March 21, 2019, 08:03:37 AM

Author Topic: The Terror - Dan Simmons / Ridley Scott  (Read 717 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
The Terror - Dan Simmons / Ridley Scott
« on: March 30, 2018, 08:40:25 PM »
It's here! It's been here a few days now, and I've watched both episodes that have aired so far. So, I can say it loudly:

IT FUCK'N ROCKS!!!

Here's the trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l328p5sSEmc

Here's the deliciously creepy intro (that I put online myself the night the first episode aired, and so it sucks, soz): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvHqadA3KNU

What you need to know:

Ridley Scott is adapting for AMC (that used to be good, you remember, when the Walking Dead started?) the classic horror novel The Terror by Dan Simmons. It follows the crews of HMS Terror and HMS Erebus as they attempt the crossing of the North-West passage. It is an historical event, and we know every last crew that was on the boats. None survived that we know of, and some dead were found, along with artifacts. Thanks to underwater robots we've found the sunken ruins of both ships.
Dan Simmons took that story, these real people, stranded for years on the ice with rotting cans of food and scurvy culling their ranks, and added a monster stalking them and killing them off one after another (but not nearly as many as scurvy did...)

To me the book was a masterpiece. It is slow, and written in a style so faithful to the 19th century book I love as to be confounding. When the situation becomes dire for the characters, I was so entrenched in that universe, it did give me nightmares. But the ending came, and man-o-man is it a satisfying one. Endings, to me, are the most dreaded thing in horror books. I think the best two horror-ish books I've read, ending-wise are The Terror and Red Dragon.
Terror just gives you a deep understanding of the monster, and totally transcends the beast-horror genre in doing so, wrapping many threads into a conclusion that took me off my feet.

Two episodes in, and the tv series is excellent. All the actors are great, the set is perfect, and the few changes they've made so far mostly regard time-line, and the addition of Crozier speaking enough Inuit to communicate with Lady Silence, so named because in the book she is introduced from the start as a tongue-less inuk (she'll become mute soon enough, I can tell). The way this is played out though is much chillier though, and everything is wrapping up to be excellent.
The only thing I'm worried about then, is the ending. I hope they don't change it. I'm dreading this because of the intro in the pilot, that hints of potential differences. But hell, it looks like it'll be a hell of a good series anyway.

As someone very shy of gore and jumpscares, I can tell the skittish viewer that 2 episodes in there is nothing scary. It's only unsettling and creepy.

For the curious on the real life elements :

Two of the crew were buried before the ships went to disappear in the north-west passage mess. Both tombs were dug up and we found perfectly preserved mummies of both men kept in ice like woolly mammoths old almost 200 years. Looking them up is interesting but very creepy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:48:18 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: The Terror - Dan Simmons / Ridley Scott
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 09:50:39 PM »
I've 'bookmarked' it, thanks :D

Apparently it starts end of April in normal TV.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 12:07:49 AM »
Explorers of the period also suffered from lead and mercury poisoning due to the state of canning in that time. Both those toxins erode the mind and reduce reason, memory, and higher faculties - the sorts of things required to make complex decisions, navigate, etc., etc. I read an account of a contemporary U.S. Army overland expedition in the arctic that involved the shooting of several soldiers for stealing food. Tough stuff.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
I struggled through the recorded book for much of it, and then the end... blew me away, and made everything worth it.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »
I struggled through the recorded book for much of it, and then the end... blew me away, and made everything worth it.

I wonder if that contributed? I listened to the start of the audiobook on youtube to see, and I find it thick and impossible to stay paying attention to it. I felt the book had beautiful prose though, so I wonder if that can play a little part?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »

I wonder if that contributed? I listened to the start of the audiobook on youtube to see, and I find it thick and impossible to stay paying attention to it. I felt the book had beautiful prose though, so I wonder if that can play a little part?

It may have been a matter of expectation, too. I love Dickens, Melville, Austen. Give me 19th century prose any day. But I think I wasn’t expecting it when I started, and listening was both easy and dense. Plus, the book is... unrelenting.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 11:54:20 PM »
All 10 episodes are out. Currently watching the 7th and it is still brilliant despite all the deviations taken (not many, overall). Even as the series starts accumulating differences and going its own side-way, it is chilling and oppressive, pure gold tv so far.