February 23, 2020, 07:58:03 PM

Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens  (Read 33620 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2016, 04:26:27 PM »
Both of those people are from Roll Call and the one for which Matt got the award was while he was at Roll Call, it's only attributed to Huff because he's there now. David Wood looks like a freelancer to me, at least based of the wall of text at the bottom that never mentions Huff in his bio.

uh...  okay.  from the link:
Gregory D. Johnsen is a writer-at-large for BuzzFeed News. In 2013, Johnsen was named as BuzzFeed News’ first Michael Hastings Security Fellow. Johnsen is the author of The Last Refuge: Yemen, al-Qaeda, and America’s War in Arabia. He has been a Peace Corps volunteer in Jordan, a Fulbright Fellow in Yemen, and a Fulbright-Hays Fellow in Egypt.

John Stanton is the Washington bureau chief for BuzzFeed News. Previously Stanton was a reporter at Roll Call covering Congress, the White House, and the Supreme Court.

Kate Nocera is a congressional reporter for BuzzFeed News. PreviouslyNocera covered Congress and health care for Politico. Nocera began her career at The New York Daily News, covering everything from state and city politicians to murders and building collapses.

so...

gregory was named buzzfeed news’ first michael hastings security fellow in 2013.

stanton has been buzzfeed's washington bureau chief since 2012.

kate had been with buzzfeed since 2013.

all relevant.

sure, matt fuller was at roll call right before joining huffpo.  but, regardless, that's where he works now.  does that mean now that he's won an award, he's going to change jobs just so he can write clickbait?

finally, david wood is the senior military correspondent for the huffington post and has been on staff since early 2011.  so, no -- not a freelancer.

But, be that as it was, that was 2012. Things change. In 2012 CNN still had a fully staffed investigative section as well.

just out of curiosity, do you always sling so much random ad-hominem?

As it is, Huff is now blatantly taking news from REDDITwhile buzz has such hard hitting articles as:
22 Tweets About Pokémon That Will Get You Every Time

Things change. Not always for the better.

totally.  ripped from the pages of reddit:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/navient-student-loans_568edd6ce4b0a2b6fb6f6486

i suspect all the the confusion comes from conflating the front page of a newspaper with its funny pages.

p.s.  i CANNOT believe i'm defending huffpo and buzzfeed.  /sigh

Offline Nox

« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2016, 04:58:41 PM »

just out of curiosity, do you always sling so much random ad-hominem?
[/color]

Do...do you know what ad-hominem means? The only way I can see that being ad-hominem is if you are some kind of anthropomorphic personification of CNN?

I can see it being composition fallacy or texas sharpshooter but no idea how you got to ad-hominem...

Do you just like using big words in order to add credibility to your arguments? <---This is ad-hominem.

That said, your argument goes to pieces due to you appealing to authority, "pulitzer says they good so they must be good". It's also composition fallacy because you present the evidence that one person, part of a whole, winning an award somehow makes the whole sites credible. It's also texas sharpshooter because you cherry picked the positives and applied them over the whole.

All of those can also be applied to my arguments which is why we don't use logical fallacies that often as they tent to make every argument redundant.

What a pointless waste of time this was. I don't even like Star Wars movies.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »
Do...do you know what ad-hominem means?

irony is so awesome.

The only way I can see that being ad-hominem is if you are some kind of anthropomorphic personification of CNN?

oh.  i'm sorry.  i had assumed you were talking about the people who run cnn and make the staffing decisions.  or were you talking about the inanimate brand and how it cut back on the staff?

I can see it being composition fallacy or texas sharpshooter but no idea how you got to ad-hominem...

Do you just like using big words in order to add credibility to your arguments? <---This is ad-hominem.

That said, your argument goes to pieces due to you appealing to authority, "pulitzer says they good so they must be good". It's also composition fallacy because you present the evidence that one person, part of a whole, winning an award somehow makes the whole sites credible. It's also texas sharpshooter because you cherry picked the positives and applied them over the whole.

this sounds like you've just googled 'logical fallacies' for the first time.  tho, i do like the texas sharpshooter one because i grew up in san antonio.

(omg -- so layered!  i'm hilarious!)

All of those can also be applied to my arguments which is why we don't use logical fallacies that often as they tent to make every argument redundant.

What a pointless waste of time this was. I don't even like Star Wars movies.

awww...  don't take your ball and go home.  i won't have anyone to argue with then.  this was fun!

tho, it does seem a bit off topic.

Offline Nox

« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2016, 06:32:40 PM »
An ad hominem Latin] for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attack on an argument made by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, rather than attacking the argument directly.

So, unless you are CNN, it doesn't apply.

Perhaps googling logical fallacies was something you should have done as well.

Also, that's not what irony is or would be either...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:34:30 PM by Nox »

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2016, 06:33:53 PM »
Oh god. Not ad hominems. That seems to be the new version of calling someone a Nazi.

Ummm. I get the orginal poster's frustrations with huffington Post, but really did not like the tone of the article on the book of face. Came across as very comic book shop guy from the Simpsons. How dare you critise something I love, now I ll call you an idiot and waste several 1000 words of text telling you in a very condescending way you are wrong.  And I still don't buy that Rey is a Skywalker or a Kenobi and think it will be really pants if she is.  Not every Force sensitive individual needs to be related and would be kind of odd if they were.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2016, 06:42:18 PM »

i wonder how many of these ad hominem things i can get you to post.

Oh god. Not ad hominems. That seems to be the new version of calling someone a Nazi.

right?!  godwin would be proud.

Offline Nox

« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2016, 07:10:44 PM »

i wonder how many of these ad hominem things i can get you to post.

right?!  godwin would be proud.

*sigh* That's not ad-hominem because the argument was about you not knowing what it was...
Ad-hominem would be me insulting your hair or the fact you don't know the function of the shift key. Something unrelated to the actual argume-nevermind.

I guess there really is no place left on the internet where you won't meet a person that's just "trolling for the lulz", even places like this.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #202 on: January 08, 2016, 07:38:47 PM »
the fact you don't know the function of the shift key.

does that one count?

I guess there really is no place left on the internet where you won't meet a person that's just "trolling for the lulz", even places like this.

also, that's a fabulous piece of martyrdom for the guy who came charging into the conversation with this trolly post:

Uhh, you guys know you're talking about Huffington Post?
They're not journalists, they're bloggers who rely on click-bait to ensure people continue talking about them...as you are doing now.

It's like buzzfeed, The Verge, Polygon, perezhilton etc.

It's as much news as The Onion. Just sad, instead of funny.

I understand wanting to defend things you like but defending from Huff is like taking human rights criticism from Saudi Arabia.

just sayin'.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 08, 2016, 10:05:12 PM »
Could we all please now behave like grown-ups and either move the harsh arguments back to Star Wars or simply end it?

I'm a massive Schopenhauer fan, so I've read The Art of Being Right, and you guys are not even trying to use the more subtle techniques here!
Come on, you make it look like a brawl... over the Huff?

If you can't believe you're arguing over it, then please stop.
It's an online news paper now as well, so of course they do shitty click bait, among more serious articles, but whoever staffs them, they're not worth the space you've given them on this thread. They're not Fox News, but they're not the Time either, and the FB guy isn't going to win the pullitzer for his insulting back-review.
I reckon he's right but too offended, like Nighteyes says, it diminishes his argument.

Now please guys, go insult each other over PM if you're really going to take the ad nominem all the way to arguments ad personam.
It's just awkward for the rest of us now  :-[
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2016, 10:14:42 PM »
Could we all please now behave like grown-ups and either move the harsh arguments back to Star Wars or simply end it?

I'm a massive Schopenhauer fan, so I've read The Art of Being Right, and you guys are not even trying to use the more subtle techniques here!
Come on, you make it look like a brawl... over the Huff?

If you can't believe you're arguing over it, then please stop.
It's an online news paper now as well, so of course they do shitty click bait, among more serious articles, but whoever staffs them, they're not worth the space you've given them on this thread. They're not Fox News, but they're not the Time either, and the FB guy isn't going to win the pullitzer for his insulting back-review.
I reckon he's right but too offended, like Nighteyes says, it diminishes his argument.

Now please guys, go insult each other over PM if you're really going to take the ad nominem all the way to arguments ad personam.
It's just awkward for the rest of us now  :-[

heh.

yes, ma'am.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2016, 10:58:21 PM »
Yes, please :)

(Thanks Nora)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2016, 11:32:08 PM »
DBASKLS walks back in the room, looks confused and walks out again.
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline Hedin

« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2016, 11:59:32 PM »
It may have been discussed earlier but I didn't go through all of the spoilers (at what point can we freely discuss them?)  but what do people think of the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Rey is a Kenobi
  theory?   Not sure I buy it but could see it being plausible.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2016, 12:16:43 AM »
It may have been discussed earlier but I didn't go through all of the spoilers (at what point can we freely discuss them?)  but what do people think of the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Rey is a Kenobi
  theory?   Not sure I buy it but could see it being plausible.

I prefer it over any other rheory I've run in to.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2016, 12:31:01 AM »
Nah. no way. She's a skywalker. If she were Ben's kid, she would be way older. If he even had a kid, he would've likely came up in the original trilogy.