April 12, 2021, 08:39:11 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 427016 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Purple Dove House
Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1950 on: February 22, 2021, 07:25:50 AM »
I enjoyed Lie To Me. Tim Roth was so much fun to watch. I was a bit sad that they wrote the young lady's young man out in the second season though. Also the older couple's UST got a little heavy-handed in the later seasons.
I liked Lie to Me and like @cupiscent it was mostly due to Tim Roth. He was very similar in Tin Star.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #1951 on: March 07, 2021, 06:01:53 PM »
The Good Doctor - A medical drama with protagonist who is autistic but also a savant. Interesting enough plot which also showcases life of autistic people and challenges they face.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1952 on: March 07, 2021, 06:34:39 PM »
^ I really like that one, and it seems season 4 starts in 2 weeks here.
Along the same lines ('good' medical drama) is New Amsterdam, I'm currently watching season 2.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1953 on: March 14, 2021, 05:18:32 AM »
Season 5 of the expanse
<3

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1954 on: April 01, 2021, 06:50:53 PM »
I may have accidentally binge watched DOTA instead of sleeping last night...

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1955 on: April 05, 2021, 06:41:01 AM »
I tried to watch The Irregulars, but I got stuck on the part where it made no damn sense.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #1956 on: April 05, 2021, 09:00:51 AM »
I tried to watch The Irregulars, but I got stuck on the part where it made no damn sense.

I was kinda interested in that too until I saw its rating on IMDB. Not even something as terrible as the worst CW shows got ratings that low, hahah, and those are totally bad. ;D

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Mistborn
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #1957 on: April 05, 2021, 11:45:30 AM »
With the Irregulars, I feel like someone had a script for a show that was set in modern times, then last minute they transplanted it into Victorian London and tacked on the Sherlock mythos because Sherlock sells. It didn't work out. I like some of the characters/actors, but I'll have a hard time stomaching everything else about the show to see them, so after two episodes I'm guessing it will fade away.

Offline Bender

• Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #1958 on: April 05, 2021, 03:49:14 PM »
Falcon and Winter Soldier
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1959 on: April 05, 2021, 10:57:09 PM »
With the Irregulars, I feel like someone had a script for a show that was set in modern times, then last minute they transplanted it into Victorian London and tacked on the Sherlock mythos because Sherlock sells. It didn't work out. I like some of the characters/actors, but I'll have a hard time stomaching everything else about the show to see them, so after two episodes I'm guessing it will fade away.

I didn't even mind that part of it.

They didn't seem to have hired anyone to work in continuity. It becomes nighttime and daytime at the directors whim. The logistics of each scene and the plotting are utterly nonsensical. "I'm going to go take a nap-- oh wait in gonna come back and get to exactly where you went to without knowing where you went 5 seconds later. And you will all be busy holding the GLASS doors shut to hold out birds bc it takes 5 people and clearly birds can open doors even though theyve been smashing through windows all episode" or "I'm not going to pay you so clearly you'll be motivated to keep working for me" that's just a few.

Like i don't see how the director could have not noticed he was making no sense with plot holes the size of the grand canyon

I feel like Netflix shows are pretty consistently bad in some very specific ways.
I really enjoyed DOTA tho.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Mistborn
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #1960 on: April 06, 2021, 08:49:12 AM »
For some reason, I ended up watching episode 3 as well (or, part of it) and it had the same issues. I just kept going "BUT WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?" and pointing at the elephant in the room. But the anachronisms bother me too. Not the least the complete erasure of racism, sexism, and classism in Victorian England (except for the deeply cringe-worthy mention of someone being "racist against posh people"). To me that seems dishonest, like it's being swept under the rug. Better then to use an obviously fictional setting inspired by that time and place, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm terrible at quitting bad series once I've started them (case in point: I watched four seasons of Arrow), so wish me luck.  ::)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

• Master Namer
    • Goodreads Author Profile
« Reply #1961 on: April 06, 2021, 08:51:04 AM »
For some reason, I ended up watching episode 3 as well (or, part of it) and it had the same issues. I just kept going "BUT WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?" and pointing at the elephant in the room. But the anachronisms bother me too. Not the least the complete erasure of racism, sexism, and classism in Victorian England (except for the deeply cringe-worthy mention of someone being "racist against posh people"). To me that seems dishonest, like it's being swept under the rug. Better then to use an obviously fictional setting inspired by that time and place, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm terrible at quitting bad series once I've started them (case in point: I watched four seasons of Arrow), so wish me luck.  ::)

Oh wow that's two seasons more on Arrow for me, hahah. I do remember you said that you also watched the whole 7 seasons of Sons of Anarchy as well.  ;D

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1962 on: April 06, 2021, 09:18:38 PM »

Haha @Magnus Hedén and Inkers
I'm totally guilty of hate watching tv just b/c it has a smidgen of fantasy in it.  I watched way too much of Titans, I'm embarrassed to say, b/c I had nostalgia for the Teen Titans cartoon (which this was the grimdark toxic masculinity version of, like all DC live action seems to be going for these days).  Good god it was bad. And I'm so embarrassed that I even watched it.

As for the anachronisms and the erasure of racism and classism.... I feel like we've had discussions on here about this very thing in the past, usually in the context of filmic adaptations of books (cue @cupiscent !)

It's actually something that really frustrates me about the progressivism of the current moment. On one hand there's the idea of color-blind casting, which I think is important as a labor issue because all my POC friends have struggled for a long time with only getting super-stereotyped side roles to complement white protagonists. But the way this is most commonly talked about is in terms of "representation" meaning the audience effect of seeing people of color in leading roles.

The thing that frustrates me is that the erasure of racism then becomes a celebrated thing by middle and upper class millenial liberals.  Its kind of like "seeing racism makes me uncomfortable, not seeing it is progressive" From the POV of executives, its also a way to draw growing POC demographics into shows.  It really smacks of rich white people wanting not to feel bad about racism, and rich people of color wanting to see people of color represented in positions of power without ever addressing the intersections of colonialism and classism built into the history of race relations, and problematizing the inherent evils at the root of unequal class-based power relations, no matter who holds it.* There's something gained, sure, but it just strikes me as very wrong. Like I don't mind it as the occasional experiment, but when it's heralded as "the way" to do progressive media the erasure suddenly becomes very menacing, disturbing, and there's a wrongness to it that really upsets me.

I think we really don't deal well with race and class at all, and the progressive answers are often just finding new ways to become part of the problem without ever addressing its true roots.

*Side note: I feel like "inclusion" is also a move to de-fang social movements pushing for equality. Unfortunately Marx was wrong and people identify by their race (hence you get poor white males voting against their interests for rich republicans) so the connection between race and class is really important for social movements pushing for class equality today. If as a result of "inclusion" you see yourself as an icons of wealth and privilege, then it defangs social movements working for economic justice.  So when people talk about "inclusion" i'm like "inclusion in what?"  It's all got a serious dark side to it. I jsut look at my trailer park relatives just eating up all the ideology they're spoon fed by rich white people and I mourn a little bit for the future. Is that whats going to happen to people of color too?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:11:54 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1963 on: April 07, 2021, 01:33:23 AM »
Falcon and Winter Soldier

Same. Quite enjoying it. Really looking forward to Loki though.
T. Eric Bakutis, author of The Insurgency Saga

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • an nonsense
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #1964 on: April 07, 2021, 03:44:49 AM »
As for the anachronisms and the erasure of racism and classism.... I feel like we've had discussions on here about this very thing in the past, usually in the context of filmic adaptations of books (cue @cupiscent !)

Boy howdy yes, do I have some thoughts in this area! :D

I've been thinking a lot about "colourblind" casting in recent historical television, particularly when I was watching The Great, which took this approach. It seems to me that it goes:
Pros: 1. Work for talented actors of colour! 2. Kids/people get to see that everyone can be interesting characters, not just white folks!
Cons: 1. The work then cannot engage with matters of race in that historical period. 2. Actors and writers of colour often get paid less and treated worse than white folks.

I think J touched on the cons already, and very eloquently. Too much of this sort of thing runs the risk of people thinking that, to use my The Great example, Catherine the Great's Russia didn't have any racism, after all, there were Indian and Black nobles! We don't have to do anything about racism other than include people of colour in our stuff! And obviously neither of those things is actually true.

However, at present, I look at things like The Great and Bridgerton and go, ok, so diverse casting means they can't engage with race. Were those stories ever going to engage with race anyway? (Considering one of the major criticisms of Georgian/Regency romance as a whole subgenre is that it's hideously blind about the slavery and racism propping up the fancy rich nobility--no!) Obviously, if you're making a movie like Belle--explicitly about race in that historical period--you don't go with colourblind casting. But if you're just making a "fun quasi-historical romp" of a show, then inviting everyone to join in the fun seems only polite. And can actually prompt conversations about how history was neither that fun nor that inclusive for a lot of people.

Plus, getting more actors and writers of colour involved in big productions can boost their careers and mean we can hopefully start getting more stories--historical and contemporary--that are stories of and about characters of colour. (For instance, and I don't actually know the answer on this, do we get Atlanta partly because Donald Glover was in Community?)

Completely unrelated, but what is DOTA? You clearly don't mean the computer game... or do you? :o