June 20, 2018, 10:19:42 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 132558 times)

Online Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1410 on: May 22, 2018, 05:40:54 PM »
Anyone else watching the new season of Westworld? It's not holding my interest very well, and I loved the first season. I can't put my fingers on what exactly is putting me off, so would like to know what other folks around here think.
Been quite enjoying it. May have helped that we watched all the first season before. I like seeing the exploration of the park's other areas, and of course adore Maeve.

I was errr procrastinating on my deadline and caught up on Westworld. I'm with @Elfy on the adoring Maeve part but I side with @Saraband in thinking this season is pretty shit. I chalk it up to bad writing. The characters repeat themselves stating their motivation or the arc at play sometimes 3 times in the same episode paraphrasing themselves over and over. Some of the reveals were disappointing others just felt backwards, they're using Dolores out of order memories device on Bernard and it's not working, the transition from Dolores to Wayatt was always weak and it feels jarring to have new areas of the park out of nowhere when they didn't seem to exist last season and everything is figured so tightly on Westworld, it seems like a cheap way to throw in ninjas and tigers and new characters and presents a few continuity problems. Anyway I wasn't impressed and probably would have stopped watching if I wasn't actively avoiding working

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 22, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »
looking forward to new season of Handmaids Tale that premieres tonight  :D
@Saraband, I saw episode 1 yesterday (it started showing on Channel 4 last sunday), and wow. I was just *so* angry!
It also made me think, what would I do if I was in that situation? :-\ :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #1412 on: May 22, 2018, 10:40:58 PM »
@Saraband, I saw episode 1 yesterday (it started showing on Channel 4 last sunday), and wow. I was just *so* angry!
@ScarletBea did you get the double episode as the opener? We're watching it too, it does make you angry and it does make you think. It's a very confronting story.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #1413 on: May 23, 2018, 12:07:24 AM »
I just got back from Deadpool 2, and it was absolutely fantastic. Only somewhat ruined by a man in the audience with some kind of spastic condition who made constant grunts, snarls and barks.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 23, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
@ScarletBea did you get the double episode as the opener? We're watching it too, it does make you angry and it does make you think. It's a very confronting story.
No, just the normal 1-hour episode.

It ended with
Spoiler for Hiden:
her cutting her hair and saying "I am June".
By the way, why did she cut her ear? I think she had something there, but I don't remember them having a tracker
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Online Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 23, 2018, 08:08:08 AM »

I find it tough to watch because after you're presented with an episode, you're then left with your own thoughts after what you just saw, and the poignancy of the theme makes it all the more uncomfortable.

Just keep in mind that this season gets increasingly difficult to digest, but it's the best thing on TV these days.

Spoiler for Hiden:
She cut her ear because they have a cattle-like GPS tracker, it's shown in one of the flashbacks of season 1  ;)
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Online Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1416 on: May 23, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »

Yeah, I would have died repeatedly already after losing my temper and trying to murder Aunt Lydia with a fork

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 28, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »
Deadwood. Coming after watching The Wire I feel I am getting a very accurate picture of life across the pond. Though moving to the States really messed poor Lovejoy up.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: June 14, 2018, 11:25:07 PM »
Jurassic World was gloriously dumb.  Fantastic range of dinosaurs and national stereotypes.

The Real Powers That Be

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: June 14, 2018, 11:30:08 PM »
Just watched the new “Lara Cory” movie and enjoyed it. Harmless fun. 2.5 stars due to Vikander and Wu.

Wu got me interested “Into the Badlands” so I’m giving that a try. Pretty weak halfway into ep. 1
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:31:53 PM by JMack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1420 on: June 16, 2018, 04:50:23 AM »
I've finally watched Star Wars The Last Jedi after a year, and could see why people had hated it so much. It's a shame what they did to a perfectly good franchise.

I've also been watching the second season of Westworld. In conclusion, everyone keeps going around in circles, there are more secrets and hidden meanings *fake oohs and ahhs*, and the plot doesn't progresses anywhere. I'm also quite disappointed with Shogun World. Iwas expecting there to be a deep, intricate story line and exploration of this world, instead we got some bland 2-episodes cameo which was quickly done over with. Boooo.

Edit: I'm dropping Westworld after episode 8. Would be great if anyone finished the series and spoiled me on how the slog fest ended.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1421 on: June 16, 2018, 08:47:52 AM »
I've finally watched Star Wars The Last Jedi after a year, and could see why people had hated it so much. It's a shame what they did to a perfectly good franchise
>:( >:(
I really liked it ::)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1422 on: June 16, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
I've finally watched Star Wars The Last Jedi after a year, and could see why people had hated it so much. It's a shame what they did to a perfectly good franchise

Oops hehe, now that was awkward. Opinions do differ, I guess. Still, despite all that I do like the part about Luke being an imperfect character with flaws and imperfections, though.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1423 on: June 16, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »
No worries, it was just funny to see you mention "people hating it" as if it was general, so I decided to clarify my position hehe :)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1424 on: June 16, 2018, 07:19:40 PM »

Oops hehe, now that was awkward. Opinions do differ, I guess. Still, despite all that I do like the part about Luke being an imperfect character with flaws and imperfections, though.

Both of these opinions are 100% okay! Personally, I didn't like TLJ, and I totally support people who did. It's entertainment! Not everything is for everyone.

So long as no one is screaming the other person's opinion is wrong, we're all okay here. :P