February 19, 2020, 12:16:42 AM

Author Topic: Top Manga / Anime?  (Read 36324 times)

Offline AlexEatsBooks

Re: Top Manga / Anime?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
Fruits Basket: Saw someone put this on their list. I absolutely loved the manga. *3* Anime was cool, but slightly disappointing after reading the manga.

I think that was me. I've only seen the anime; I've never read the manga, but I hear it's very good. The anime made me fall head over heels for Kyo; he's such a lovable jerk. :)

I had the manga on my list - it's amazing Kit you really should read them!!!
Even if it's remembered, a dream is just a dream.
Book Blog: http://www.alexeatsbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Gothic Panda

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
Fruits Basket: Saw someone put this on their list. I absolutely loved the manga. *3* Anime was cool, but slightly disappointing after reading the manga.

I think that was me. I've only seen the anime; I've never read the manga, but I hear it's very good. The anime made me fall head over heels for Kyo; he's such a lovable jerk. :)

I had the manga on my list - it's amazing Kit you really should read them!!!

Read it!!! I might have to stalk you if you don't. D=

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
We've had to cut pretty much anything extra out of our budget because our old house won't sell. >_< Stupid crappy housing market. We had to move because of my husband's job. Netflix counted as extra. If the house sells, I get Netflix back.

That makes sense.  Good luck with the house!  I'm sure you'll sell it soon. :)

Offline TsarevichRaven

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »
Okay...

Manga
Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles
Dogs: Bullets and Carnage
Takeru: Opera Susanoh, Sword of the Devil
Pandora Hearts
Kuroshitsuji
Vampire Knight
Ouran High School Host Club
07 Ghost
Togainu no Chi
Yumekui Kenbun
Mugen Spiral
Rust Blaster
And so many more I always forget...

Anime
Any series listed above that exists in anime form
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
The World God Only Knows
Angel Beats
Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan
Bakumatsu Kitansetsu Irohanihoheto
Amatsuki
Sengoku Basara
Darker than BLACK
D.Gray-Man
Mother Keeper
Zombie Loan
And probably a million series I've forgotten...

:)

I don't watch/read any of the 'big' series like Bleach or Naruto, as I think they're entirely overrated compared with the other great stuff out there. Neither do I really go in for any of the 'old school' stuff, really...mainly because the art-style doesn't appeal to me.
"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw ... where those of wit and learning will always find their kind."
-------------
Leo Cristea
Twitter
Website | Jet Black Ink

Offline Overlord

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »
Anyone seen FMA Brotherhood? I'm quite against it... I think the original anime was far better... this new one seems very Americanised, which is sad :(

Death Note is also being Americanised with an American movie coming sometime soon apparently - I quite enjoyed the Japanese Movies, but the fact they are remaking it makes me nervous =/
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline ganstream1

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2011, 11:23:25 AM »
Brotherhood is the real version because it follows the manga storyline.

The 2006(?) version is the alternate version. It was more adult and a bit more depressing than brotherhood.  Or at least that's how I see it.

Offline Gothic Panda

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
So far I've liked Brotherhood more than the original. I like that Brotherhood got rid a lot of the repetitive, and unnecessary, exposition from the first series. Plus, I like that it follows the manga more. Of course, I've only seen the first 10 episodes or so of Brotherhood. I'll probably post a more accurate review once I finish Brotherhood--hopefully this weekend. =) My best friend just got her hands on the complete series and she's bringing it up here to watch, so FMA marathon at my house. =D

Offline ChrisMB

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2011, 02:45:06 AM »
I haven't seen Brotherhood, but I do really love the original FMA anime and the FMA manga is my favorite series. I also enjoy the Bleach manga for its absurdity. I also like the Starcraft: Frontline mangas, which is a four-volume anthology series.

Offline TsarevichRaven

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
I watched the original FMA, but couldn't get into Brotherhood. I'm very specific about the art-style of series I watch, and to me, the change in art style just wasn't my thing. That said, given that it follows the manga more closely than the original anime, I'd probably rather read the manga instead. It's always one of those series I watched so long ago, I tend to forget about it!
"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw ... where those of wit and learning will always find their kind."
-------------
Leo Cristea
Twitter
Website | Jet Black Ink

Offline AdelineCappuccino

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2011, 06:28:18 PM »
Bleh, the Brotherhood vs. Original debates always grate on me. I like both. There's no reason to like one any not the other, really; it's the same series, just going in different directions. Or maybe it's just easier for me to switch over because I love visual novels, and half the fun of those is all the alternate storyline paths.

As for my favorite anime and manga, I have a few tops:

Hetalia: Axis Powers
Saint Seiya (and really anything by Masami Kurumada...)
Ouran High School Host Club
Yu Yu Hakusho
Higurashi: When They Cry, and
D. Gray-Man

I also love the American manga-style comics of Svetlana Chemkova. Dramacon and Nightschool are some of my favorite stories period. :3
"I keep trying to tell you, storytellers are omniscient. I know everything."

Offline TsarevichRaven

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
Or maybe it's just easier for me to switch over because I love visual novels, and half the fun of those is all the alternate storyline paths. 

I understand that...makes a lot of sense.
I'd like Brotherhood, if the art appealed to me. But it just doesn't.

Also...mentioning Visual Novels, and having cited Higurashi no naku koro ni, if you've not seen it, perhaps you'd like Umineko no naku koro ni? It's (obviously) by the same people, and works in a similar vein (arcs, and...well, yeah, that sort of thing).

-------------
Leo Cristea
Twitter
Website | Jet Black Ink

Offline Gothic Panda

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
I watched the first 3 DVDs of Brotherhood this past weekend with a friend of mine, and I think I'm in love. As a huge fan of the original series, I was never quite satisfied with the original--not that there were problems with it (aside from the fact that it ended), I just wanted more. Brotherhood is giving me exactly what I wanted--it's like reading a really good fanfiction, except better. I could go on for a while, especially since I'm very excited about this at the moment, so I'll stop here. I'm going to be posting a more thorough review of what I saw on my blog today; I can link that if anyone really wants to read my rantings on this subject.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »
Sounds like I need to give brotherhood another go then... ;) I'll pick up the DVD's from Amazon shortly :D
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline ibeeeg

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2011, 06:40:18 PM »
Thanks to my 11 year old daughter, I am now a HUGE fan of FMA!  We have been watching about 3 episodes per day thanks to Netflix streaming, and I am currently ready to view episode 30.   She has already watched all 51 episodes. I never knew that I could love a Manga/Anime series as much as I am loving this one.  (what is the difference between Manga and Anime?).  She has started watching Brotherhood, and really likes it. I am sure that I will watch it within the next few months.

Has anyone watched FMA:The Conqueror of Shambala?  We will be watching it as soon as I have completed my first viewing of the series.

I don't read/watch Manga stuff, but if it can be as good as FMA then I think I need to search out more to read/watch. One note about the FMA books; I was going to purchase them for my daughter, but I don't dig black and white Manga. I wish they were in color.

I forgot, I did read one Manga book - Emma by Kaoru Mori.  I did really enjoy the first book, but cannot locate the other books in my library and am not keen about dishing out around 10 bucks per book.  I do believe that I will try watching the series via DVDs.  Anyone else read or watch Emma?

Offline TsarevichRaven

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2011, 07:44:20 PM »
what is the difference between Manga and Anime?

Manga: Japanese 'comic' books. Literally the graphic novel style publications that appear in print. Usually, if a both a manga and anime exist of a series, the manga came first. Usually, but not always.
Anime: Literally, Japanese animation. I hesitate to call them "Japanese cartoons", but it usually clarifies the point. They can be based on manga (therefore becoming adaptations), but can also be anime-original.

:)
-------------
Leo Cristea
Twitter
Website | Jet Black Ink