July 13, 2020, 10:04:42 PM

Author Topic: The Last Jedi!  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
The Last Jedi!
« on: April 15, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
OMG, people, the first teaser trailer is there!!

Just look at it:

[youtube]BRWCbhT7JLY[/youtube]
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: The Last Jedi!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
I am in fact going to try very hard NOT to look at it, nor to see interviews or read up on speculation. Any work of fiction is best experienced when it can surprise you.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »
I am in fact going to try very hard NOT to look at it, nor to see interviews or read up on speculation. Any work of fiction is best experienced when it can surprise you.
So you'll do your best to avoid this thread from now on?? Aaawww!!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 02:21:38 PM »
I've seen it! Some questions that have been bugging me:

1. Seeing as how The Force Awakens is rather like A New Hope in terms of plotline, will The Last Jedi be similar to The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi?
2. What happened to Finn? Did Kylo Ren's blow with the light saber put him into a state of paralysis/ coma?  :o

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
I will avoid all spoilers, but not the trailers. And this one is so much fun.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 02:45:32 PM »
I will avoid all spoilers, but not the trailers. And this one is so much fun.

The trailer for The Dark Knight is a good example of why I don't watch trailers anymore: It spoiled that the truck chase scene would end with it flipping over, that Batman would swerve around the Joker rather than run him over, that the Joker would be captured at some point before the climax, that Harvey Dent would end up face-down in gasoline, that the Joker would crash Harvey's party, etc.

So my thoughts during all of those scenes were always "Ah, we're leading into THAT thing."
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 02:56:41 PM »
The advantage of no sight for The Dark Knight trailer. I missed all of that, and didn't get many clues from the dialogue, but I learned what the movie was about.

The Disadvantage of No Sight: Now we get trailers like these. Thirty seconds of music, a couple of lines of dialogue. Thirty more seconds of music, some dramatic line. Thirty more seconds of epic music, another dramatic line. And the final thirty seconds of music.

So, my first thought when seeing this trailer? Cheesy! Mainly because, "It's time for the Jedi, to end." yeah, okay. "What do you see?" "Light. Darkness. The balance." Oooooooh. Alright then.

The first trailers for movies never impress me for this exact reason. When Trailer 2 comes out, I will be happy.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 03:41:49 PM »
I just hope he means the Jedi need to end because they need to become grey and stop with the silly b&w nonsense. When Ray says she sees the light, the drakness and the balance, he says "it's so much bigger" and I hope that's meant to be followed by "than that" : He would have discovered how to get past it all. That would quite fit the "dark luke" we saw in episode 6.

I've seen it! Some questions that have been bugging me:

1. Seeing as how The Force Awakens is rather like A New Hope in terms of plotline, will The Last Jedi be similar to The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi?
2. What happened to Finn? Did Kylo Ren's blow with the light saber put him into a state of paralysis/ coma?  :o

1. How about finally going for a unique, non-recycled plot?
2. I think they're showing us his coma bubble yeah, but from what I've seen of the movie being made so far, he's meant to be in it, so I assume they're "teasing" us.

>Carrie Fisher will be in it too, which is going to be a bit of an emotional bummer. Last movie to see her in.

AND IT'S NOT COMING OUT UNTIL FREAKING DECEMBER!!!!

Online Nighteyes

• DON'T send me Leopard Erotica!
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 04:16:33 PM »
So many freaking potentially amazing movies this year. Thor trailer comes out. Damn. Got till wait to November. Then The Last of the Jedi trailer. Damn. Got to wait till December. But then I remember Galaxy of the Guardians Vol 2 out in two weeks. Woo hoo!

I heard Billy Dee Williams is in this and we meet Bobba Fett resurected and visit Cloud City.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
Not excited about Thor, but many movies seem amazing this year for sure : The Ticket, Blade Runner 2049, Spiderman looks ok, DUNKIRK I am so excited for Dunkirk!!, Kingsman 2 (hyped too)... And then of course Guardians two looks ok, and Star wars shall be the crown jewel!!

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »
Oh my gosh! I didn't know Guardians comes out in two weeks! Now I'm super excited! And I keep forgetting about Kingsmen 2. Still waiting on the trailer, but if it's anything like the first one, it's worth it.