September 22, 2019, 07:12:32 AM

Author Topic: Top Manga / Anime?  (Read 35462 times)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Re: Top Manga / Anime?
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »
My brother and I watched a weird selection of first+ episodes off Netflix and my bro's computer this week.

Samurai Champloo 1st
Bleach 1st - 3rd
Naruto 1st - 4th?
Desert Punk 1st - 3rd
Azumanga Daioh 1st
Baccano 1st
Heroic Age 1st

My brother and I are kind of ADD when it comes to watching anime. :)

Samurai Champloo is really cool!  Definitely going to watch more of that :D  Bleach is pretty cool as is Naruto.  My brother was kind of upset that One Piece wasn't available as then we could watch ninjas, samurai, and pirates. :)  Desert Punk is funny and crude and my brothers and their friends love it. ::)  Baccano was really bizarre but has some really interesting storytelling going on.  It is super violent though.  Azumanga Daioh and Heroic Age I could live with or without.  I love it when Netflix adds a whole bunch of new stuff.  ;D

Offline Gothic Panda

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
Has anyone watched FMA:The Conqueror of Shambala?  We will be watching it as soon as I have completed my first viewing of the series.

I've seen it. It adds better closure to the first FMA series. I will say though that the last couple of episodes of the series + the movie are a little on the weird side--I'm not sure I liked them as much as the rest of the series, and I have hopes of Brotherhood having a more satisfying ending.

Quote from: Autumn2May
I love it when Netflix adds a whole bunch of new stuff. 

We're thinking of hijacking my brother's Netflix account to stream stuff from our Wii. I want to finish watching Brotherhood so badly right now--along with other stuff, but I'm more than a little obsessed with FMA at the moment.

Offline ibeeeg

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2011, 03:32:13 PM »
what is the difference between Manga and Anime?

Manga: Japanese 'comic' books. Literally the graphic novel style publications that appear in print. Usually, if a both a manga and anime exist of a series, the manga came first. Usually, but not always.
Anime: Literally, Japanese animation. I hesitate to call them "Japanese cartoons", but it usually clarifies the point. They can be based on manga (therefore becoming adaptations), but can also be anime-original.

:)
Thanks. I figured that was the difference but wanted to be certain.   :)

Has anyone watched FMA:The Conqueror of Shambala?  We will be watching it as soon as I have completed my first viewing of the series.

I've seen it. It adds better closure to the first FMA series. I will say though that the last couple of episodes of the series + the movie are a little on the weird side--I'm not sure I liked them as much as the rest of the series, and I have hopes of Brotherhood having a more satisfying ending.

I want to finish watching Brotherhood so badly right now--along with other stuff, but I'm more than a little obsessed with FMA at the moment.

You are more than a little obsessed with FMA? Oh geez, I am very obsessed with FMA right now!  Seriously, I cannot believe how much I like this series. I think about it throughout the day, and cannot wait for when I sit down with my daughter to watch a few episodes. While I am typing this, I am jonesing a bit because I could not watch any episodes last night since I had to work.   Anyway, I hope I find the ending of FMA and the movie to be satisfactory. Even if not completely, I do not think it will diminish my love for this series.  I wonder if I should take a bit of a breather and watch a different Anime before going on with Brotherhood. Something I am pondering.

Netflix is great! I am glad that I switched over just for the streaming alone.

Offline heirofsalazar

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »
I really liked FMA the first time around but when they redid it I just... lost it ><. Didn't like the art of the second anime and just yeah, it kinda lead to me not watching any of it at all.

Favourite anime
- Pandora Hearts
- Darker than BLACK
- The World God Only Knows
- Junjou Romantica
- Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
- Neo Angelique Abyss
- Vampire Knight
- Zombie Loan

Favourite manga:
- Pandora Hearts
- Kuroshitsuji
- Junjou Romantica
- Dogs: bullets and carnage
- Togainu no chi
- Yumekui Kenbun

Offline Gothic Panda

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2011, 03:26:24 AM »
I know it's been a while since I posted here, but I know I said I'd post my opinion on FMA: Brotherhood once I finished it. My thoughts: It's awesome! The ending was great--it provided excellent closure, and not just for the main characters. Brotherhood added characters that weren't in the original and really added a lot to the story. Characters from the original got fleshed out a little more. I could go on for a while--I'm beyond obsessed with this series at the moment. I watched all 64 episodes over a 4 day period... That probably wasn't the most healthy thing to do. So yeah...

If you want a more detailed review, you can read the blog I posted right before I got into the 4th volume of the series: http://gothicpandaart.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-am-so-drawing-fma-bookmarks.html

I loved it; I still don't want to compare it to the original--I like them both.

Offline shinn

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2011, 10:29:48 AM »
I like most of the japanese anime & manga my top of the list are

Anime:
Naruto Shippuuden
One Piece
Bleach
Full Metal Alchemist
Avatar The last Air bender(though the series is completed but i loved it)

Manga:
Naruto Shippuuden
One Piece
Bleach

Offline Lyz

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »
I watched the first 3 DVDs of Brotherhood this past weekend with a friend of mine, and I think I'm in love. As a huge fan of the original series, I was never quite satisfied with the original--not that there were problems with it (aside from the fact that it ended), I just wanted more. Brotherhood is giving me exactly what I wanted--it's like reading a really good fanfiction, except better.

This, this, this forever. I just finished up the original series about a month ago, and I've spent the last month working my way through Brotherhood. We're about halfway through it now, and it's just... Giving me so much more that I wanted from the original series. I love what was changed from the original anime; I think the characterization is just wonderful, and I find the story a bit more compelling.
Elizabeth Mace Giosia. Call me Lyz. 29. Leo. Fantasy Faction Staff Member, Reviews. Owner of Giosia Photography and Stoneheart Cosplay

Need a review for your novel? Email me at emgiosia@gmail.com!

Offline Sereg

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2011, 01:16:18 AM »
Wow...not one mention of Berserk.

Anime
BERSERK - Amazing, but very shitty ending do to budget. They couldn't finish the series. I believe they were one episode shy of a complete series.
Claymore
Akira
FMA
Vampire Hunter D
Ghost in a Shell
Ergo Proxy
Escaflowne

Manga
BERSERK - The only manga I have read. Guts has got to be the most bad ass of bad ass's.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
-Yeats

Offline Redeyed

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2011, 09:26:18 PM »
my top anime would be:

1. XXXholic
2. Claymore
3. Martian Successor Nadesico
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion
5. Bleach/ Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. (they are both so cool so need to magically squeeze them into my top 5 hehe)

my top manga's would be:

1. Priest
2. XXXholic
3. Bleach
4. Claymore
5. Negima

:)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:32:29 PM by Redeyed »

Offline Nightshine

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »
 ??? I got pretty freaked out when no one had mentioned One Piece until the last page.. same with Negima and Deadman Wonderland :-\

Deathnote - amazing, the plot and everything is brilliant. Also the drawing style appeals to the genre perfectly :)

Deadman Wonderland - Amazing. I read it all in two days, 51 chapters in all (in the last arc now, freaking exciting!).

Negima - I'm at chapter ~100, and I must say I love it. Lots of humor, and even though the beginning was kinda boring (nearly no fighting and I thought it wasn't really about that), it has really picked up and is now in my head a martial arts manga :P

One Piece - Pure epicness. The drawing style, the expressions, the infinite humor, it just all adds up and becomes a chaos of awesomeness. I watched the anime for 532 episodes, and am following it, but since the manga had come further I figured I couldn't wait so I've read from 600 and still following. I love how they are very closely related, and still the clipping and some other elements are different, so you get a whole other feeling from the manga than the anime. Also, the music? Brilliant. It's probably the reazon I'm still watching, since I know what'll happen ;)

About others, I have a list of, let's see... 147 anime/manga series (!) that others have recommended and that I would like to watch. I started reading manga only 3 weeks ago, and anime 3 months ago; I haven't watched very much, but that doesn't make any of the ones I've watched any worse, eh?  8)
After what they did with Deadman Wonderland's anime adaption, I have nearly quit watching anime, although I will definitely finish Wolf's Rain (DW ended after only 12 episodes, where the 21st chapter ended (51+ in all), plus other changes D:).

Anime:
1. One Piece
2. Deathnote
3. Wolf's Rain (not finished)
4. Spice and Wolf - not much to say, love the drawing style and the story is really sweet.
5. Negima (manga is much better)

Manga:
1. One Piece
2. Deadman Wonderland
3. Negima
4. Fairy Tail (haven't read very much though)
5. Bleach (haven't read very much either)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:52:27 AM by Nightshine »

Offline Bardo Thompson

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2012, 04:43:54 AM »
Am a sucker for cyberpunk and dystopic stuff, and Japanese culture often delivers on the genre

Anime:
1. Serial Experiments Lain (or 500 mg of ocularly prescribed WTF)
2. Cowboy Bebop (an obvious choice)
3. Ghost in the shell (movie, tv show, all are awesome)
4. Ergo Proxy

Manga
1. Blame! (man on a mission going through a solar-system-sized city to find someone that can use the internet, fighting silicon creatures and horrifying IRL anti-virus agents brandishing knives, all with nothing but a wave motion pistol. Maybe on earth, maybe in the future, all badass. could possibly count as epic cyberpunk.)
2. Biomega (thousand years in the future, artificial manz on a motorcycle with Japanese Cortana teams up with talking Russian Bear with a hook for a hand to search for survivors of a zombie apocalypse from Space)
3. Knights of Sidonia (thousands of years in the future, earth gets destroyed by alien things called Gauna. Survivors get on Seed Ships and fight in Giant robots to prevent Gauna from destoying ships, ongoing)
4. Dorohedoro (Horror comedy about amnesiac guy in a dystopic fantasy land cursed to have a lizard's head and kills magic users in order to try and lift curse. friends with hot blond chick who is just as kickass, with the main antagonist's magic power being his ability to turn things into mushrooms.)
5. Eden: it's an endless world (described in TVtropes as Ghost in the shell turned up to Eleven, Shout-outs to half a dozen different philosophies, films, and music. Chronicles the life of the Ballard family, principally Elijah and his father Enoah. Multicultural, epic in scope, as tragic as it is beautiful)

I have read or seen all of the works I mentioned above and would vouch at the very least for their originality.
The world is a weird place, lets keep it that way.

Offline RobJHayes

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2012, 09:31:08 PM »
Maybe I've missed it but I can't believe nobody has mentioned Baccano or Durarara (at least the first half of the series, try to ignore the second half).

Also if you're still looking for suggestions a few other good ones I haven't seen mentioned:

Steins Gate (starts off very wtf but it all makes sense by the end)
Ga-Rei Zero
Bakemongatari (some of the strangest, and most beautiful art direction I've ever seen)
Bounen no Xamdou
Eureka Seven

I'll stop now. :)
Twitter: @RoboftheHayes

Offline Wizard Police

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2012, 03:26:18 AM »
One Piece to me is bar none the best manga ever (and if it weren't for fillers and all that, one of the best animes too). The world building and deep characters is almost akin to the top of the line fantasy books out there imo.

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
I could have sworn I'd commented in here before...

Anyway, despite my Japanese degree, I don't watch that much anime (I did it for the history side, not the pop-culture side).

I do love me some Trigun, Hetalia and One Piece though. Oh, and Excel Saga is a bit of a laugh riot.

I genuinely think the best thing I watch in Japan was dubbed House. So. Funny.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline hyptonize

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »
I've watched a few anime series a few years ago, such as Hajime no Ippo, Toradora!, Fullmetal Alchemist and I'm currently watching Monster. I've also tried some Manga, including 21th Century Boys and Monster, but both are hard to find and some chapters are incredibly expensive (Monster's volume 3 is nowhere to be found for less than 60 euros!). A few months ago, I read  'Hotel', a one-volume manga that I absolutely loved!