July 15, 2020, 07:15:32 PM

Author Topic: Steam (PC) Indie Highlights  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Overlord

Steam (PC) Indie Highlights
« on: July 03, 2018, 09:30:42 PM »
I am considering doing an Indie Steam recommendations video, but thought I'd post here and ask what you guys are playing? :D

Maybe as a top 5... here's mine:
Hollow Knight (Fantasy),
Enter The Gungeon (Fantasy),
Super Meat Boy (no idea how you class this!),
Doki-Doki Literature Club (Sci-Fi),
BroForce (Sci-Fi),

Honourable mention:
Pony Island (Urban Fantasy / Sci-Fi).
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: Steam (PC) Indie Highlights
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 10:01:16 PM »
A few of my recommendations (keep in mind I'm a big fan of strategy games and old school sidescrollers)

Battletech (amazing - X-Com with MECHS and a great campaign)
Invisible Inc (tactical turn-based spy combat with crazy intensity)
Limbo (amazingly atmospheric, brain-teasing, great story - SO GOOD)
Inside (everything above but even better - SO SO GOOD)
Wreckfest (crazy good demolition derby/racing engine plus tight multiplayer)
Goat Simulator (seriously it's cheap and hilarious)
Shadowrun Returns (great turn-based cyberpunk RPG)
Shadowrun: Daggerfall (all of the above but even better)
Shadowrun: Hong Kong (did I mention the Shadowrun games are great?)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 10:13:23 PM »
I second Invisible.Inc. Great tactical espionage game.

I also recommend Beholder. You play as a Soviet agent with the mission to spy on people for the government. You become landlord of a building and then spy on everyone (including installing cameras in their rooms) and can choose to report or not people's actions to the government. You also have a family and have to deal with food and meds shortages, sickness, there's a lot of characterization and multiple endings depending on your choices. You can help or doom other people, even bribe them to get extra money to help your own family and etc. A very atmospheric game.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 10:30:38 PM »
I second Battletech and the Shadowrun games! And I have Invisible, Inc. on my Steam library, but haven't played it yet.

I'll add:

The Banner Saga 1 & 2: Turn-based tactical rpg gameplay enveloped in a beautiful story and awesome visuals, with one of the most amazing soundtracks to top it all off. They really are astounding games, and the third and final installment is due to come out later this month.

Darkest Dungeon: Again, a turn-based tactical rpg where you delve into randomly-generated dungeons of increasing difficulty, while your party is afflicted with a myriad of sicknesses and weird curses.

Pyre: This one sounds weird, but is really awesome; basically you follow a troup of exiles in a weird universe, where various exile teams are pitted against each other in a strange form of football, and where you can use spells and abilities to defeat the opposing team. It's really well written and enjoyable, and again, features beautiful graphics and soundtrack.

https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »
Oh yea, also second The Banner Saga (though I only played the first). I have Ash of Gods Redemption that either was done by the same company or it's a straight rip off in art style and combat mechanics.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »
Oh yea, also second The Banner Saga (though I only played the first). I have Ash of Gods Redemption that either was done by the same company or it's a straight rip off in art style and combat mechanics.

Unfortunately, it's a complete rip-off of The Banner Saga  :-\

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 04:37:25 AM »
I basically spend all my gaming time playing Carmageddon and have for the past twenty years, I am no help to anyone in this regard. :D

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 10:00:38 AM »
I basically spend all my gaming time playing Carmageddon Skyrim with a million mods and have for the past nearly twenty years, I am no help to anyone in this regard. :D

@cupiscent i adjusted your post and now you're me!!!  I actually have a large collection of games I've bought and have only managed to play 2 of them briefly since I just can't stop playing Skyrim long enough to do it... I look forward to hearing about the indie stuff tho-- I may be outta the indie gaming loop, but E3 just happened over here and I met a lot of people trying to make their own games happen so it's great to support the little guys!

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 12:58:55 PM »
Some games already mention that deserve re-mention
BattleTech -- Squad tactics with mechs! The latest patch hit a few days ago and fixed a lot of the release issues.
Invisible Inc. -- Just seeing the name made me want to play again. Turn-based stealth at its finest.
Shadowrun: Dragonfall & Hong Kong -- RPGs with amazing stories and characters (also, Shadowrun universe is just an endless source of science fantasy awesomeness -- I'm about to run the tabletop RPG).
The Banner Saga -- I was deeply involved in the community when the first game was being made (and played a lot of Factions). They are visually beautiful story games, first and foremost.
Darkest Dungeon -- The atmosphere is great, but the mechanics are not for everyone as it's a tough and unforgiving game. I've put 300 or so hours into it. Might go for another run since I got the latest expansion for free via KS.

And yes, I also like TBS, particularly squad stuff.

Some additions:
Duck Game -- A completely different category, this one is for MP fun with some friends. Not to be taken seriously. But damn, this game has given me more laughs than almost anything else I've experienced. When you've seen a duck playing the saxophone while being chased by another duck with a flamethrower, you'll understand why.
Oxenfree -- A spooky, atmospheric story game with choices that matter.
Risk of Rain -- Roguelike platform pixel-action at its best.

I probably forgot a few. Not sure if Amplitude Studios count anymore (they were indy but are now owned by Sega), but all their games are awesome, Dungeon of the Endless and Endless Legend in particular.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 02:34:41 PM »
I probably forgot a few. Not sure if Amplitude Studios count anymore (they were indy but are now owned by Sega), but all their games are awesome, Dungeon of the Endless and Endless Legend in particular.

I thought of recommending the Endless games as well, but didn't due to their recent acquisition by Sega. But they have some awesome games, and Dungeon of the Endless is a particular favourite  ;D

Offline BradCarsten

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 01:49:03 AM »
Orcs must die 2. I've sunk weeks into that, and it makes a great coop game
I agree. Broforce was awesome.
Riftwalkers (The King and Guardian): An Epic Portal Fantasy.

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 08:46:54 AM »
a great game I played for years now with friends cause its easy to pick up, well made and supports couch coop is Jamestown, fun little shmup thats very well coded and extremly well made, reminded me a lot about the shmups I played as a kid but still feeling fresh and new and not like another generic clone. I easily have over 40 hours of playtime in it  ;D
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison