 AM »
Gintama

Plan to paralelly watch Attack on Titan S2.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1431 on: June 23, 2018, 01:37:41 AM »
Have any of you watched Future Man? I'm half way through and I can't count the times I nearly shit myself laughing

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: June 27, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »
Watched the finale of Westworld season 2. I was very disappointed with the first half of this season, but then things started to pick up again, and the finale is fantastic (if not completely unpredictable). They also did a good job of setting up a strong base on which the series can continue for future seasons.
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #1433 on: June 28, 2018, 02:50:08 AM »
I have some friends who sometimes recommend me Japanese animes, which I don't watch very often.

Sometime ago I got One Punch Man recommended. It's a "super hero" anime, which was very different from the traditional models I had watched in the past. Initially I eye-rolled a lot but then it got really great and I'm now waiting for season 2.

Also a few days/weeks ago someone recommended My Hero Academia, which is also a "super hero" anime. Since OPM worked so well, I decided to give this one a go. This one was much harder to get into. The first few episodes had me eye-rolling numerous times but eventually things got interesting enough.

Then by the mid-end and in season 2 things really skyrocket in terms of animation, character development, story and etc. Some parts were even eye-watering.

The biggest thing is how the main character says right from the beginning he will become the most powerful hero... but when the story progresses, there's never that feel of Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Bleach, all animes that failed to grasp me due to their main characters being the only ones with power enough to be able to do anything about the villain, usually coupled with massive Deus Exes.

But here he loses a lot of battles (key ones even), in team fights actually have other people being more decisive and important than him, and a lot of others have a massive personal development to the point some of them even become more interesting than the MC (Harry Potter syndrome?).
This added a lot of unpredictability and the author really shied away from common tropes and events in these types of fighting style animes.

The mentor of the MC is a Japanese Captain America (almost the same clothes) who screams the names of American States for his punches. Best one was Carolina Smash. The final punch...I'll let you figure it out the name of it. But that fight was pretty epic.

I only managed to read 2 mangas in my life, but this one is almost making me go read it just to be on par with the main story instead of waiting years for the animation to catch up.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2018

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

« Reply #1434 on: June 28, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »
Has anyone else been watching Missions on the BBC Iplayer? It's a new french sci-fi show about the first voyage to Mars. I finished it last night and really enjoyed it. Action packed, great characters and good twists. The episodes are only 20mins each so it's easy to dip into too.

“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 28, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
Has anyone else been watching Missions on the BBC Iplayer? It's a new french sci-fi show about the first voyage to Mars. I finished it last night and really enjoyed it. Action packed, great characters and good twists. The episodes are only 20mins each so it's easy to dip into too.
I watched that on BBC4, I thought it was great :D
I'm not really sure about the ending, though, it felt a bit rushed and with questions...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Bender

« Reply #1436 on: June 29, 2018, 03:29:06 AM »
For good plot and character development the Best series to watch are:

Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Attack on Titan

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: June 29, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »

The mentor of the MC is a Japanese Captain America (almost the same clothes) who screams the names of American States for his punches. Best one was Carolina Smash. The final punch...I'll let you figure it out the name of it. But that fight was pretty epic.

How can I say no to a challenge like that, Lanko?

Was it:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Montana Mule Kick?
Texan Trounce?
Hawaiian Punch?
Delawarean Dick Kick?
Virginian Vag Jab?
Mississippi Slap?
Alabama Bash?
Having to spend ten full minutes in the Nevada desert.
Tennessee Titty Twister?
Alaskan Bruise?

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

« Reply #1438 on: June 30, 2018, 08:38:04 AM »
I watched that on BBC4, I thought it was great :D
I'm not really sure about the ending, though, it felt a bit rushed and with questions...

Excellent. I loved the mix of sci-fi with space travel history. I'd never heard of Karamov before so that was cool.
I agree on the ending. I'd like to have found out more about their discovery and how it all happened.
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #1439 on: June 30, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »
Have any of you watched Future Man? I'm half way through and I can't count the times I nearly shit myself laughing
Watching it at present. Damn funny show.