August 25, 2019, 04:54:33 PM

Author Topic: The Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime  (Read 693 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
The Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime
« on: August 15, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
It's not exactly news, but they revealed the casts for some of the main characters yesterday!

-> https://www.tor.com/2019/08/14/wheel-of-time-casting-announcement/

Rand Al'Thor (Josha Stradowski)

Mat Cauthon (Barney Harris)

Perrin Aybara (Marcus Rutherford)

Nynaeve Al'Meara (Zoë Robins)

Egwene Al'Vere (Madeleine Madden)

Moiraine Sedai (Rosamund Pike)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline isos81

Re: The Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »
They all look appropriate. When is it going to air?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »
I've never read the books so can't comment on the appropriateness of the actors, just... they all look so young!!! And super polished!!! :o

(I love Rosamund Pike ;D)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 10:18:58 PM »
What’s the budget for the bath , I hope there don’t cut the bath scene.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Bender

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 11:40:34 PM »
Not a fan of Perrin character. Think he needs more prominent eyes.

Rand and Nynaeve are awesome casting. Mat so so. I'd prefer somebody more 'fun' but let's see how he looks in cast .
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Peat

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 02:13:00 AM »
Gotta say... I'm a little nonplussed that for the inhabitants of one of the most backwoods, isolated, ethnically homogenous to the point of several plot points, white as hell places in fantasy, they went with a racially diverse cast. Like... I dunno what to think really, but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

Also Perrin is nowhere near hench enough.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline isos81

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:24:36 AM »
Not a fan of Perrin character. Think he needs more prominent eyes.

Rand and Nynaeve are awesome casting. Mat so so. I'd prefer somebody more 'fun' but let's see how he looks in cast .

Agreed!
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 04:16:31 AM »
I'm liking the look of this, though a lot's going to depend on costume design. I haven't seen any of the actors in anything before, except Rosamund Pike. (She's going to kill it, I'm looking forward to her Moiraine.) And they are supposed to be young, after all. :) They're still teenagers, aren't they? Except Nynaeve, and she's always going on about not being taken seriously as a Wisdom because she's so young.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 06:47:45 AM »
I'm liking the look of this, though a lot's going to depend on costume design. I haven't seen any of the actors in anything before, except Rosamund Pike. (She's going to kill it, I'm looking forward to her Moiraine.) And they are supposed to be young, after all. :) They're still teenagers, aren't they? Except Nynaeve, and she's always going on about not being taken seriously as a Wisdom because she's so young.
Egwene’s an Aussie. She was in Picnic at Hanging Rock. She’s also the granddaughter of Charles Perkins. People have said how young they look, but I always got the impression that aside from Nynaeve, they were all about 16.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 08:46:36 AM »
I haven't read the series either (despite having some volumes stacks at home) so I couldn't comment on the cast but definitely looking forward to this. An epic fantasy series turned series is always a welcome thing, especially if the budgets and directors etc. are all right. With the Wheel of Time I have only heard about the infamous bathing and braid-tugging scenes, though.  ;D

At least Rosamund Pike is in it, from what I've seen she's quite a great actress I think.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
I won't be able to watch it anyway, being Amazon prime and all (I don't have any special TV subscriptions apart from sky)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 11:46:33 AM »
Egwene’s an Aussie. She was in Picnic at Hanging Rock. She’s also the granddaughter of Charles Perkins.
And, apparently, in the TV series of Tomorrow When The War Began, which my husband has watched, but I haven't. It was only when I came back to show the casting to said husband that I realised that she was Aboriginal Australian. Fantastic.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 11:46:44 AM »
I won't be able to watch it anyway, being Amazon prime and all (I don't have any special TV subscriptions apart from sky)

Get your sister to get amazon prime for the children tv series and you can borrow the password back at home.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline isos81

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 02:42:16 PM »

Get your sister to get amazon prime for the children tv series and you can borrow the password back at home.

Clever ;D

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 06:22:38 PM »
Gotta say... I'm a little nonplussed that for the inhabitants of one of the most backwoods, isolated, ethnically homogenous to the point of several plot points, white as hell places in fantasy, they went with a racially diverse cast. Like... I dunno what to think really, but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting.
I saw a picture with them all together where the skin colour was quite similar (besides Rand, ofc). It's not really comparable with the solo pics because lighting makes a huge difference.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)