May 24, 2017, 04:39:31 PM

Author Topic: The Expanse: Game of Thrones in Space?  (Read 3906 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: The Expanse: Game of Thrones in Space?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »
So I watched the two hour season finale last night. Anticipated most of it, but not always in the way I expected. Overall, I'm both intrigued and a bit disappointed. Did the first book end on this much of a cliffhanger? It felt like a mid-season finale, rather than a season finale, so now I'm curious if the book takes the story further and they're splitting it across two seasons.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Predictions That Came True (Sorta):
- Miller's partner died (boo!) as I expected he would. As much as I like Amos, his only solution to any problem seems to be killing people, which is amusing if a bit one-note. When Semi insisted they leave the station immediately and Amos faked him out by agreeing, it seems like Amos could have choked Semi out Jack Bauer style, or knocked him out and tied him up, or tried something else non-lethal. Going right to "shoot him in the back of the head" seems extreme, but I guess once Semi pointed a gun at Naomi, he was dead. Miller and Amos will have problems next season. At least Amos is consistent!
- I was correct that the contagion/biohazard (so it's a bioweapon now?) would get out onto the station, but I expected it to be natural chaos, not intentional injection by corporate assholes. I did *not* expect the Expanse to just retread Resident Evil with their plot (which is somewhat disappointing) but at least now I know that the Umbrella Corporation has survived all the way into the future, and they are still experimenting with the T-Virus. :) If they guest cast Milla Jovovich, that would make the circle complete.

Revelations I Did Not Expect!
- I was kind of disappointed to learn that the people behind the stealth ships/war-instigating were just a bunch of random military/industrial complex assholes from Earth, led by the smarmy looking guy (Errinwright) who runs the UN. Hopefully, in the next season, they'll do a better job of explaining that group's motivations for killing thousands in horrific experiments and instigating a massive war. The only motivation that jumps out at me right now is "war is good for defense contracts/money" which, while perhaps somewhat realistic, I find far more dull than all of the other ideas the show inspired. It feels a bit cliche.
- Been waffling on whether Naomi is OPA the whole season. Glad she confirmed it. The fact that she'd just admit it (as well as many other character actions while the Umbrella Corporation was busy injecting the T-Virus in everyone) showed that the characters were literally too scared of dying horribly to give a sh*t at the moment, which felt believable.
- Miller grew up in a pachinko parlor! Explains alot, honestly.
- After Holden and Miller got zapped with the super burst of radiation, I honestly wondered if they were both going to go out in a blaze of glory, leaving the rest of the cast to carry on next season. I'm okay with the fact that they survived (both characters are interesting) but I would honestly (narratively) have preferred they died, as I think both of their story arcs had come to a reasonable conclusion and it would have definitely bucked the status quo. I imagine casual viewers would have been annoyed if the people set up as the "main heroes" just up and died, however, so I can't fault the writers for going the conventional route.

Final Thoughts / Questions for Next Season
- I'm obviously missing alot of motivation and backstory, so after I read the book, I might have a better understanding for what was missing from the show. I still think the Fred Johnson scene was poorly shot and it still makes no sense to me that he left his bridge to go on an EVA after blowing up refugee station, but I've resigned myself to the fact that his backstory really is that odd/boring.
- I guess the black/blue goo is some sort of nano-goo bioweapon created by the Umbrella Corporation, and it's evolving? And they want it to evolve into ... something? The scene at the end of the finale where the cybernetic spy got grabbed and absorbed was cool, but again, it really confuses me in regards to motivation. Umbrella Corporation wants to create a living entity of black/blue goo that grabs and absorbs humans for food? Why? What are they hoping to accomplish? Is Julie Mao's dad insane?
- Despite all my crits about cliche motivations, unexplained motivations, and plot holes, I did enjoy the season quite a bit. I look forward to reading the book to see if it fills in any of the gaps.

EDIT: Did I miss the names up again? I think I did. I don't know what it is about this show, but I have never had this much of a problem keeping all the character names straight. I knew who everyone on BSG was in a couple of episodes. Weird.

EDIT2: Had to go over to Wikipedia to get the names of the minor characters, since their names continue to refuse to stick in my mind. Corrected my thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:17:58 PM by tebakutis »
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Book 1: Glyphbinder
Book 2: Demonkin
Book 3: Bloodmender

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 06:42:10 PM »
Haven't watched the two-part end yet, but based on your notes:

Spoiler for Hiden:
sounds like mid-season cliffhanger
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 08:11:59 PM »
Haven't watched the two-part end yet, but based on your notes:

Spoiler for Hiden:
sounds like mid-season cliffhanger

The finale of this season takes us to half-way through the first of the book "the Leviathan Wakes", but it *is* the end of this season.  SciFi has commissioned 13 episodes for next season tho!

I'm glad they're taking it slow-- the show deserves it!  And it gives them plenty of material so that at this pace they'll have enough for 18 seasons b4 the book series is over.  I'm loving this show!!!!!

Offline Jonny_Anonymous

• Builder
  • Bring Us The Girl And Wipe Away The Debt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »
The reason Fred Johnson gets out and watches the station be destroyed is that he's so filled with sorrow that he was ordered and agreed to do this thing the least he could do was personally witness it. These people deserved better than just being blips on the screen.
“There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived.”

? Anomander Rake

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 08:36:12 PM »
Syfy have signed a deal with Amazon Prime to air S1 of The Expanse starting in December, with S2 early in 2017.
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 01:50:18 PM »
So I'm thinking of giving this a go now that its on Prime and before S2 comes out.  My main question is if I should read the books before getting into it or will I be fine to go in dark?

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 02:08:03 PM »
So I'm thinking of giving this a go now that its on Prime and before S2 comes out.  My main question is if I should read the books before getting into it or will I be fine to go in dark?

Hard to say. I read the books and am glad I did.
But for all its faults, I think the show stands up pretty well.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Hedin

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
Did the first season pretty much follow the first book or did it get into the second one?

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »
Did the first season pretty much follow the first book or did it get into the second one?

For my part, I had never read the books (still haven't!) but enjoyed the TV show. I joke about the fact that it absolutely repeats some plot points I've seen in other media, but I still enjoyed the show overall. It's good sci-fi. So I don't think the books are required reading. I'll definitely be watching the second season.

A friend who *has* read the books told me the show actually doesn't get through the entire first book, but stops about 2/3s through.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »
OMG is there an Expanse Season 2 thread out there somewhere???  I just caught up!
Spoiler for Hiden:
I was watching along as the episodes came out but then i got irritated half-way through-- but boy am I glad I picked it back up.

* That evil pediatrician is just... *evil*
* I think Amos def had that brain thing done to him to lose his ability to know right and wrong
* Errinwright (I thought it was Aaron Wright all this time) is also sooooooo good at being evil.  How the hell did Chisjen not skewer him when she had the chance???
* Mao is just... also *evil* they have so many great evil characters!!!
* The Martian Embassy has to have the shittest security of any Embassy in history
* Holden gets pretty damn full of himself and annoying-- is he that irritatingly smug in the books?
* I have a huge crush on Drummer
* Dawes is also infuriatingly... infuriating and it will be very satisfying when/if they off that bastard
* The mutated children in those giant bags and the refugees restraining themselves so their children could get off Ganymede seriously got me teared up this time
* The refugees getting spaced scene wasn't easy either

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:33:59 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 03:43:28 PM »
OMG is there an Expanse Season 2 thread out there somewhere???  I just caught up!

Yup, same! I binged the whole season a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I liked Season 1, but it still felt derivative of a lot of other stuff, and not in a way that grabbed me. Season 2 definitely upped the ante though, and I was surprised just how much I enjoyed it. Maybe it was knowing the characters better, maybe it was a few interesting twists, or maybe it was just because they got to a more interesting part of the part, but I *really* dug season 2 (which honestly seemed like season 2 and the start of season 3, given the midseason events). I am absolutely team The Expansenow, and look forward to season 3.

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 05:59:49 PM »
Add another who didn't know S2 had dropped.
Goody!  ;D

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »
I really enjoyed Season 1
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Elderling
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
Well, crap. I can;t get earlier than ep. 5 of season 2 without paying for the season at $29.99.
Not happening.  >:(

Offline Rostum

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »
Imma happy for y'all and everything but not on netflix UK yet

Tags: