September 20, 2019, 02:45:40 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 239700 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1530 on: December 16, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
Doublepost:

So is anyone else watching Nightflyers?  They are guilty of some lazy writing (the flashforward in the opening, the MCs all joining up as a team without earning it, forced dialogue that serves as a recap to fill time jumps etc), but I still loved what they did with the psychics and that sort of twist on things and I certainly found the show suspenseful.

Sooooo... speaking of Nightflyers.... I bought a phone on promotion like over a year ago and I had a 100$ credit just sitting there, google daydream was on sale for 50$ so I used half of my credit to get one even tho putting a phone by my face scares me (because brain cancer), but DAMN ITS COOL!!!!   AND Syfy released a VR companion piece to Nightflyers and ITS SO COOL. 

@tebakutis  I just kept thinking this was right up your alley. Do you have a Daydream? You can probably see it on a Vive too, I imagine.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1531 on: December 17, 2018, 07:15:33 PM »
Doublepost:

So is anyone else watching Nightflyers?  They are guilty of some lazy writing (the flashforward in the opening, the MCs all joining up as a team without earning it, forced dialogue that serves as a recap to fill time jumps etc), but I still loved what they did with the psychics and that sort of twist on things and I certainly found the show suspenseful.

Sooooo... speaking of Nightflyers.... I bought a phone on promotion like over a year ago and I had a 100$ credit just sitting there, google daydream was on sale for 50$ so I used half of my credit to get one even tho putting a phone by my face scares me (because brain cancer), but DAMN ITS COOL!!!!   AND Syfy released a VR companion piece to Nightflyers and ITS SO COOL. 

@tebakutis  I just kept thinking this was right up your alley. Do you have a Daydream? You can probably see it on a Vive too, I imagine.

I do not have a Daydream, since a Vive is vastly better. But at the moment, any and all VR time I have is utterly consumed by Skyrim. :)

But if I get the chance, I'll check it out!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1532 on: December 18, 2018, 04:39:56 AM »
Ok the Nightflyer VR stuff is super cool,

But I just finished the TV series and I have to say.... the first 5 episodes were great... and then it really went downhill.  The last two episodes were particularly disappointing and it really doesn't deliver in the end.  Plus character inconsistencies (doing stuff that just doesn't make sense for their character) are probably my hugest pet peeve and there were plenty of those. Those last two episodes were facepalm frustrating.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1533 on: December 21, 2018, 01:29:08 PM »
Finally finished watching the last seasons of House MD., after all this time. Gotta say this is one of my favorite long-standing tv shows of all time, and it had a amazing ending that made the entire journey worth it. I was genuinely touched and satisfied by the concluding episode, "Everybody Dies".  :D

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1534 on: December 28, 2018, 07:23:56 AM »
I loved House-- he was such a loveable a-hole.

I made the mistake of watching Birdbox while folding laundry the other day.  It was *awful*  I mean I was wincing in pain from how awful it was and wondering why tf any actor would agree to be in a movie so bad. Then I got on the internet and saw that everyone else seems to like it.  wtf.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1535 on: December 28, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
I made the mistake of watching Birdbox while folding laundry the other day.  It was *awful*  I mean I was wincing in pain from how awful it was and wondering why tf any actor would agree to be in a movie so bad. Then I got on the internet and saw that everyone else seems to like it.  wtf.
I haven't watched that one, but the other night I watched "San Andreas" and felt the same - I mean, I quite like a disaster movie, but it has to have a minimum of credibility. That one just kept having "what? :o" moments ::)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #1536 on: December 28, 2018, 10:48:19 AM »
I haven't watched that one, but the other night I watched "San Andreas" and felt the same - I mean, I quite like a disaster movie, but it has to have a minimum of credibility. That one just kept having "what? :o" moments ::)
I actually didn't mind San Andreas (I expect most films starring The Rock to be like that) Geostorm on the other hand...the only disaster about that film was that it was made in the first place.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1537 on: December 29, 2018, 08:15:28 AM »

Soooooo... several weeks after getting my Daydream, my friend noticed that the protective film was still on the inside of the goggles.  Damn it looks even better!!!!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1538 on: December 29, 2018, 09:12:21 AM »

Soooooo... several weeks after getting my Daydream, my friend noticed that the protective film was still on the inside of the goggles.  Damn it looks even better!!!!
;D ;D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 30, 2018, 07:31:00 PM »
I've just watched Zootropolis, what a great movie ;D

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1540 on: December 30, 2018, 08:20:57 PM »
I've just watched Zootropolis, what a great movie ;D

Sloths.
Best. Animated. Scene. Ever
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1541 on: January 03, 2019, 07:00:00 AM »
Finished The Punisher. A solid soldier revenge story with bloody glorious fight scenes. As I've gotten interested in knife fighting and firearms lately it made me enjoy the series more as well.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #1542 on: January 04, 2019, 03:29:18 PM »
Watched The Favourite at the beginning of the year. It is only a historical movie in its setting, but rapidly dispenses with keeping up to historical accuracy (although the events/characters portrayed are true to many historical facts), giving way to a very contemporary power play between three women. The film is as tragic as it is hilarious, and Olivia Colman does one of the finest performances on screen that I've seen in years.

Also, there's a lot of appropriately used swearing, which I enjoy a lot.
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1543 on: January 04, 2019, 09:52:55 PM »
I'm watching season 4 of Vikings and just finished the episode where
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ragnar dies.
What amazing 2 episodes, such perfect writing and acting, such an emotional punch...

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #1544 on: January 04, 2019, 10:52:04 PM »
I've really been wanting to watch the Favorite too! I heard great things about it.

I've been getting (slowly) caught up on Mr. Robot, an episode here and there.  It's soooooo goood. I'm on Season 2 atm.