December 08, 2019, 10:56:15 AM

Author Topic: What are you currently playing?  (Read 149514 times)

Offline Neveesandeh

Re: What are you currently playing?
« Reply #810 on: July 16, 2019, 05:41:34 PM »
I have at last, finished my first playthrough of Bloodborne. I wasn't able to do everything, I couldn't finish the chalice dungeons or beat the last two bosses of the dlc, but I can get to those later. The game is so good the first thing I did was start again with another character.

Offline Brand J Alexander

• Shadow Op
  • Weaving the magic of words into worlds of wonder.
    • View Profile
    • Fantasy Author Brand J. Alexander
« Reply #811 on: July 16, 2019, 05:47:29 PM »
I recently was distracted from my two current games when my husband surprised me with Dragonquest Builders. I love building cities when it is combined with quests and adventuring as well, and the crafting is fun. I am quite addicted at the moment. I haven't even cleared out the first zone because I have been too busy designing and perfecting the town of Cantlin. And hearing that Dragonquest Builders 2 has even more recipes and options makes me suspect I will buy it too. And I haven't even begun to unlock everything from this one.

Anyone else into builders?
Explore the Universe of Brand J. Alexander
https://brandjalexander.wixsite.com/website

Online Yora

« Reply #812 on: September 02, 2019, 03:28:12 PM »
I've been hesitating for a really long time about playing Metro Exodus, becausw it's *gasp* an open-world game, that annoying fad that made so many potentially great games bloated and clunky. I also think the second game was much weaker than the first. But I finally got it a week ago, and it turns out to not be an open-world game at all. It just has very large outdoor levels. It's still a mostly linear story focused game, it just lets you freely chose the paths you take between sites and the direction from which you try to sneak up on the enemies. It's pretty fantastic.

I'm also really happy that after watching the first announcement trailer, I've only seen two screenshots of a desert before playing this. I have absolutely no idea where anything is going, which is especially nice because that game is basically a long odyssey with the character themselves having no clue what their destination is or what they are looking for. They have to go forward, because they can not go back. And they have no idea what awaits them. And in the first two hours or so, there was pretty much one big bombshell every 10 minutes. Then after the first open region, the game throws every available trick at you to hint that something is wrong and something bad's gonna happen. And it does, in possibly one of my favorite moments of escalation in fiction. The only thing that bugs me a little is that this third game is so very much different from the first in it's environment and atmosphere, but it's still great. Just different.

I was a bit puzzled about the extremely divergent reception the game had in february, but apparently the complaints were primarily about technical issues on PC. Now on PS4 I am having no technical issues, other than ot would be nice if loading times could be a bit shorter. But in what the game actually gives you in gameplay, story, and style, this really is excelent. It's a fantastic game.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #813 on: September 02, 2019, 06:51:55 PM »
Since youtube keeps telling me I should play Pokemon Masters, and with Sword and Shield on the way, I've decided to pull out my copies of Pokemon White and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire to play. (Almost 3 years since release and I still can't decide if I want Pokemon Sun or Moon.)

I want to do a challenge with one, or both, of them, but I can't decide beyond narrowing it down to the Nuzlocke or Monotype Challenge. At this rate though, I might just combine the two challenges into some kind of hybrid to see what happens.

Offline Bender

« Reply #814 on: September 02, 2019, 09:52:20 PM »
Anyone else into builders?

Ceaser used to be my favorite long time before. Have played the usual Asim series, Roller Coaster Tycoon etc. Lean more towards RTS than pure city building.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

Online Yora

« Reply #815 on: October 03, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »
After many years I've started playing Skyrim again. And I am still not sure if this is actually a good game. There are a lot of things about it that are interesting and entertaining, but I can't shake the impression that it's just a pretty surface with no real substance below it. There is not really any gameplay. I am level 20 now and I am not feeling any difference to level 1. You keep getting new weapons and armor that have higher numbers on them, but there doesn't seem to be any difference. You can learn more spells to deal damage with other visual effects and to get further protection and healing, but combat is so easy that there doesn't seem to be any point to it. You can collect stuff, sell stuff, buy stuff, and make new stuff, but what is the point of any of that if the new stuff feels identical to the old stuff.

Someone told me that all enemies increase in power with you, but there are some that have a minimum power level and only start getting stronger once you have reached their power level. Which would mean that there are some areas of the world that you can only get through once you have reached higher levels. But I have not noticed any such places yet. So really, what is the point of anything.

I feel like the entire skill, magic, and equipment system could be removed from the game completely and it wouldn't  change the game at all. Now I do enjoy exploring new places in this world quite a bit, but it still feels like this game has no meat to it, and I can't see how people gush over it and play it for several hundred hours. I don't need games to be hard, but I think any halfway decent game has to challenge you to do a little bit of work to progress. This game doesn't. You can sleepwalk through the whole thing. And there isn't any meaningful story in the game either.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #816 on: October 03, 2019, 08:13:06 PM »
After many years I've started playing Skyrim again. And I am still not sure if this is actually a good game. There are a lot of things about it that are interesting and entertaining, but I can't shake the impression that it's just a pretty surface with no real substance below it. There is not really any gameplay. I am level 20 now and I am not feeling any difference to level 1. You keep getting new weapons and armor that have higher numbers on them, but there doesn't seem to be any difference. You can learn more spells to deal damage with other visual effects and to get further protection and healing, but combat is so easy that there doesn't seem to be any point to it. You can collect stuff, sell stuff, buy stuff, and make new stuff, but what is the point of any of that if the new stuff feels identical to the old stuff.

Someone told me that all enemies increase in power with you, but there are some that have a minimum power level and only start getting stronger once you have reached their power level. Which would mean that there are some areas of the world that you can only get through once you have reached higher levels. But I have not noticed any such places yet. So really, what is the point of anything.

I feel like the entire skill, magic, and equipment system could be removed from the game completely and it wouldn't  change the game at all. Now I do enjoy exploring new places in this world quite a bit, but it still feels like this game has no meat to it, and I can't see how people gush over it and play it for several hundred hours. I don't need games to be hard, but I think any halfway decent game has to challenge you to do a little bit of work to progress. This game doesn't. You can sleepwalk through the whole thing. And there isn't any meaningful story in the game either.

Skyrim is a game that has aged really badly. I sank hours into it is a child, but now I don't really have any intention of going back to it. The story is pretty bad, the combat is atrocious, the RPG elements are pretty badly thought out...

Skyrim was a groundbreaking game, but the games it influenced, like Breath of the Wild or the Witcher 3 all went on to do the same things so much better.

Of course, it's flaws are only made worse by Bethesda's total refusal to make the next game and let it die.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:43:32 AM by Neveesandeh »

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #817 on: October 04, 2019, 02:15:44 AM »
I remember I added some very nice mods to Skyrim and it became really good. Like a much better skill/magic/exp development and combat and such. Vanilla was boring and bland even during release date.

My personal pleasures have been Football Manager, Hearthstone and Fire Emblem:Heroes for mobile. Started playing some Crusader Kings 2 again too.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Online Yora

« Reply #818 on: October 04, 2019, 07:04:03 AM »
Skyrim wasn't groundbreaking in any way. Morrowind was. Skyrim added nothing new to that and is inferior in most ways. The only reason I am not playing Morrowind right now is that I can play Skyrim on PS3.
Though maybe I should dig out my Morrowind saves from last year and continue with that.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #820 on: October 04, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »
I bought a bunch of games lately and I've been trying out a few. Has anyone heard of that Devil May Cry reboot that came out a few years back that pretty much everyone hated?

That's what I'm trying out right now.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 04, 2019, 01:11:55 PM »
I'm trying Dauntless. It's a bit a monster hunter-like mmo that got released recently. No idea if it is any good yet since I just started. :p

As for my skyrim playthrough, I'm grinding through the thieves guild quests rn. I want to finish these and the assassin guild before moving on to the expansions.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #822 on: October 08, 2019, 05:33:31 AM »
I'm trying Dauntless. It's a bit a monster hunter-like mmo that got released recently. No idea if it is any good yet since I just started. :p

As for my skyrim playthrough, I'm grinding through the thieves guild quests rn. I want to finish these and the assassin guild before moving on to the expansions.

I do the thieves guild almost every time I play! What expansions are you doing? Are you on PC? Have you installed any quest mods? I've done Moonpaths to Elsweyr, various pieces of the snow elf stuff in Qaxe's Questorium, Bruma, Clockwork City, Grey Cowl of Nocturnal, and a few others.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 08, 2019, 07:10:29 AM »

I do the thieves guild almost every time I play! What expansions are you doing? Are you on PC? Have you installed any quest mods? I've done Moonpaths to Elsweyr, various pieces of the snow elf stuff in Qaxe's Questorium, Bruma, Clockwork City, Grey Cowl of Nocturnal, and a few others.
Going vanilla right now for blank experience. Excepting two mods from their cash shop that were being given away. (materials and nyx hound).
I have all the xpacs but so far I'm only doing mainland. After thieves guild and dark brotherhood I will do dawnguard and dragonborn.
Will definitely do moonpaths in my next playthrough but still looking for mods otherwise. Feel free to recommend your favourites :p

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #824 on: October 09, 2019, 06:56:59 AM »

Going vanilla right now for blank experience. Excepting two mods from their cash shop that were being given away. (materials and nyx hound).
I have all the xpacs but so far I'm only doing mainland. After thieves guild and dark brotherhood I will do dawnguard and dragonborn.
Will definitely do moonpaths in my next playthrough but still looking for mods otherwise. Feel free to recommend your favourites :p

Bruma was meh.  I think the crime settings glitched because everyone in the province tries to murder me everytime I go there and they're constantly sending bounty hunters and I don't even remember what I did. It's not letting me do the speechcraft/guild things either to chill it out, and all NPCs seem to be affected, not just guards.

Clockwork city won a bunch of awards.  It was cool. Qaxe's has a ton of cool stuff I keep randomly discovering.  Rebuilding Helgen is supposed to be really awesome too.