December 08, 2019, 10:10:53 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 149513 times)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #825 on: October 09, 2019, 07:34:51 AM »
I'm trying Dauntless. It's a bit a monster hunter-like mmo that got released recently. No idea if it is any good yet since I just started. :p

As for my skyrim playthrough, I'm grinding through the thieves guild quests rn. I want to finish these and the assassin guild before moving on to the expansions.

I do the thieves guild almost every time I play! What expansions are you doing? Are you on PC? Have you installed any quest mods? I've done Moonpaths to Elsweyr, various pieces of the snow elf stuff in Qaxe's Questorium, Bruma, Clockwork City, Grey Cowl of Nocturnal, and a few others.
Going vanilla right now for blank experience. Excepting two mods from their cash shop that were being given away. (materials and nyx hound).
I have all the xpacs but so far I'm only doing mainland. After thieves guild and dark brotherhood I will do dawnguard and dragonborn.
Will definitely do moonpaths in my next playthrough but still looking for mods otherwise. Feel free to recommend your favourites :p

Bruma was meh.  I think the crime settings glitched because everyone in the province tries to murder me everytime I go there and they're constantly sending bounty hunters and I don't even remember what I did. It's not letting me do the speechcraft/guild things either to chill it out, and all NPCs seem to be affected, not just guards.

Clockwork city won a bunch of awards.  It was cool. Qaxe's has a ton of cool stuff I keep randomly discovering.  Rebuilding Helgen is supposed to be really awesome too.
Alrighty, will add them to my list ^^

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #826 on: October 09, 2019, 11:41:52 AM »
I reached a boss in Dark Souls 3, I won't spoil which one, and hit a total brick wall. I spent a few hours grinding to a higher level and although I still couldn't beat him, I was doing a lot better. Then I found out the joystick on my controller was falling apart and I couldn't grip it properly. The joystick you use to direct your dodges.

So now I have to take a break while I wait for my new controller to arrive.

Offline Yora

« Reply #827 on: October 14, 2019, 07:52:53 PM »
I dug out Horizon again. I played maybe 20 hours when it came out two years ago but then more or less forgot about it.

Now I started over and am now 25 hours in, and I completely agree with everyone that this game looks great and the combat and the monsters are just fantastic. I agree that on objective grounds, this game really deserves to be rated very highly.

I just don't find it very interesting. Having these barbarians live in a world of skyscraper ruins and giant machine beasts looks cool, but I find characters, story, and even setting very generic and uninspired in practice. Combat is such huge fun that it totally makes the game worth it, but other than that it feels rather anemic.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #828 on: October 22, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »
Well, the new controller certainly works well. I beat three DS3 bosses today, one on my second try and another on my first try. I'm well into the second half of the main game and I am feeling so smug right now.

I'll probably be stuck at the boss I'm on now for a month.

Offline Yora

« Reply #829 on: October 23, 2019, 09:40:00 AM »
There are a couple of bosses that can be killed quite easily if you figure out their trick early and you happen to avoid them using their strongest attack. Crystal Sages, the Deacons, and Wolnir come to mind.
But then there's also the fast duel bosses who zip all over the place where it's all about constant dodging and blocking. For replays, those are the really fun ones, but the first time they can be really tough cookies.

Too my suprise I got bored of Horizon and returned to Skyrim. After 8 years, I am finally really enjoying Skyrim for what it is.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #830 on: October 23, 2019, 12:35:36 PM »
There are a couple of bosses that can be killed quite easily if you figure out their trick early and you happen to avoid them using their strongest attack. Crystal Sages, the Deacons, and Wolnir come to mind.
But then there's also the fast duel bosses who zip all over the place where it's all about constant dodging and blocking. For replays, those are the really fun ones, but the first time they can be really tough cookies.

Too my suprise I got bored of Horizon and returned to Skyrim. After 8 years, I am finally really enjoying Skyrim for what it is.

I actually struggled with the Crystal Sage and the Deacons. Wolnir was just as pathetic as everyone said he would be though. Oceiros was unbelievably easy. I found him with three or four estus left and still beat him on my first try. I felt kind of guilty about it actually, like I'd just mugged an old man.

Offline Yora

« Reply #831 on: October 23, 2019, 06:26:35 PM »
When you have a shield and the discipline to keep is raised when he can make a tail swipe, Oceiros can't really hurt you.

It also works really well with the Dancer, the Pontiff, and the Prince. They can only hurt you when you let them hurt you.

Crystal Sage I found very easy, but that was because I had played through Demon's Souls and Dark Souls before.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It's the same fight as Fool's Idol and Pinwheel.

Offline Bender

« Reply #832 on: October 24, 2019, 03:17:14 AM »
I want to play half life again! Thanks to other thread. I miss FPS games.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #833 on: October 24, 2019, 08:13:19 PM »
When you have a shield and the discipline to keep is raised when he can make a tail swipe, Oceiros can't really hurt you.

It also works really well with the Dancer, the Pontiff, and the Prince. They can only hurt you when you let them hurt you.

Crystal Sage I found very easy, but that was because I had played through Demon's Souls and Dark Souls before.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It's the same fight as Fool's Idol and Pinwheel.

I actually had to look up a guide for the sage. It is similar to pinwheel, but unlike pinwheel, the clones actually try to attack you. Once you work out which is the real boss and just focus on that it's pretty manageable though.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Pontiff was the boss I was ranting about earlier. I'm on the Twin Princes now and I have yet to find a fight as hard as the pontiff. He's as relentless as a Bloodborne boss, but much harder to dodge, and that five hit combo destroys me every time unless I have enough space and stamina to run away. He's the only boss I had to summon for, and as far as I'm concerned, continues the trend of putting the hardest boss in the middle rather than at the end that began with the O&S fight, another one I could only beat by summoning, and even then it took me about thirty tries.

Offline Yora

« Reply #834 on: October 24, 2019, 08:27:32 PM »
Yeah, he is tough. Hits hard, hits fast, and doesn't give you much openings. I think I played through the game four or five times now, but when I wanted to farm sunlight medals through co-op support, he was usually the boss where you got summoned the quickest, so I probably have fought him 20 or 30 times now. And a shield is just amazing.  ;D

The one boss that I never defeated by myself is the one in the big hidden area. Even with 3 player co-op that one took me a lot of tries. I have no idea how people beat him alone.

The Princes were also really tough when I first encountered them, but once you have them figured out you actually can very well dance around them. This really is one of the things that make all the games so utterly fascinating. You can work your ass for hours and dozens of tries the first time you play the game.
Iudex Gundyr was really tough the first time. Now I start a new game and easily kill him before he can even transform into his second phase.

There is always a temptation to think "the thing I just did avoided getting hit and dealt a bit of damage to the boss. If I can repeat this perfectly for 5 minutes without break, I can beat him." And then you try and try and try until you nail it. But then later you see videos of someone using fire or lightning damage instead and killing the boss with four hits in under 10 seconds. But it just never occured to you that you might be using a really weak attack form.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #835 on: October 25, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »
Yeah, he is tough. Hits hard, hits fast, and doesn't give you much openings. I think I played through the game four or five times now, but when I wanted to farm sunlight medals through co-op support, he was usually the boss where you got summoned the quickest, so I probably have fought him 20 or 30 times now. And a shield is just amazing.  ;D

The one boss that I never defeated by myself is the one in the big hidden area. Even with 3 player co-op that one took me a lot of tries. I have no idea how people beat him alone.

The Princes were also really tough when I first encountered them, but once you have them figured out you actually can very well dance around them. This really is one of the things that make all the games so utterly fascinating. You can work your ass for hours and dozens of tries the first time you play the game.
Iudex Gundyr was really tough the first time. Now I start a new game and easily kill him before he can even transform into his second phase.

There is always a temptation to think "the thing I just did avoided getting hit and dealt a bit of damage to the boss. If I can repeat this perfectly for 5 minutes without break, I can beat him." And then you try and try and try until you nail it. But then later you see videos of someone using fire or lightning damage instead and killing the boss with four hits in under 10 seconds. But it just never occured to you that you might be using a really weak attack form.

To be honest, I find the idea of repeating the same reasonably active attack until the boss is dead more fun than applying lots of buffs and one or two hitting it. I like these games to be a challenge. I see videos of speedrunners and people who win first time every time and I can't help but think they've ruined the game for themselves a little.

There's one boss notorious for dying in one hit, and when I killed it, I actually felt kind of guilty. There it was, standing there, doing nothing to hurt anyone, and then some guy just drops out of the sky and sticks a sword in its head. It made me feel like an elephant poacher.

I always found Iundex Gundyr easy, but I had no idea he could be killed before he got to phase two. That's amazing.

Offline Bender

« Reply #836 on: November 05, 2019, 11:02:41 AM »
Diablo IV announced in Blizzcon last week. The promos make it darker and more biblical and demonic than D3 and overall closer to the iconic D2.

Probably my favorite game of all time. Can't wait though no release date announced.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #837 on: November 06, 2019, 08:18:09 PM »
Started playing Dishonored 2 for the first time. So far I like the game, it's a lot like the first one with some interesting improvements (although I'll probably end up liking the first one more.) Only problem is, my PS4 absolutely hates it. The fan goes berserk when I put the disc in and it crashed after I beat the first mission, though thankfully my progress was saved.

I'm actually quite scared to play it again, because I'm worried my console will burst into flames.

Offline Yora

« Reply #838 on: November 12, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »
I finally started playing Hellblade. Such a fascinating game. And so creepy.
Also exactly the kind of story I've been looking for in books for years, and that I thought about writing. Maybe I should start practicing with writing fan fiction of this.