June 01, 2020, 03:15:47 AM

Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 1680 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Star Trek Discovery
« on: November 22, 2017, 06:06:54 AM »
I'm surprised there is not a thread on this yet.

Anybody else been watching Star Trek Discovery? I was not impressed with the first two episodes but it has really grown on me, and after the mid-season finale I really want to find out where it is going. Jason Isaacs makes for a great captain.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline DaveEllis

Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »
I've really loved it, but with a few caveats.  I think the first two episodes suffered from not really knowing what the premise of the show really was beyond Klingon war and following a lower ranked officer, so while you thought you were watching a "pilot", you were really watching a "prequel".  But once Isaacs came in as slightly dodgy and yet likeable captain it really picked up.  The second Harry Mudd ep and the one on the planet with the antennae really felt like old school star trek with modern sensibilities, which is I guess what they are going for.

The caveats - the level of technology is really distracting when it is supposed to only be set 10 years before Kirk-era.  Sarek is really forced into the plot and I didn't particularly like that part of Burnham's back story.

plus
Spoiler for Hiden:
killing off all the cool women, Michelle Yeoh and the security woman whose name I can't remember but she was in BSG, that was a real shame.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 12:50:48 PM »
We gave it a bunch of episodes but found we didn't really like any characters very much - I wasn't rooting for any of them, really. So now we watch the Orville, which is surprisingly good and imo quite a bit better.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »
Found it weak and stopped after the 4th episode because it was becoming laughable. Much worse than what could have been done. Not so "bad" in itself, but given how little series I watch, it was not worth my time.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Yopla

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »
We gave it a bunch of episodes but found we didn't really like any characters very much - I wasn't rooting for any of them, really. So now we watch the Orville, which is surprisingly good and imo quite a bit better.

Indeed. I found that "The Orville" is a better Star Trek series than "Discovery"...

I was really hyped by the two-part pilot but my interest for the show decreased with every passing episode. As The Gem Cutter said, the characters aren't really likeable and the story is... well, garbage to my opinion. We could have been granted with modern reflexion on fanatism and agressivity, a history of the Klingons and the evolution of the Federation into the thing it is in Kirk-era. But no.

Spoiler for Hiden:
We've got techno-bio-bullsh*t stuff instead, a non-surprising love-story and very evil bad caricatural vilains.

Although, I found the timeloop episode quite original. Not good, but with an interesting point of view.
Bouh.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
I agree with all the criticisms.
And I watched every episode, enjoying myself a great deal.
It’s a huge mash of missed opportunities, with the writers always on the verge of something fascinating, and often backing off.

Some things play for shock value, then get abandoned
Spoiler for Hiden:
the engineer walks away from the mirror and his reflection stays in it; yes, the engineer’s story of dislocation continues, but the image becomes a throw-away after being used to exclamation point an episode

The Klingons are horrible: TNG, etc. had them much better. Especially the excruciatingly slow pace of their speech.

But I get a huge kick out the megalomaniac captain, and I enjoy Burnham.

And it’s... Star Trek. I have a lot of good will to burn.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com