November 18, 2018, 06:44:51 PM

Author Topic: The Watch - new Discworld show goes into production!  (Read 268 times)

Offline OnlyOneHighlander

The Watch - new Discworld show goes into production!
« on: November 01, 2018, 09:25:51 AM »
Exciting times for all citizens of the Big Wahoonie - BBC America has finally put the long awaited City Watch TV show into production!

http://narrativia.com/watch.html

From the press release:

"The Watch is a punk rock thriller inspired by the legendary ‘City Watch’ subset of “Discworld” novels. This disruptive, character-driven thriller centers on Terry Pratchett’s misfit cops as they fight to save a ramshackle city of normalized wrongness, from both the past and future in a perilous quest. Modern and inclusive, The Watch features many famous “Discworld” creations including City Watch Captain Sam Vimes, the last scion of nobility Lady Sybil Ramkin, the naïve but heroic Carrot, the mysterious Angua and the ingenious non-binary forensics expert Cheery together with Terry Pratchett’s iconic characterization of Death."

Sounds good to me.

“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The Watch - new Discworld show goes into production!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 09:28:29 AM »
Ooooh!
It might be time for me to read that subset, then - I haven't read any Watch books yet.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:00:15 AM »
They lost me at punk rock.  :P
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
Ooooh!
It might be time for me to read that subset, then - I haven't read any Watch books yet.

You're in for a treat. They are my favourite. I can't wait to see Sergeant Detritus in the flesh... or in the stone I suppose  ;D
“Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!” Neil Gaiman

Check out my book Here Be Dragons here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Here-Be-Dragons-David-Macpherson-ebook/dp/B07CCGBDQW/ref=sr_1_3?s

Offline Dark Squiggle

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 12:22:27 AM »
Will it be animated? If so, 2D or 3D?

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 10:08:53 PM »
It's going to be live action. So let the 'who will play Vimes?' speculation commence!

Offline ryanmcgowan

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 07:03:32 AM »
For me ‘the watch’ was always synonymous with the old London style of policing, I do fancy a gritty British Vimes.  Stephen Dillane (Played Stannis Beratheon - Game of thrones) is too perfect for this role!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:14:52 AM by ryanmcgowan »
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 08:47:03 PM »
For me ‘the watch’ was always synonymous with the old London style of policing, I do fancy a gritty British Vimes.  Stephen Dillane (Played Stannis Beratheon - Game of thrones) is too perfect for this role!

Great suggestion! I could see that.

Recently I thought Mark Bonnar could be good as a leaner Vimes. He's good at being both light and dark.

Or there's always Jason Isaacs.

Offline ryanmcgowan

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 11:19:14 PM »
I could totally see Jason Isaacs doing a good turn as Vimes actually!

For me though it’s all gonna be made or lost on which ‘recently disqualified from the human race’ person plays corporal Nobby Nobbs
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.