February 28, 2020, 02:51:35 PM

Author Topic: The Witcher ( tv series)  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
The Witcher ( tv series)
« on: December 23, 2019, 07:53:34 AM »
I watched the first three episodes, not for me I got bored towards the end of episode 3 and I thought the acting was terrible. Mind you I DNF the book only Witcher book I read as well. There is a lot of pointless topless people wondering around for no reason male and female.

I know this means everyone else will love it !
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
Re: The Witcher ( tv series)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 08:23:54 AM »
It's quite bland. I agree that a lot of the acting is dull; Geralt in particular is portrayed like he was written by Stephanie Meyer. I have no idea what possibly could have made them think of Henry Cavill for the role. And yes, the nudity is gratuitous, particularly in the first episode.

I think it's quite impressive that the introductory cutscene from the first game (made in 2007) was a more spectacular portrayal of the fight with the striga than the one in the series.

It does manage to build the narrative up as it goes along, and some of the characters are better acted and portrayed than the others. I've watched half so far and I'll finish it, but I doubt I'll have changed my tune and be singing its praise by the end.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Online isos81

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 10:57:08 AM »
I only watched the first 5 minutes.

Geralt was fighting with a spider-like monster. They came up from the bottom of a river but then they started fighting in the river where the water level was up to Geralt's knee.

So, if the water is not deep, how could they come out of nowhere. If it is indeed deep, how could they fight while standing in the river...

That's all I gotta say for now :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 04:06:08 PM »
OK, look, I confess - I am actually really enjoying it. It has that slightly cheap early 80s sword-and-sorcery vibe (Red Sonja, Krull etc) which I am totally fine with and some of the dialogue is great and ... it just looks cool. I love Jaskier, the incredibly amazingly talentedly devlilishly-cheekbonededly humble bard, and his relationship with Geralt. Yes it's a little hard to follow and there's some seriously hokey CGI but ... I dunno, that adds to it. Queen Calanthe kicks arse.  Geralt's tropey one word answers are lampooned frequently. And it's all done with humour too. I only wish that they'd kept Yennifer's disfiguration, but I suppose that is canon. Loving it! :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:08:28 PM by bdcharles »
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline Skip

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 06:21:20 PM »
DNF first episode. It was too ham-handed, poor acting, poor directing. It's fine. I enjoyed Witcher 3 and I'll keep that version in the memory banks.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 05:21:51 AM »
So no worse than the book then. Admittedly I wondered if the translation was poor as I thought it was flat at the time of reading, maybe more suited to being a graphic novel. As Poles and Germans tend to like it but everyone reading in English  couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Online Yora

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 09:18:38 AM »
That's just how fantasy fans in central Europe roll.  ;)
I think everything that feels like it could be set down the street some centuries ago gets a big home advantage boost.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 06:10:49 PM »
I haven't watched it but now I'm not sure I will. Hopefully the Wheel of Time next year will be better!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 08:16:58 PM »
My first comment while watching the show was, "The production quality is pretty low."

My second comment was, "I really like the fight scenes."

My wife's first comment was, "If this were a spoof it might be funny. Instead, it's just sad."

I'll probably finish the series because it's giving me hope they'll move the plot along by the end of the season. Although, it is somewhat tiresome watching Geralt move from place to place interacting with characters that have nothing to do with the plot.

The wife won't be watching any more episodes.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »
I've just watched the first episode and I thought it was quite solid. Well, Henry Cavill as Geralt is quite stiff in the acting aspect, but I guess that is to be expected of the witcher. The fight scenes are pretty damn epic, though. 

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 12:06:31 PM »
I found the first two episodes pretty woeful, but after that it's gone up and up in quality and holding my interest.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 07:32:32 AM »
Alright, watched the second episode and my overall assessment of the show dropped somewhat. I'm still pretty darn grateful someone adapted the Witcher (or any epic/ traditional fantasy novels) into films/ series though. I'll be watching until the end and hopefully things get somewhat better.

The "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher" song is pretty catchy, though.  8)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:42:18 AM by S. K. Inkslinger »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 07:08:42 AM »
Alright. I'm on the third episode and... this is pretty bad. I really disliked the fact that they changed the race for many of the characters in the show, especially Triss Merigold, who was a pretty pivotal character in the games. The way they carried out the fight scenes with the striga and how they portrayed each characters thus far is also not that attractive to me. Will still watch until the end, though, since I've got nothing much to watch.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 06:55:32 AM »
I've finished the last episode of The Witcher. Things started to really pick up from around episode 4 or so, when the storylines started to finally gave some hints to their placement and coming together. The casting choices were solid for both Geralt and Yennefer, although I still think Triss was kind of miscasted. Overall it's a pretty good tv show, not great with some of its flaws, but overall still very enjoyable and quite a truthful adaptation of the source materials. I'll definitely be anticipating for when season 2 air.  8)

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
I've watched the first two episodes. It's okay. I like Geralt's episodic monster hunts so far and I think Yennifer is an interesting character, although her story isn't that engaging so far. The Ciri stuff is a bit of a drag though.