October 27, 2020, 11:56:28 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 368404 times)

Offline Phil Norris

Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #285 on: December 28, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »
Vikings S1 (half-way thru, I'm a bit jumbled on the historical facts, something's a bit skewiff with times/dates, it's not stopping me from enjoying it though!)

I wouldnt worry too much about any historical accuracy, the series is very loosely based on the sagas of Ragnar Lothbrok, a semi-mythical hero who was said to have been the scourge of Northern Europe and England. Its unsure if he actually existed (or if he was an amalgamation of several warlords) though his sons are real historical figures - Ivar the Boneless, Ubba, Sigurd Snake-In-The-Eye, Bjorn Ironside and Halfdan Ragnarsson (anyone who reads Bernard Cornwell's Saxon books will recognise some of those names) - so it is possible he was a real person.

Interestingly Ragnar's brother in the series - Rollo - is based on Robert I who was the founder and first king of the Norse colony that would become Normandy, he was also the great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conqueror.

To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #286 on: December 28, 2014, 11:04:25 PM »
Vikings S1 (half-way thru, I'm a bit jumbled on the historical facts, something's a bit skewiff with times/dates, it's not stopping me from enjoying it though!)

I wouldnt worry too much about any historical accuracy, the series is very loosely based on the sagas of Ragnar Lothbrok, a semi-mythical hero who was said to have been the scourge of Northern Europe and England. Its unsure if he actually existed (or if he was an amalgamation of several warlords) though his sons are real historical figures - Ivar the Boneless, Ubba, Sigurd Snake-In-The-Eye, Bjorn Ironside and Halfdan Ragnarsson (anyone who reads Bernard Cornwell's Saxon books will recognise some of those names) - so it is possible he was a real person.

Interestingly Ragnar's brother in the series - Rollo - is based on Robert I who was the founder and first king of the Norse colony that would become Normandy, he was also the great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conqueror.
There's also an English king in the first season, I think he rules Mercia, and while the name is real and he did probably rule that particular kingdom the dates of his rule and other incidents in the show, like the sacking of Lindisfarne, don't match up. Still highly entertaining as a show, though.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #287 on: December 29, 2014, 12:26:21 AM »
Just came back from seeing into the Woods, which was chosen by the family over seeing the third Hobbit movie.  Now, I'm a huge broadway musical and Stephen Sondheim fan, and I loved fractured fairy tales, so call me biased.  But it was wonderful.  Run out and see it. :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #288 on: December 29, 2014, 10:48:58 AM »
Just came back from seeing into the Woods, which was chosen by the family over seeing the third Hobbit movie.  Now, I'm a huge broadway musical and Stephen Sondheim fan, and I loved fractured fairy tales, so call me biased.  But it was wonderful.  Run out and see it. :)

That's what I've pciked for my birthday movie, I love fairy tales, and while I've never seen the musical, the cast of the movie looks amazing.  It starts here the day after my birthday, so we'll see it on the weekend.

We saw The Hobbit this afternoon, which we thoroughly enjoyed.  I'm not a big Tolkien fan, so the changes that have been made in the book-to-film adaptation don't bother me nearly as much as it does other people.  One thing I do think they missed a trick on was
Spoiler for Hiden:
no resolution for Tauriel's character.  I was fully expecting her to die in the battle, it makes more sense as she's a film-only character, and there's no mention of her at all in LoTR, so what happens tp her in the intervening years
And a random question I had while watching - do Tolkien dwarves have pointed ears like the elves do (or maybe not as pointed, but you know what I mean!)?  It's a bit hard to tell under all their bushy hair.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #289 on: December 29, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »

There's also an English king in the first season, I think he rules Mercia, and while the name is real and he did probably rule that particular kingdom the dates of his rule and other incidents in the show, like the sacking of Lindisfarne, don't match up. Still highly entertaining as a show, though.

King Aella (or Aelle) was King of Northumbria (which Lindisfarne was part of), historically the timing and length of his reign is unsure but is thought to be from around 862/3 to 867. The raid on Lindisfarne depicted in the series happened in 793 so the dates are a little out. Aella of Northumbria is a prominent figure in the sagas of Ragnar Lothbrok and his sons in fact....

SPIOLERING THE REST

Spoiler for Hiden:
According to the sagas it was King Aella who killed Ragnar by throwing him into a pit of snakes (this form of execution was shown in one episode in S1) the result of this led Ragnar's sons to wage war against Aella and Mercia, Wessex and the rest of Briton. Not sure if the writers will follow this same storyline for future seasons as already in S2 they have killed off a major historical  Norse figure who in history outlived Ragnar.

Sorry to hog the thread on this but Vikings are my thing.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Yora

« Reply #290 on: December 29, 2014, 07:47:54 PM »
And a random question I had while watching - do Tolkien dwarves have pointed ears like the elves do (or maybe not as pointed, but you know what I mean!)?  It's a bit hard to tell under all their bushy hair.
I am pretty sure it doesn't say.

Actually, it doesn't even say that the elves have them, but there's a quote from Tolkien circulating that he forgot to mention it, because  he assumed it was obvious, like everyone else.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #291 on: December 29, 2014, 08:13:58 PM »
I've just watched How to train your dragon :D
I *know* it's a movie for children, but I just loved it sooo much :-[
It is awesome. You should see if you can find Dragons: Riders of Berk, which is a cartoon series based on the movie. It's lightweight, but quite fun. The second season was called Dragons: Defenders of Berk. I'm not sure what the events in the second movie will mean for the TV show if they make another one.

Wahey, CBBC is showing Defenders of Berk right now, daily episodes ;D saw one today already!
(the first one is being shown on a channel not on my pack - I don't get the extra children's channels...)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #292 on: December 29, 2014, 10:49:46 PM »
As Lejays17 said we saw the 3rd Hobbit film yesterday. I personal thought it was the best of the 3. It's very much not the book version, but it seemed to flow and work better than the others.

Offline Yora

« Reply #293 on: December 30, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »
Yeah, I also don't see what all the complaining is. The pacing and storytelling is really quite bad, but other than that I didn't really have much to complain about.
Unlike the second and especially the first one, which I absolute hate. This one is an okay average fantasy movie that doesn't offend me.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline RussetDivinity

« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »
Like a previous poster, I recently watched How to Train Your Dragon 2, and I enjoyed it, though I did share one of the posted concerns. Otherwise, though, I really liked the movie. I've also been watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Flash, and I've found both of them quite enjoyable. At this exact moment, I'm watching a Twilight Zone marathon for New Year's Day.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #295 on: January 02, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »
And following the 'amazing children's movies that aren't just for children', and classifying it in the Alternate History genre, yesterday I watched Pirates, an adventure with scientists.
It is *so* good ;D ;D

(it was my second watching, and I noticed a bunch of stuff I'd missed the first time hehe)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2015, 11:51:17 AM »
And following the 'amazing children's movies that aren't just for children', and classifying it in the Alternate History genre, yesterday I watched Pirates, an adventure with scientists.
It is *so* good ;D ;D

(it was my second watching, and I noticed a bunch of stuff I'd missed the first time hehe)

Pirates!  Yes, wonderful movie.  Released here as "Band of Misfits" not "Adventure with Scientists". Do need to see it again.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2015, 11:02:53 PM »
Pixar have done it again! Big Hero 6 is well worth the watch for anyone who likes a good super hero story. Ticks all the boxes, and managed to keep an active, imaginative 6 year old entertained and glued to her seat for 2 hours. It gave the adults plenty of chuckles and a few things to think about too.

Offline portmeiriona

« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2015, 03:15:34 AM »
I'm super-far behind on this, but I started watching Avatar: The Last Airbender from the very beginning. I was already an adult when the show first started, but I never watched an episode in full, and I ended up dismissing it (I was in my early 20s). But I did watch The Legend of Korra when it first started, and now it ended. :( I craved more of that universe, so I started Avatar. It's really interesting as a prequel to Korra and entertaining in its own right as well.

Offline Jaedia

« Reply #299 on: January 18, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
As Lejays17 said we saw the 3rd Hobbit film yesterday. I personal thought it was the best of the 3. It's very much not the book version, but it seemed to flow and work better than the others.
Oh that's good to hear, I really enjoyed the first one but got halfway through the second and had to turn it off in sheer boredom.. Was very disappointed as I adore the Lord of the Rings movies.