May 26, 2017, 04:40:01 AM

Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens  (Read 22256 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2015, 12:06:23 PM »
I thought it was good, but came away pretty disappointed with parts of the plot, for reasons I can't really discuss without spoilers. There is a line between nostalgia/homage and...*something*...and I think this film crossed that line.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Jurassic World does come to mind, though I felt FA had more in the way of interesting characters and twists.  :P
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:25:54 PM by Raptori »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Hedin

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »
Saw it last night and thought that it was very good but not quite great.  It definitely felt like a Star Wars film as opposed to the prequels.  There was a lot of fan servicing that came close to crossing the line of being too much but in the end I think it turned out fine.

Spoiler discussion below:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Fan service #1 - Hiding information in a droid.  Should I have known who that old man was at the beginning with Poe?

Finn and Poe were great together and I wish we had more of them interacting in this movie (and hopefully wil in the next one with Rey elsewhere for now). 

Speaking of Poe, I'm not sure how he got off Jaaku and back with the Resistance so quickly.  He definitely didn't seem to look for BB8 again.

I think Rey is awesome but it felt like to me that she became a little too strong too fast (Luke's growth this his powers was more gradual).  It could be an interesting mix with Rey maybe having a little dark deep down inside (when Kylo had her he stated that she wanted to kill him) and Kylo who has some good in him.

Speaking of Kylo, I really wonder what set him off.  Surely he would have been told the story of Anakin/Vader but yet he chose to go the Vader route?  And he said he still has the light inside of him so what pushed him to the Dark Side?  It looks like the speculation on his parentage was correct (Skywalker & Solo) but I liked the fan servicing with his real name being Ben/

Anyone else find it funny that when everyone gets back to base after blowing up the FO base that Chewy just walks right by Leia without commiserating with her over Han?  And that she immediately went over and hugged Rey even though they have never met (as far as we know anyways?)

Seriously, how many Death Star type things are we going to have?  It doesn't seem to be economically viable to keep building them.

Any thoughts on Rey's parentage?  I'm hoping they're not going to go down the route of Han & Leia's daughter but it seems like they cut the conversation between H&L right before they would discuss her.  Would Luke have had a kid maybe? 

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2015, 02:50:13 PM »
t-minus 3 1/2 hours!

our whole office is taking the day to go see it.  and then, i can cruise the internet without being terrified i might accidentally see something.

... well, no more terrified than any other day.

Offline OhTheSqualor

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »
Just wanted to say that I thought it was awesome.

I'll echo earlier comments that there was a degree of fan servicing, but it didn't bother me so much.  That could be because Star Wars pretty much was my childhood.  I also thought the fan servicing was redeemed by the fact that the original cast members had real roles to play and weren't just there to make us feel warm and fuzzy.

The new characters are great.  I'm kind of in love with Rae.  She was amazing.

Anyway, to sum it up: if you've been nervous about the new Star Wars movie, you can relax.  This is not some prequel trilogy garbage.  It was really good.

Chris
Check out my site!!! Oh The Squalor

Or drop me a line on Twitter

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2015, 11:02:26 PM »
Saw it yesterday. It was great! There are some plot issues, but nothing that should spoil the enjoyment of sitting back and watching a really fun action movie. I felt it was the best thing the franchise has done since Empire. It was wonderful to see a new chapter in the continuity without knowing how it turns out. In hindsight I would have preferred that the prequels never be made (not just because they were pretty terrible films), but because we all knew how it was going to end up, and in many ways it was more fun to imagine that rather than have it spelled out to us. In short loved it and will be going again. I think we'll probably go Gold Class for Lejay17's birthday in early Jan. Performances all round are very good and the show may have just uncovered a new star on John Boyega.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2015, 12:21:24 AM »
so.  freakin'.  good.

Offline OhTheSqualor

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2015, 12:42:13 AM »
Saw it yesterday. It was great! There are some plot issues, but nothing that should spoil the enjoyment of sitting back and watching a really fun action movie. I felt it was the best thing the franchise has done since Empire. It was wonderful to see a new chapter in the continuity without knowing how it turns out. In hindsight I would have preferred that the prequels never be made (not just because they were pretty terrible films), but because we all knew how it was going to end up, and in many ways it was more fun to imagine that rather than have it spelled out to us. In short loved it and will be going again. I think we'll probably go Gold Class for Lejay17's birthday in early Jan. Performances all round are very good and the show may have just uncovered a new star on John Boyega.

I too would prefer to live in a world where the prequels don't exist.  My girlfriend does.  She has never seen them.  I am jealous.
For me it's mostly because they were terrible. ;-)

Chris

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2015, 12:50:13 AM »
In a way it's good they did the prequels. Imagine! It means that otherwise he'd have done episodes 7, 8 and 9! Ruined the continuity!
Now we can simply forget 1, 2 and 3 happened, and consider that Star Wars is the matter of episode 4 to 9. If 8 and 9 are good as well... I mean, 8 isn't directed by JJ Abrahms, so... But we'll see. I think the new director will be ok.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline OhTheSqualor

« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2015, 06:52:07 PM »
In a way it's good they did the prequels. Imagine! It means that otherwise he'd have done episodes 7, 8 and 9! Ruined the continuity!
Now we can simply forget 1, 2 and 3 happened, and consider that Star Wars is the matter of episode 4 to 9. If 8 and 9 are good as well... I mean, 8 isn't directed by JJ Abrahms, so... But we'll see. I think the new director will be ok.

Lol!  I was just talking to my girlfriend about that the other day.  Thank god that if they had to ruin some part of the Star Wars story, they ruined the defined part.  The part that left little wiggle room for inventive story telling, because the broad story arc was already known.
The future of Star Wars belongs solely to the future, and thus far they've done a good job with it.  I too am nervous that there will be a new director for 8, but I think Disney knows what it has on its hands... and how important it is to get it right.

Chris

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »
Just saw it (and I almost NEVER go to see movies in a theatre). Seeing it in 3D was my biggest (/only) disappointment.

But yeah, it was good. Not excellent, but definitely good. I'll stick to the positive (non-spoilery) things:
-somehow it felt like New Hope redone, but more modern and, in some ways, better
-good acting; even the old-timers did a decent job
-Han and Chewie duo still worked very well
-BB-8 was not irritating at all; it was even funny at times (thumbs up like Raptori said)
-Rey was a total bad-ass! (Too much of a bad-ass?)
-the villain was very human (loved how he went 'apeshit', smashing stuff with his lightsaber  ;D )
-can't remember anything else at the moment  ::)

TL;DR
Solid 10/10 if by that you mean 3,5 or 4/5.  ??? ;D
You will hate it because the sequel will be so far, far away.  ;)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2015, 10:16:29 PM »
Just bought a second ticket to see it at 1pm this arvo...  :-[
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2015, 11:59:46 PM »
We had tickets reserved to see it again tonight, but since we felt too tired after a friend came to visit we're going tomorrow instead. If anything, I'm even more excited to watch it this time around.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Yora

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2015, 11:58:10 AM »
So my mom already got us tickets last week to see the movie on friday when my brother and I are in town. Didn't plan to, but since apparently most people consider it better than Episode 3, that's fine with me.

But I hope we get to see it on the big screen. It used to be the main stage of an old theatre house with 380 seats in front of a 762 inch screen. (18mx7m)  8)
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Hedin

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »
We had tickets reserved to see it again tonight, but since we felt too tired after a friend came to visit we're going tomorrow instead. If anything, I'm even more excited to watch it this time around.  :P

I'm off work next week so I'm planning on taking a me day and going to watch it again.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2015, 02:35:07 PM »

I'm off work next week so I'm planning on taking a me day and going to watch it again.

Ditto. Well I am not off work all week, but one day. That's all I need. I think i'll see it in 3D this time.

Tags: