March 29, 2020, 09:25:55 AM

Author Topic: The Rise of Skywalker  (Read 540 times)

Offline Peat

The Rise of Skywalker
« on: December 27, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »
Surprised there's not a thread for this already. Anybody else seen it? Saw it yesterday and thought it's the best of the series I've seen since the original trilogy (bar Rogue One).
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bender

Re: The Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 04:51:57 PM »
The only good SW media outside of the original trilogy were the animated series, Clone Wars and Rebels. Everything else was crap. I'll wait till this comes to Disney or Netflix.

And the Mandalorian is awesome till now ofc!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 11:28:27 PM »
Saw it a couple of days ago. I'm still turning it over, but mostly I'm disappointed. Like, it was fun, it was nicely put together, it offered lots of resolution... but I feel like it made all the most boring story choices, really squandered a lot of potential, and defaulted to already-covered Star Wars ground way more often than it should have.

I mean...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Rey, I am your grandfather. Really? REALLY?? Why? Why was that even slightly necessary? It served no plot or character purpose whatsoever. Don't even get me started on inherited Force-lightning. What nonsense.

Then again, from Disney and with Abrams at the helm, predictable blockbuster choices was really all I was expecting.

I did laugh myself silly right there in the theater over the blatant torpedo fired into the heart of the fandom's (strangely) most popular fanfic pairing (Kylo Ren / Hux)--partly because it deserves to be torpedo'd, partly because it was so blatant, partly because it was also thoroughly supported by characterisation throughout this trilogy.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 12:41:44 AM »
I like I’d it as an ending, it tied everything neatly together, while it was enjoyable, it did have a paint by the numbers feel about it. The original Star Wars, later renamed to A New Hope, was one of those lightning in a bottle things for me. It was brilliant and those factors just never came together again.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 08:20:37 PM »
I enjoyed it and thought it repaired much of the damage done by episode VIII.

Offline Neveesandeh

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 03:50:13 PM »
I haven't seen it and I probably never will. I know what happens and it just seems too stupid to take seriously. It might end up as a decent action-adventure flick, and the cinematography looks really good, but there's no it matches up to the earlier two films, and even then, those aren't exactly my favourite films of all time.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 11:16:55 PM »
I agree that expectations were low for anything like the first trilogy, and so many easy decisions were made. I enjoyed it a bunch, just because it was fun and another chance to be in that world.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 08:33:57 PM »
I watched it today, it was fun.
I think in the beginning I was getting slightly annoyed at all the inconsistencies/worldbuilding decisions, but once I decided to park my logical mind, it got better ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 11:26:10 PM »
I watched it today, it was fun.
I think in the beginning I was getting slightly annoyed at all the inconsistencies/worldbuilding decisions, but once I decided to park my logical mind, it got better ;D

Definitely a lot of logic parking required.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com