May 30, 2020, 12:19:38 PM

Author Topic: Top Manga / Anime?  (Read 36744 times)

Offline wikkels

Re: Top Manga / Anime?
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2013, 05:56:53 PM »
Reviving a dead thread kinda, but I'm only just getting round to checking out this section.

Favourite manga in no particular order-

Dragonball/Z (Addictive as balls!)
Uzumaki (Great art, truly disturbing ideas, visually... repulsive in some areas!)
D.Gray-man (Brilliant atmosphere and artwork in the earlier volumes - to about 16 or so)
Battle Royale (Gruesome, detailed artwork, great story with great dilemmas and characters)
Sandland (Great one volume story, good pacing and art)
Monster Hunter (Loved the games, semi-canon, great series for 4 volumes)
Hotel (One-shot)
Psyren (Very awesome concept)
Ral-Grad (Amazing series for 4 volumes, Great story)
Gon (Stunning, stunning artwork, a story where no words are used, cute animals!)
Pokemon Adventures (Amazing use of the original game canon, and some great concepts on battling)

That's just a few of them, but these are some that stand out in my mind.
I need more room on my shelves, they're overflowing at the moment!

If also only gotten round to this ection now, so thanks.

Im not big into manga but the anime I enjoy are the normal classic big ones such as Naruto and Bleach. Thoguh my favourite one is Trigun as it the first anime I ever waatched and I still feel like a kid when I ever re-watch it. Samurai Champloo is another favourite. I'm currently watching One Piece and it is brilliant. I enjoy the wide variety of 'devil-fruit' powers that are available and thing the side-effect is a pretty big one considering.

Also as this a place for people who love rading I would recomend Read Or Die both the OVA and the series as it is about bibliophiles that can manipulate and use paper in differnet ways such as weapons and clothes.

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2013, 09:10:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm in to anime too, but I don't get as much time to watch it anymore.

The first anime I ever saw was called Goku: Midnight Eye. Was made in the 80s i think, and the only reason I remember it is because of the really weird part where there's a naked woman with peacock feathers standing on the back of a truck on the motorway. For some reason that stuck with me since being 4 years old ;)

And yeah, I agree. Read or Die is actually pretty good, even though the paper manipulation seems very limited at first glance!
Up Helly Aah!

Offline Abhik

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »
Hi new here but love fantasy books,movies,games.... AND a huge fan of anime and mangas
     BUT WTF why has no one mentioned fairy tail and one piece? Two of the best mangas and animes out there.
OK the idea behind one piece is a little weird but its unique and cool check it out. 8)

Offline Jaedia

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2013, 03:30:13 PM »
My top anime, in no particular order:

Code Geass
Ghost in the Shell
Ergo Proxy
Death Note
Anything Ghibli
Cowboy Bebop
Swords Art Online (guilty pleasure)

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »
Hi new here but love fantasy books,movies,games.... AND a huge fan of anime and mangas
     BUT WTF why has no one mentioned fairy tail and one piece? Two of the best mangas and animes out there.
OK the idea behind one piece is a little weird but its unique and cool check it out. 8)

Welcome, Abhik!  :)

One Piece is hella long for me to start reading now. I prefer buying them rather than reading them online - apparently my only hobby is collecting manga!  ;D
Fairy Tail is really good, too! But again, I wish it was shorter so I could buy it and not have to give up food for a few months.

And Jaedia, I agree about Death Note. I prefer the anime to the manga, for the simple reason that the anime adds a bunch of tension that I didn't get from the manga.
Up Helly Aah!

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2013, 10:24:05 AM »
Wow - I could have sworn I'd posted on here before! I've never read manga - looked at it in bookshops before but just don't get the appeal.

Anime, on the other hand...  ;D

My favourite include:

Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist (Original - I haven't seen Brotherhood yet)
Naruto
Dragonball Z
Anything Ghibli but Porco Rosso and Howl's Moving Castle are particular favourites
Elfen Lied - This is quite a weird and gruesome anime, but worth a watch.

I also have a whole load to get through that I got for Christmas a couple of years back:

Death Note
Ghost in The Shell 1st series
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 1 and 2
Devil May Cry
Vampire Hunter D

Any suggestion what to watch next?
Make Another World.

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2013, 11:15:20 AM »
Trigun! How many times do I have to tell you?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Trigun is pretty awesome. And funny.

FMA:Brotherhood is based on the manga (the finished manga) and so feels a hell of a lot less fillery and pointless like the original FMA  :D

I love collecting manga, so maybe I'm a little biased ;)
Up Helly Aah!

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »
Wow - I could have sworn I'd posted on here before! I've never read manga - looked at it in bookshops before but just don't get the appeal.

My favourite include:

Cowboy Bebop
Naruto
Dragonball Z
Anything Ghibli but Porco Rosso and Howl's Moving Castle are particular favourites

I also have a whole load to get through that I got for Christmas a couple of years back:

Death Note
Devil May Cry
Vampire Hunter D

I agree with Lor. Trigun. Definitely! :) Based on your list I would also suggest you try Soul Eater. The first three episodes are the pilot, so make sure you watch through episode 4 before you make up your mind on it. :)

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »

My favourite include:

Cowboy Bebop
Naruto
Dragonball Z

Death Note
Devil May Cry
Vampire Hunter D

I agree with Lor. Trigun. Definitely! :) Based on your list I would also suggest you try Soul Eater. The first three episodes are the pilot, so make sure you watch through episode 4 before you make up your mind on it. :)

Ah - ok - let me clarify - what should I watch next, that I already own...? Here's the list again -

Death Note
Devil May Cry
Make Another World.

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2013, 11:14:32 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Champloo

Same creator of Cowboy Bebop. Great show. Soul Eater is pretty great, too. Gintama is good, too. It's rather ridiculous at parts, but when the main character (Gintoki) gets serious, it's pretty cool. That's about it.

There's also the usual stuff, like One Piece, Naruto, etc.

Katekyo Hitman Reborn got really good about a quarter way through the series. I'll need to refresh my memory before I give you more solid recommendations.
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »
Ghost in the Shell is only a movie - so that won't take long to watch.
Death Note is a staple of anyone's collection - It is good, but I'm not sure it's as good as the phenomena would suggest (Saying that, I was addicted to it for about 3 years  ;D )

And, yeah. Jian is right. You might like Champloo - it's pretty funny and has some awesome fights.
Up Helly Aah!

Offline Spencer

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2013, 11:07:07 AM »
I'm happy and somewhat surprised to see anime/manga discussions in FF :)

Berserk is easily my favorite manga. Vagabond is great too. As for anime, Studio Ghibli takes up my top 5, followed by Denpa teki na Kanojo, FLCL, Time of Eve, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Tekkon Kinkreet, and BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »
Ghost in the Shell is only a movie - so that won't take long to watch.
Death Note is a staple of anyone's collection - It is good, but I'm not sure it's as good as the phenomena would suggest (Saying that, I was addicted to it for about 3 years  ;D )

And, yeah. Jian is right. You might like Champloo - it's pretty funny and has some awesome fights.

I've seen the Ghost in the Shell movie - this is a series...<checks Wikipedia>...called Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

I reckon it will have to be Death Note then!  :)

And thanks for the recommendation on Samurai Champloo Jian/Zael - I'd never have thought to check it (ridiculous name) but being the same creator as Cowboy Bebop, I have to check it out!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:15:35 AM by Idlewilder »
Make Another World.

Offline AlmightyZael

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2013, 06:53:26 PM »
I thought the same about the name.
It means something like a compilation of fighting styles to create a unique style of samurai combat (but don't quote me on that, that's a rough definition I think)

And... I didn't even realise there was a Ghost anime!
Up Helly Aah!