February 24, 2020, 02:55:45 PM

Author Topic: The Witcher ( tv series)  (Read 1127 times)

Online isos81

Re: The Witcher ( tv series)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2020, 12:40:57 PM »
I've watched the first two episodes. It's okay. I like Geralt's episodic monster hunts so far and I think Yennifer is an interesting character, although her story isn't that engaging so far. The Ciri stuff is a bit of a drag though.

Feeling the same. Wish there were more of Geralt fights.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 11:31:51 PM »
So that twist at the end of episode four... Made me think about some things I really don't want to think about.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 08:03:44 PM »
It has been really popular!  I enjoyed it but did find my mind wandering a bit, and a bit of phone playing during some of the episodes.  Overall I think it is a win and glad to see fantasy on TV and people engaging with it.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 08:53:47 PM »
A lot of people are comparing it to Game of Thrones, but to feel it feels like it's harkening back to an older sort of fantasy. Hardly any modern works of fantasy take the idea of a chosen one or a prophecy seriously, but this... if you take a shot every time someone says 'destiny' the alcohol poisoning will kill you before you're halfway through.

Finished it tonight. I like it, overall. Not the most engaging thing I've seen but I reckon it will improve with later series.

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »
A lot of people are comparing it to Game of Thrones, but to feel it feels like it's harkening back to an older sort of fantasy. Hardly any modern works of fantasy take the idea of a chosen one or a prophecy seriously, but this... if you take a shot every time someone says 'destiny' the alcohol poisoning will kill you before you're halfway through.

Finished it tonight. I like it, overall. Not the most engaging thing I've seen but I reckon it will improve with later series.

I've been working through the series as audiobooks and def very old school which has been part of the appeal for me. My only issue is the ridiculous names for the monsters. I just want them to go by easily recognisable names: minotaur, kraken etc
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 08:34:54 AM »
I've been working through the series as audiobooks and def very old school which has been part of the appeal for me. My only issue is the ridiculous names for the monsters. I just want them to go by easily recognisable names: minotaur, kraken etc

There are other myths and folklores (and original ideas) than the classic Greek and biblical stuff. The Witcher was written by a Polish writer, and the monsters are all taken from Polish and Slavic folklore. I for one am glad to see people not using the same old tired tropes. If I never see another minotaur or kraken in my life, I'll be fine. They've been tragically overused.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 08:52:28 AM »
If I never see another minotaur or kraken in my life, I'll be fine.

I only ever see cats, dogs and humans when I go outside my home.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:54:48 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 09:12:05 AM »
Maybe I should move to where you live. Sure, it's never dull here on Olympus, but I could do without all the drama.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Online isos81

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »
If I never see another minotaur or kraken in my life, I'll be fine.

I only ever see cats, dogs and humans when I go outside my home.

It must be a very interesting and adventurous life :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 09:08:54 AM »

There are other myths and folklores (and original ideas) than the classic Greek and biblical stuff. The Witcher was written by a Polish writer, and the monsters are all taken from Polish and Slavic folklore. I for one am glad to see people not using the same old tired tropes. If I never see another minotaur or kraken in my life, I'll be fine. They've been tragically overused.

+1 on this. I'm pretty glad we got some exposures to monsters/ elements from other mythologies once in a while. All that Greek, Roman, Western Celtic, etc. stuffs are getting rather repetitive.

Maybe I should move to where you live. Sure, it's never dull here on Olympus, but I could do without all the drama.
;D

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 07:58:19 PM »
The monsters are cool enough - just the names are a bit eh and then they don't reappear so you just forget them.

Just finished Blood of Elves - which just sort of finishes. Very disconcerting.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Yora

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2020, 09:33:49 PM »
I got a question about the adaptation of the early story of Geralt and Ciri. From what I've read about the show, it does compress that part quite a lot.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Did Geralt and Ciri have any scenes together before he finds her on the farm in the final episode?

I The Sword of Destiny, he comes to Cintra when she is six or so, Calanthe tries to give him some orphan girl, but Geralt sees the deception and offers her to not take Ciri yet and let her grow up more with her family. (Is that in the show?)

Then later Ciri is lost in the dryad forest, Geralt rescues her, and brings her back to Cintra.

Finally Cintra is conquered, Calanthe killed, and Ciri goes missing. And then Geralt sees her on the farm completely at random. Or rather, in such an improbable coincidence that destiny is obvious at work.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline Rostum

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 12:06:54 PM »
The series does not follow the books in a linear fashon and there are changes be warned,

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2020, 05:44:26 PM »
Halfway through the series now. Played Wild Hunt, and red one of the books long enough ago that I've forgotten most of it.

Loving the style and cinematography, but the plotting is a little messy. Geralt is pitch perfect, and I could watch him spar with Jaskier and fight monsters all day. Yennefer probably has the best storyline going and I much prefer show version to game version. I'm not all that impressed with the Ciri parts, but that's largely because there haven't been many and not much has happened in them yet. Still, looking forward to the second half and glad it's been renewed.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex