September 22, 2019, 11:57:29 PM

Author Topic: The Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: The Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 01:20:40 AM »
Stands to reason....the books went downhill after he married his editor.
How does that work? They were married in ‘81. They met via his writing, and she edited his work until he died.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 06:07:06 PM »
I believe they won't feature in just season 1. Not sure about whole series.

Either way, I'm ambivalent. Min has minimal role Book 1 and only features in supporting/side story lines for next couple of books. It's only in book 7 or 8 she becomes Rand's partner and sticks with him from then. I won't mind if they put her as a small recurring cast in earlier seasons.

Not featuring either misses out on a lot of the foreshadowing of just how messed up being the Dragon Reborn is going to make the world - and I'm not really sure how you'd introduce them later.

And Min's at Falme, she's at the Dragon's camp at the beginning of book 3 - not that side. I don't know whether they'll keep the Aes Sedai rebellion (I think they're missing something big if they do). But more to the point - she is important at Dumai's Wells, she's hugely important afterwards, and I don't know how they pull those storylines off without her there. I guess we'll see how it goes - its just rumour at this point - but as far as I'm concerned, Min's arguably the most important character who isn't introduced in Emond's Field. Rand's arc of suffering and redemption revolves around her.
Yep. Culminating in that really strong scene with Semirhage...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Bender

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2019, 12:45:45 AM »
Season 1 is set up to have Moiraine as main character. So it stands to reason they will cover Book 1 in full. It'd feature Moiraine, the protagonist trio, Egwene and Nynaeve prominently. Not sure on the rest. Perhaps they'll introduce Min and Elayne in next season....
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Peat

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2019, 12:53:34 AM »
Season 1 is set up to have Moiraine as main character. So it stands to reason they will cover Book 1 in full. It'd feature Moiraine, the protagonist trio, Egwene and Nynaeve prominently. Not sure on the rest. Perhaps they'll introduce Min and Elayne in next season....

Omitting Min and Elayne's entrances as in the book only to shoehorn them in later out of their natural place might be the only thing dumber than omitting them altogether. The only logical reason I can see to do it is they don't want to case actresses to appear for one episode in S1 only to discover they're not free for when they need them day in day out down the line, and I've no idea how real a worry that'd be.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2019, 05:57:24 AM »
Sounds like because Pike is the name in the cast they want to focus on her character. It’s such an ensemble effort, though. It sounds like a mistake to do that. Saw Natalie Dormer is playing Siuan, but not until Season 2.

Online cupiscent

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »
Saw Natalie Dormer is playing Siuan, but not until Season 2.
OMG, yes, I love it.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2019, 06:51:15 AM »
OMG, yes, I love it.
I can’t see her now without thinking of Nat Bochenski’s recaps of GoT where she kept referring to her as Kate Middleton.

Online cupiscent

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
OMG, yes, I love it.
I can’t see her now without thinking of Nat Bochenski’s recaps of GoT where she kept referring to her as Kate Middleton.
I love Natalie Dormer's smirky pointy face, and I'm so excited to see her in a role that isn't about being a vixen, but also, that's hilarious. :D

Online cupiscent

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2019, 04:19:56 AM »
Catching up on my Tor.com reading this morning, I noticed that they've got some interesting pieces on it up (unsurprisingly). There's a long and thoughtful look at assumption of whiteness in fantasy fiction (From the Two Rivers: casting and race in the Wheel of Time) that also notes that actual text from books suggests that Two-Rivers folk are not pale (and specifically that Rand is too pale to be one). But I found myself more taken with Leigh Butler's thoughts, which noted that:
if indeed Randland was the Third Age post-apocalyptic agrarian remnant of an extremely cosmopolitan and advanced Second Age (which it was), there was absolutely no reason to think that cities like Manetheren (the Two Rivers’ ancestral forebear) wouldn’t be just as culturally and ethnically diverse as London or New York or Dubai or any major city in the world today, and that this diversity would perforce be passed down to their descendants, no matter how isolated from the rest of the world they ended up becoming.
So actually maybe the problem is that the Mat casting is too pale. Anyway, Butler also digs some into the acting chops of the castlist and has some interesting things to say.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2019, 08:00:11 AM »
Catching up on my Tor.com reading this morning, I noticed that they've got some interesting pieces on it up (unsurprisingly). There's a long and thoughtful look at assumption of whiteness in fantasy fiction (From the Two Rivers: casting and race in the Wheel of Time) that also notes that actual text from books suggests that Two-Rivers folk are not pale (and specifically that Rand is too pale to be one). But I found myself more taken with Leigh Butler's thoughts, which noted that:
if indeed Randland was the Third Age post-apocalyptic agrarian remnant of an extremely cosmopolitan and advanced Second Age (which it was), there was absolutely no reason to think that cities like Manetheren (the Two Rivers’ ancestral forebear) wouldn’t be just as culturally and ethnically diverse as London or New York or Dubai or any major city in the world today, and that this diversity would perforce be passed down to their descendants, no matter how isolated from the rest of the world they ended up becoming.
So actually maybe the problem is that the Mat casting is too pale. Anyway, Butler also digs some into the acting chops of the castlist and has some interesting things to say.
I was interested in the comment that suggested that Moiraine being from Cairhien should have been cast as Asian. In my head I always saw Suian as Asian (even though I’m sure she’s no described that way). Lan could be cast as Asian, though.

Offline Peat

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2019, 09:42:43 AM »
When you're fair haired and pale skinned, you look too pale to fit into half the Caucasian world as well as everyone else. That Elaida quote could mean anything.

Still, it's possible that they should have gone with Mat being a fairly light skinned black person, and made the homogenity that way - and to me, it was pretty clear that whatever their origins, the Two Rivers folk now look homogenous. Part of me thinks they should have done. Part of me thinks them casting on a pretty loose interpretation of "having the look" and looking for personality is a better call. Say it just doesn't matter all that much. It shouldn't.

And based on the loose version of the Randland map to real world ethnicity I had, Moraine should look like a pale Frenchwoman, and Siuan should be Latina, and Lan should be... generically brown? Most of the borderlands seemed to be some variety of Asian. But then Jordan didn't always map inspirations to ethnicity, so I could be wrong.

Offline Peat

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2019, 07:00:06 PM »
Anyway, that aside - are there any casting decisions people are especially looking forwards to, or that they think could make or break the show?

Something I'm kinda musing on is that a great antagonist is often a key part of what makes a show really catch hold of its audience's imagination and, well, who's the main antagonist of the first three books? It feels to me like there's not really one (and naming the two that are is kinda a minor spoiler so I won't).

Offline Bender

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2019, 07:33:56 PM »
I don't think ethnic diversity is implied. For example New York can be considered diverse, but within it has areas of concentration by various ethnicity. I can think of re reasons that Two Rivers should or not be more diverse.

Going by naming conventions, only Shinear (Togita) and Kandor (Noramaga) can be considered superficially Japanese sounding to my ears. Paitar and Davram are more generic.

For Mat, I recall him being tall and termed 'too pretty' in a couple of places by Tylin and then Tuon. Though he's a excellent fighter, I expected someone a bit tougher than the cast. Still a minor gripe. To the eye of the imaginer, I'd say.

Offline Bender

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2019, 07:37:57 PM »
Anyway, that aside - are there any casting decisions people are especially looking forwards to, or that they think could make or break the show?

Not make or break, but I'm looking forward to Lan and Thom casting. Gerard Butler and Sam Elliot would be my choices.

Offline Bender

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2019, 10:47:14 PM »
Sanderson comment on casting and deviations from books

https://dragonmount.com/news/tv-show/brandontvchangesresponse/

Interesting and does make sense.