September 30, 2020, 09:18:08 AM

Author Topic: The Old Guard (2020 Netflix)  (Read 313 times)

Offline Bender

The Old Guard (2020 Netflix)
« on: July 13, 2020, 10:15:07 PM »
Charlize Theron plas Andromache of Scythia and leads a squad of immortals who do good under the radar. A evil medical CEO wants their DNA for "good of world".

Entertaining popcorn flix. 7/10
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline David A. Werling

Re: The Old Guard (2020 Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 02:28:33 AM »
This movie should have been better than it was. The hook is overdone, but compelling. However, I think the characters were cliche and the story too cookie cutter. No surprises, no twists, just linear point A to point B. It was way too predictable to be anything other than a two hour distraction.

6/10.

It was going to be a 5/10, but... Charlize Theron!
“Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted.”

Dragon Slayer's Kingdom, available in ebook or paperback

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »
I thought it was decent enough. Good performances in a slightly lackluster script. I was more interested in their backstories and interpersonal relationships than in the fairly humdrum plot.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Online S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 05:32:20 AM »
I really liked how there is an actual backstory for each of the characters and their intertwining relationships. 7.5/10. I'm definitely hoping for a sequel at this point.