June 06, 2020, 12:06:39 AM

Author Topic: The Dark Tower movies  (Read 9574 times)

Offline Shamrock

The Dark Tower movies
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:41:11 AM »
So who is actually looking forward to The Dark Tower series being adapted to screen? And it looks as though Javier Bardem is taking the role of Roland Deschain. Ron Howard is directing, which I suppose is okay. I just hope he does a good job. I enjoyed his adaptation of Angels and Demons so hopefully this will be good too. Akiva Goldsman is writing the script with Stephen King, so hopefully they'll be able to make what is such an amazing story really come to life on screen.

My only issue with Javier Bardem is his accent, it is said specifically in the book he does not have a Spanish accent as the people of Calla and Mejis have.

So what do you guys think? I'm looking forward to it, but I have my reservations.
Books are the blessed chloroform of the mind

Offline Overlord

Re: The Dark Tower movies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:48:52 AM »
I've never read the dark tower books - are they worth reading? Whenever I've heard people discuss them there seems to be a huge contrast in opinions, lol.

I think it's kind of a good thing though because Fantasy seems to be lacking in films lately... I guess people are scared to release a film that will inevitably be compared to Lord of the Rings... it would be hard to compare I guess.
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline HotdogMcGoo

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:16:34 PM »
I think the movie(s) have the potential to be alright.  What I'm concerned about is the TV series that will be on network TV.  The books are pretty graphic and the entire series has an undercurrent of horror to it that I'm afraid won't work out too well in the TV show.

I also was really hoping for someone else to play Roland - my personal top picks would have been Viggo Mortenson or Hugh Jackman. 

They are definitely worth reading, although the writing quality goes downhill pretty quickly after book 4 in my opinion.  Book 4, Wizard and Glass, is one of my favorite books though.

Offline Shamrock

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:57:08 PM »
I've never read the dark tower books - are they worth reading? Whenever I've heard people discuss them there seems to be a huge contrast in opinions, lol.

I think it's kind of a good thing though because Fantasy seems to be lacking in films lately... I guess people are scared to release a film that will inevitably be compared to Lord of the Rings... it would be hard to compare I guess.
I'm a huge fan of the series, it is one of the most amazing series I have ever read. What amazed me and made me love it so much was the links to different arts (movies, music, literature, poetry etc.) As an English student (you are studying English?) you will love it. Wizard and Glass was also my favourite novel. The series definitely goes down after volume 4 but you have to read the whole thing. It's one of those addictive series.
I think the movie(s) have the potential to be alright.  What I'm concerned about is the TV series that will be on network TV.  The books are pretty graphic and the entire series has an undercurrent of horror to it that I'm afraid won't work out too well in the TV show.

I also was really hoping for someone else to play Roland - my personal top picks would have been Viggo Mortenson or Hugh Jackman. 

They are definitely worth reading, although the writing quality goes downhill pretty quickly after book 4 in my opinion.  Book 4, Wizard and Glass, is one of my favorite books though.
I also would have loved those actors. But they're already tied into series, and seen to have become that character Viggo for me is Aragorn and Jackman is Wolverine. So I don't know if they would have worked. I think Timothy Olyphant would have been a great choice for Roland. I'm really not looking forward to the tv series, it makes no sense to me. Rather just make more movies, but we will see when they come out I suppose. All I guess we can do is wait and see.

Offline Noona

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:40 AM »
I've only read the first two Dark Tower books so far, but the first one with Roland in the desert with his hat and his guns has managed to get the image of Clint Eastood firmly in my head :P

Offline Shamrock

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I've only read the first two Dark Tower books so far, but the first one with Roland in the desert with his hat and his guns has managed to get the image of Clint Eastood firmly in my head :P
Clint Eastwood would have been awesome, but I think he is just too old to play Roland. Another actor I thought of now, even though I'm not a big fan, is Russel Crowe. I don't know why. If Eastwood was directing the series I would be doing my happy dance right now. Alas he's not so I'm just waiting in anticipation of the movies.

Offline deejrandom

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 11:00:11 PM »
I am looking forward to this series of movies/tv series hybrid..thing.  One thing that I've learned, especially when Lord of the Rings was cast, to not worry so much about who is playing the parts.  I honestly remember thinking Liv Taylor would ruin the movie - but she ended up doing a great job. 

After the movie comes out we can sit back and judge - saying this guy wasn't right or that gal didn't do the novels justice but right now we don't see what the producers/directors/writers are seeing.

The idea of this series is great - I am reading through the dark tower books (again) at the moment.  I hope they don't screw it up but I *also* don't think that the Dark Tower books are these bastions of perfect prose and story telling.  So we'll see how the movie people handle some of the weaker parts in the series.*

*I understand that I and I alone may hold the opinion that some parts are weaker than others.  I accept full responsibility for said comments and understand that not everyone will share said opinion :P

Cheerwell

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »
Clint Eastwood was one of the major influences for Roland, believe it or not.

As for Javier, I think he could be good. I watched No Country for Old Men specifically to see what he was like, and he was great. Whilst it's true that he was never said to have a Spanish accent, his accent would be different to ours and, to me, Javier's accent from No Country was quite unusual, but understandable, and if he makes it less 'stuffy' and a lot harder, he could be brilliant.

I'm torn as to who could play the other characters, though. I really hope Oy is in it, too, because the ka-tet wouldn't be complete without him.

Offline Mark Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »
I loved the Dark Tower series - incredible variety and some wonderful writing. In fact I liked it so much I'm nervous about it being turned into a film - let's hope it's done with the same success as the Shawshank Redemption & the Shining.

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 03:31:09 AM »
Yeah, no, not Javier Bardem. I always had a Clint Eastwood, but with dark hair, in mind. Viggo Mortensen, maybe. But I always thought of him as whip thin and ...battered. Cillan Murphy, maybe? Adrian Brody's face isn't quite right....
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline deejrandom

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 05:43:44 AM »
I don't think any actor, outside of a clint eastwood in his late 30s, would really fit.  But often it isn't all about looks but personality - Like Jamie Lannister from the recent Game of Thrones series. He looked nothing like I pictured in the books, but the actor did a good job on getting the personality right.  So here's hopin'....

Offline Shamrock

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 07:14:46 AM »
I just want to know who the rest of the cast will be. I think Halle Berry would be an awesome Susannah - she's got the crazy eyes. Any suggestions for who will play Eddie? Or Jake? And I agree there better be Oy. He's so cute.

Cheerwell

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 07:29:58 AM »
I think Halle Berry would be an awesome Susannah - she's got the crazy eyes.
Maybe, but I think she's too light skinned, and I'm not sure she'd be able to pull off the accent for Detta.

Perhaps Josh Brolin for Eddie?  :P Just kidding, although I think he'd be good for when they get to the Wolves of the Calla section of the story.

I think Father Callahan should be played by whomever played him in the 'Salem's Lot film from a few years ago. I've not seen it, but it'd be great for the crossover aspect of the series.

Offline deejrandom

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 09:49:21 AM »
I just want to know who the rest of the cast will be. I think Halle Berry would be an awesome Susannah - she's got the crazy eyes. Any suggestions for who will play Eddie? Or Jake? And I agree there better be Oy. He's so cute.

Oy is part of the Katet, there better be oy! THey should get a long dog and add computer effects to him to make him look more like Oy does in the book.

I had an idea for Roland, if they could darken the hair and get a good western accent (Which I think he could do since he did a great american accent in Road to Perdition.) Daniel Craig - he has that haggard look about him to begin with.  I think he'd do a great cowboy.  (Momentarily forgetting he is in Cowboys and Aliens. I remember now but not when I wrote that XD  Mini brain lapse.)

As for the rest? I don't know.  Have to think on it.

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
Daniel Craig would work. There's something weatherbeaten about his face. Which is why Viggo Mortensen would work, too.
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich