May 21, 2018, 06:10:50 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 88727 times)

Offline HAnthe

Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #750 on: December 02, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
Trying desperately, again, to get through Darkest Dungeon without losing the two intro characters (Reynauld and Dismas).  I want that achievement!  Damn but this game is unforgiving.  Just finally got the Crimson Court DLC so I imagine I'll be cursing even more of a storm soon enough.
Getting through Darkest Dungeon would be a start. I only managed to get through a second tier level once. I almost have all facilities fully upgraded, so maybe it's going to be a bit easier now.

Gear and skills are seriously important -- as well as party composition for the dungeon type.  It's a harsh learning curve at first.  I've only just really started to use guard-skills and buffs/debuffs as opposed to trying to straight kill everything, and it's much more survivable, but still seriously difficult.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #751 on: December 24, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
Got back into Exile an Arma survival mod and am deeply enjoying being nasty to some very vocal opponents.
Tis the season of goodwill after all.

Offline Yora

« Reply #752 on: December 24, 2017, 03:52:40 PM »
Playing Dark Souls once more (think I got some 150 hours in this game) and just started going into Artorias of the Abyss. Very cool going over the first bridge and noticing the similarities to Darkroot Garden.  :D
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Hedin

« Reply #753 on: January 08, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
I picked up a game called They Are Billions this weekend and loving it.  It's an RTS but instead of going out and trying to destroy the enemy on the map you actually have to defend your base against attacks and it can be tough, one little mistake and you're all done.  In a way its frustrating but for me its a fun sort of frustrating that I enjoy.  The game is in Early Access on Steam right now with just the survival mode available at this point.  They are going to have a campaign when it gets to 1.0 but honestly at that point it will be a bonus, I will get my money's worth just with the survival mode.

Offline baltazar

« Reply #754 on: January 19, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »
The last game I mostly play is cube runner at veve.
Try hard!

Offline Yora

« Reply #755 on: January 20, 2018, 08:40:07 PM »
Got 100% in Dark Souls this week and now I am back to giving Dark Souls 3 another try.
Close to 500 hours in total and still not getting old. These games are just so good.
Spriggan's Den

Offline Yora

« Reply #756 on: March 25, 2018, 08:00:57 PM »
I finally got back to Darkest Dungeon and now that I've been putting some work into unlocking and buying more equipment upgrades for my characters it's actually getting a lot easier.
I was always hesitant to spend money on buying weapons and armor that would be lost when the characters die, as I had always been very short on gold that all went into recovering the overstressed characters after lots of disastrous runs. But I'm starting to think that getting a character to a higher level does not actually affect their stats at all. It just enables you to buy better upgrades for them. In that case all my level 3 characters would still have had level 0 stats with just slightly improved attacks. Now that everyone has level two or three weapons and armor it becomes a lot easier. I even killed my first three bosses ever this weekend.  8) And now that they kill enemies faster and don't suffer as much hurt, characters return from a run with much less stress, freeing up more money to buy more upgrades.
Yay!

I also did finish a first playthrough of Dark Souls 3 a while back, but that game doesn't really draw me back to play it more like Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne did. That game is one and done.
Spriggan's Den

Offline Yora

« Reply #757 on: April 01, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
After completing Settler 2 for the first time in over 20 years, I am now trying my hand at Knights & Merchants. Actually makes me quite giddy to start it up again.

In addition, I also got Homeworld Remastered and The Longest Journey from GOG. Two more games that I loved back in the day but never ended up completing.
Spriggan's Den

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 01, 2018, 10:03:52 PM »
I just started Zelda, Breath Of The Wild on a switch that was lent to me. I'm screwed. I guess half my monthly savings will have to go to a switch now. No escaping it. The game is too good, the graphics too crazy, and besides skyrim is on the switch and there is hope of Monster Hunter coming to it as well. *sigh*
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #759 on: April 18, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »
I've been scarce of late, but not just because I've been busy writing. I've also been playing a rather ridiculous amount of Skyrim VR. Just on its own, it's a bit underwhelming and blurry in my Vive Pro, but once you mod it (and you CAN mod it) OMG does the game get gorgeous.

I live in Skyrim, ya'll. I f'ing LIVE THERE. I've climbed the 7000 steps and explored scary delves and beat draugr to death with my club and shield. I saw Hermaeus Mora as a giant eye-tentacle thing in the sky! Every day as I'm moving through this gorgeous world I routinely just stop and say "Wow. This game looks amazing."

It is truly the most compelling VR experience I've had yet. The best thing? It has convinced me that once more games of Skyrim's quality and scale are available for VR (which is still years off) we have decades of holodeck adventures to look forward to. SO MUCH AWESOME.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #760 on: April 24, 2018, 01:24:21 AM »
I'm now have 70 hours logged on Skryim VR. I'm married with a huge house, an adopted child, and a large cast of warrior and mage buddies with whom I dungeon delve and kill dragons. I did a quest for a talking dog. I may be a little too addicted to this game.

Send help.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #761 on: April 24, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »
Ahhh I want to try Skyrim VR so bad! I wouldn't even mind if there was no fighting, I just think it would be so wonderfully immersive to explore a fantasy world.

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #762 on: April 24, 2018, 09:56:35 AM »
I want to play Skyrim VR so bad too! Arghhh! (no money for VR headsets)

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #763 on: April 24, 2018, 04:49:17 PM »
Ahhh I want to try Skyrim VR so bad! I wouldn't even mind if there was no fighting, I just think it would be so wonderfully immersive to explore a fantasy world.

Exploration! Yes. It is SO good in that regard. I've modded the engine heavily with a ton of 2k texture mods and visual upgrades, and on the Vive Pro (which is much higher res than the original Vive) just walking around the forests of Skyrim often makes me stop and just stare in amazement.

I walk around staring at majestic fog-cloaked mountains, gently swaying trees, streams and rivers, flowers and shrubs, and real weather effects like rain, fog, snow, blizzards, and so on (added and enhanced by a mod). The sky at night is gorgeous (assuming it's not cloud-covered, of course) with brilliant stars and Tamriel's two moons clearly visible. Standing on the edge of the Throat of the World or climbing the 7,000 steps was really a jaw-dropping experience.

While there's still lots of rough edges to Skyrim VR (you need very strong VR legs to play it, for example, and using the Vive touchpads is ... not great) the sheer immersiveness of fully-voiced NPCs which make eye contact when they talk to me, literally a hundred hours of content with quests to do and dungeons to explore, and really fun combat (sword and shield, two hander, bow, magic, what have you) has reinforced my belief that in 10-20 years or so, when VR headsets are light and affordable and AAA studios have moved into developing multiple VR worlds on Skyrim's scale, we'll all be spending a great deal of time in fantasy or sci-fi worlds. For someone like me, it's just incredibly cool and, honestly, a dream come true.

I want to play Skyrim VR so bad too! Arghhh! (no money for VR headsets)

Yes, the barrier to entry is huge right now, sadly. However, by the time VR headsets are standable and affordable (5-10 years, tops) the experience will be vastly improved. So, take heart in the fact that though you are missing out on the early days, by the time you can jump into VR, it's going to be so much better than it is even now.

EDIT: While it's tempting, I wouldn't recommend Skyrim VR on PSVR (or PS4) because while the game is a solid port, it's really the mods that make it truly incredible. Without mods, vanilla Skyrim VR (especially on the PSVR platform, which is rather underwhelming) just isn't as cool. It's really the 100% accurate Vive tracking, roomscale, and availability of mods that makes PC Skyrim VR a killer app.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:51:22 PM by tebakutis »

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #764 on: April 25, 2018, 11:13:31 AM »
I'm salivating!!!!

I see you found Barbas! I've got a kazillion mods on my Skyrim-- I'm going to get VR eventually when I pick up my next income source :) I hear there's a mod that's almost done where people can play quests together in groups of 2-8.... if so we should get together!

My skyrim character has an instagram account, which seems to be followed entirely by other skyrim characters:

https://www.instagram.com/killin_it_in_tamriel/