March 02, 2021, 02:24:18 PM

Author Topic: Thinking Witcher Thoughts (again)  (Read 318 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
Thinking Witcher Thoughts (again)
« on: January 20, 2021, 01:25:59 AM »
So I re-watched pieces of the Witcher during dinner tonight and I think I appreciate it a lot more on the second go.  I mean I wasn't watching straight through so it was easier to appreciate the individual scenes without noticing that the over-arching plot is a hot mess.

I actually especially appreciating how much I like the instrumentals, with that accordion-like sound and the sort of slavic-influenced violin.  (listening to the OST *without* the show was even more evocative for me, weirdly) It really makes me wonder what music should sound like in my WIP, since music plays a role in the story.

(I of course haaaated the vocals in the show tho. I think that's because they didn't just feel anachronistic, but they were a very pop-music, high-school-musical kind of sound that indexes a whole lot of stuff I find aesthetically repulsive, but apparently everyone else found it super catchy so it's really got me wondering why I'm such an odd man out...)

OMG I just realized: this could be a Ryan Murphy show.  The music is gross like Glee and scene and style are ranked way above any continuity or big-picture plotting.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 01:29:56 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline Neveesandeh

• Ambient Mage
Re: Thinking Witcher Thoughts (again)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 07:39:14 PM »
I need to give that show another watch. I think I liked the music but I can't quite remember.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
Re: Thinking Witcher Thoughts (again)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 05:54:34 AM »
I was procrastinating while taking a break to eat :)