August 15, 2018, 05:26:14 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 141428 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1350 on: March 06, 2018, 01:36:07 PM »
Anyone watching this? https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/11/mackenzie-crook-druids-britannia-jez-butterworths-mad-masterpiece-tv-series

Wonderfully bonkers. It's a really interesting take on the myth and mythology of those times, probably the most interesting aspect of it.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 06, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
Anyone watching this? https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/11/mackenzie-crook-druids-britannia-jez-butterworths-mad-masterpiece-tv-series

Wonderfully bonkers. It's a really interesting take on the myth and mythology of those times, probably the most interesting aspect of it.
I wanted, but I no longer have Sky, so can't get this channel (exclusive to them)...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1352 on: March 08, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »

I wanted, but I no longer have Sky, so can't get this channel (exclusive to them)...

You can also get it on Amazon over here at least.
https://www.amazon.com/Season-1-Official-Trailer/dp/B078YDT19K

I'm only about half way through, but so far I'm enjoying it more than GoT!!! They pack so much in each episode it feels like it's a 4 hour film instead of 45 min.  The only thing I don't like is the opening credits song just sort of throws me for a loop it's like from 1968 so it's very anachronistic, not our time not theirs...

There's no buzz on it over here, I don't even remember how I came a cross it at all...

Online Rostum

« Reply #1353 on: March 08, 2018, 04:46:21 PM »
Watched mute on Netflix supposedly a new film. A Near (dystopian) future love story. I got really strong deja vu from this I am sure I have seen it before or something very similar (possibly in German)
Worth a look anyway.

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #1354 on: March 20, 2018, 01:11:09 AM »
Anyone else watching the latest series of X Files?

It had a rocky start and the main conspiracy is now hopelessly convoluted, but the last few episodes have been great. I know for a fact that I'll be having Mr Chuckleteeth nightmares for weeks.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 20, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »
Anyone else watching the latest series of X Files?

It had a rocky start and the main conspiracy is now hopelessly convoluted, but the last few episodes have been great. I know for a fact that I'll be having Mr Chuckleteeth nightmares for weeks.
Me!
I've just caught up with the recorded episodes (not yet last night's - I assume your comment is for that one? - then thanks for letting me know I should watch it during the day hehe), but last week's one, with the devices working against them, was really funny (and scary ;))

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #1356 on: March 20, 2018, 01:24:08 PM »
I finally gave up on The X-File's mythology when the second movie came out and didn't address it at all. Otherwise, still love the show, or at least Duchovny's and Anderson's chemistry together.

I'm watching the final season of Bates Motel on Netflix.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 22, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »
I know for a fact that I'll be having Mr Chuckleteeth nightmares for weeks.
@Alex Hormann, I've just watched it, aaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhh
I'm so glad I watched it with the lights on :'(

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 25, 2018, 11:58:51 PM »
Mrs. JMack and I just finished season 2 of “Stranger Things”. Watched both seasons in two weeks time. Season 1: 5/5. Season 2:4/5 (meh, finale episode). And wow, season 1, what a fantastic hoot of a show.

Do not see how they can sustain for season 3 without taking some risks with well-loved characters.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1359 on: March 27, 2018, 03:39:42 AM »
Mrs. JMack and I just finished season 2 of “Stranger Things”. Watched both seasons in two weeks time. Season 1: 5/5. Season 2:4/5 (meh, finale episode). And wow, season 1, what a fantastic hoot of a show.

Do not see how they can sustain for season 3 without taking some risks with well-loved characters.

My wife and I loved both seasons of Stranger Things! Lots of reqs in this thread I want to check out when I have more time.

Right now I'm watching (when I can) Jessica Jones season 2 and really digging it. I was a huge fan of the first season (I know opinions vary) and it seems like the varied feelings have carried forward, but for me, I'm loving the slow burn and focus on characters.

Offline Skip

« Reply #1360 on: March 27, 2018, 05:55:15 AM »
Jessica Jones, of course.
The Tick.
Ash vs the Evil Dead
Gotham
Peaky Blinders

Some of these I've already burned through. And there still remains Daredevil, Luke Cage, Better Call Saul, Westworld, and a fistful of others. Truly a golden age of television. I'd be willing to say TV has surpassed movies in pure quality.
Visit Altearth

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #1361 on: March 27, 2018, 08:41:33 AM »
Jessica Jones, of course.
The Tick.
Ash vs the Evil Dead
Gotham
Peaky Blinders

Some of these I've already burned through. And there still remains Daredevil, Luke Cage, Better Call Saul, Westworld, and a fistful of others. Truly a golden age of television. I'd be willing to say TV has surpassed movies in pure quality.

I loved The Tick! And Ash vs the Evil Dead is totally my jam, the perfect mix of cheesy B-movie action and Bruce Campbell doing Bruce Campbell things.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 04, 2018, 09:21:21 PM »
Saw Ready Player One last night.  Told the story in a very different way to the book, but kept the themes, and broad strokes of the story in tact, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Can see some people being annoyed with how different it is to the book, but to have told the story in the same way you would have needed a eight tv series I think, and a lot of the puzzles from the book wouldn't have translated well to the big screen.  I am happy with the film and the book telling similar stories in a very different manner.

The Real Powers That Be

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 06, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
I've just watched episode one of "The city & the city", based on a book by China Mieville.
It was quite intriguing and very well filmed, for what I imagine is a very weird and complicated book world.
Has anyone read the book?

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 06, 2018, 10:19:14 PM »
I've just watched episode one of "The city & the city", based on a book by China Mieville.
It was quite intriguing and very well filmed, for what I imagine is a very weird and complicated book world.
Has anyone read the book?

Searching is your friend or is it mine?

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=3260.msg35979#msg35979

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=9033.msg136019#msg136019

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=183.msg65617#msg65617

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=632.msg8635#msg863
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:21:01 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate