July 13, 2020, 07:21:24 PM

Author Topic: Song of the Sea  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Song of the Sea
« on: March 09, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »

Has anyone seen Song of the Sea yet? Looks like it could be an awesome film. It's not coming to cinemas anywhere near us, so we'll have to wait until the DVD is available. The Secret of Kells was pretty good, beautifully animated and a nice story only let down by a few flaws. The new film looks even more beautiful, hopefully the story telling has improved as well.

Trailer:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbXWt8kM5Q[/youtube]
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Ender

Re: Song of the Sea
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 03:22:34 AM »
I'm hoping to watch this soon, maybe next week.  The blu ray is coming out on Tuesday, March 17th.  I'll do a small review when I watch it.  I agree with you on Kells too.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 11:17:25 PM »
The visuals are amazing, and the soundtrack sounds promising. I am looking forward to watch this when it comes out on Blu-ray  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 03:12:33 PM »
Managed to get a copy, just watched it  ;D

Absolutely wonderful film. By a mile the most beautiful animation I've ever seen, it's like watching a moving painting, and the sound effects were noticeably gorgeous too. The story was perfect as well, a huge improvement on the Secret of Kells imo. All the characters were rounded and believable, and the story was wistful and magical. Definitely something everyone who enjoys anime and/or fantasy should watch.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 03:19:54 PM »
Seems like I have to watch this. I enjoyed the secret of kells very much while it was on digital telly (similar to netflix but with channels) and only recently managed to acquire a dvd.
Might have to look for this on amazon or the like because my country ain't great in the selling movies department.

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
Managed to get a copy, just watched it  ;D

Absolutely wonderful film. By a mile the most beautiful animation I've ever seen, it's like watching a moving painting, and the sound effects were noticeably gorgeous too. The story was perfect as well, a huge improvement on the Secret of Kells imo. All the characters were rounded and believable, and the story was wistful and magical. Definitely something everyone who enjoys anime and/or fantasy should watch.

That's a great review, I'll eagerly watch it once I get hold of a copy  :)

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »
We watched this again, it's just as good on second viewing. Such a gorgeous film.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 03:30:35 AM »
Just watched this tonight. Exquisite art, wonderful music, winning story and characters. Rented it on Amazon, regretting I didn't spend the few extra dollars to but it outright. Lovely.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
Just watched this tonight. Exquisite art, wonderful music, winning story and characters. Rented it on Amazon, regretting I didn't spend the few extra dollars to but it outright. Lovely.
Glad you liked it! I hope they won't take five years to make their next film...  :P

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 01:13:12 AM »
Finally watched it tonight with Eurog. Absolutely beautiful, both the story and the artistry. I sobbed through the final 10 minutes, so I'm certain this one will stay with me for long. And how well it blended all that celtic/irish mythology and songs, wow.

Have you guys seen Ponyo, from Miyazaki? It's a movie which I think will appeal to anyone who enjoyed Song of the Sea. One of the most beautiful animated movies I have ever seen. If you haven't seen it, at least check the trailer to see if it might interest you  ;)

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 04:05:03 PM »
Finally watched it tonight with Eurog. Absolutely beautiful, both the story and the artistry. I sobbed through the final 10 minutes, so I'm certain this one will stay with me for long. And how well it blended all that celtic/irish mythology and songs, wow.

Have you guys seen Ponyo, from Miyazaki? It's a movie which I think will appeal to anyone who enjoyed Song of the Sea. One of the most beautiful animated movies I have ever seen. If you haven't seen it, at least check the trailer to see if it might interest you  ;)
Yeah we have Ponyo on dvd - haven't watched it for ages though, might have to watch it again soon. We've only got a couple other Miyazaki films on dvd, and one of them only has Finnish subtitles... would love to buy more but they're so expensive.  :-\