June 20, 2018, 03:56:30 PM

Author Topic: What are you currently watching?  (Read 132579 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: What are you currently watching?
« Reply #1305 on: December 17, 2017, 02:23:20 AM »
So if you are a fan of action movies, you're doing yourself a service by not watching John Wick and then soon after John Wick 2.

Did you mean a disservice, @tebakutis ??

Hahah! Yup, that's what I mean to say.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1306 on: December 18, 2017, 09:13:48 AM »
I actually watched John Wick 2, then only went back to find and watch the first movie. Both of them are absolutely awesome.  8)

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 22, 2017, 06:08:04 PM »
No separate Star Wars thread??

I watched it today and it was great!! I loved the youth vs. age, with age still being great, I loved seeing so many women pilots, and I loved Rose ;D

(I just thought I would actually *see* Gwendoline... :'( )
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #1308 on: December 22, 2017, 06:33:20 PM »
No separate Star Wars thread??

I watched it today and it was great!! I loved the youth vs. age, with age still being great, I loved seeing so many women pilots, and I loved Rose ;D

(I just thought I would actually *see* Gwendoline... :'( )

I saw it! My personal opinions are mixed. I did enjoy the movie, but am also very cognizant of its flaws. I think your suggestion of a thread to discuss it is a great idea, so I'll go make one now and post the rest of my feedback over there (with the spoiler-y stuff in spoiler tags, of course!)

I'd recommend all SW fans see if for themselves and make their own judgment about how they feel.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #1309 on: December 23, 2017, 05:04:32 AM »
Watched Bright on netflix it was ok but thin on anything like background world building plot and story.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #1310 on: December 23, 2017, 08:33:44 AM »
Does anyone besides me remember Parker Lewis Can't Lose? It was a sitcom about the titular high school teenager; a suave, hypercompetent trickster. It ran from 1990 to 1993. I rewatched the first few episodes yesterday, and I'm wondering what took me so long. I loved that show as a kid! Comedy generally doesn't age well, but the surrealism of PLCL still works, as does the colourful supporting cast:

Kubiak: Six-foot-seven, million pound school terror who supposedly once killed a nun for messing with his lunch.

Miss Musso: The hate-filled principal. As Parker puts it "More than a principal: A psychopath with tenure".

Lemmer: Musso's sleazy right-hand man. As Parker puts it "They're running a picture of his spine on milk cartons".

Shelly: Parker's bratty little sister, who is actively out to destroy his life in any way possible. Lets out a very memorable scream when things go wrong.

Aaand I could go on. It feels weirdly good to revisit these weirdoes after more than twenty years.  :)

I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #1311 on: December 23, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »
I think you just described Ferris Buellers Day Off.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #1312 on: December 23, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
I think you just described Ferris Buellers Day Off.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091042/

I've never watched that movie, but PLCL is stated to be heavily based on it.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #1313 on: December 24, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
No surprise. The movie is going to look dated now but worth watching. It is always nice to rediscover something that is still good after you are grown.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1314 on: December 29, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »
Ferris is great!!!!

I re-watched Conan the Barbarian the other night.
It's kind of like the 80s equivalent of 300-- kinda like gargling testosterone.  It was sort of disturbing now that I'm old enough to notice things. I remembered the orgy of course, but I don't think I noticed that there were human body parts in the green soup that they were eating ostensibly supplied by that human meat locker cave they snuck through to get there. Crazy.

Tons of unnecessary scenes:
*Why did they take him to "the East" to learn philosophy and breed in a cage while a bunch of creepy dudes watched him get on some girl that was basically terrified. WTF was that scene and who thought it would be a good idea to keep it in the movie????
* The witch scene.  Why was it even in the movie?  Why did she crawl on the ground like that? And the flash powder in the fire... why?  And getting thrown into the fire after sex... why??  Just why???
* I don't think the gladiator costumes were entirely functional. It's interesting that today only women where skimpy nonfunctional steel underwear, but back in the 80s men did too. Maybe we got conservative...
* I don't think smearing black triangles on your body will make you harder to see... anywhere... but especially in a white marble hall.
* He flirts with some dude to steal his cultist robes

Anyway gender and sex in that movie was giving me some whiplash. It was ridiculous af but it was till fun to watch again after all these years.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #1315 on: January 01, 2018, 10:35:40 AM »
I've finished the second season of Stranger Things and it's absolutely terrific! Truly a worthy follow up of season 1, with new characters and a fresh look for Eleven. Steve is totally my vote for the best babysitter ever, ficiton or otherwise.  8)

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #1316 on: January 01, 2018, 05:57:34 PM »
I just finished re-watching The Bunker (2001) for the first time in about fifteen years.

It's a horror movie, set towards the end of World War 2. Seven Wehrmacht soldiers seek shelter in an anti-tank bunker deep in the woods, manned by only an old man and a teenager. They believe they are surrounded by American troops, and are cut off from any reinforcements.

As they settle in for the night the old man tells a very memorable story about the site's nasty history...

https://youtu.be/Jrld_8RZnx0?t=2m45s

... which may be the reason why the tunnels underneath it were never completed. And yet something seems to be there...

The cast is all British, and I have to admit that hearing Wehrmacht soldiers speak with British accents is somewhat distracting, but while not a masterpiece the film builds and maintains tension quite well. It may seem like I'm describing a monster flick, but this movie knows how to be subtle, and one is never quite sure whether something truly supernatural is taking place, or if paranoia and guilt are messing with their minds.

I recommend giving it a look.

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1317 on: January 07, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »
I just watched the movie "2012" (it was shown here over Christmas and I recorded it) - it was an ok action movie, but even a non-sciency person like me found so many far-fetched and physically impossible things :o :o
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1318 on: January 08, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »

The other day I watched the documentary "Gasland" while i was folding laundry at home. it was really really good.  I highly recommend it.

Today I watched "Jumanji" It was AWESOME.  I was practically rolling out of my chair laughing.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: January 08, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »
Was wondering about Jumanji because original was so awful, despite having Robin Williams in it. My family went yesterday and agree with Bradley, that it was MOST EXCELLENT, so definitely on TBWatched list ????
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990