July 10, 2020, 07:44:40 AM

Author Topic: Snow Crash, Ringworld, Lazarus and Annihilation  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Snow Crash, Ringworld, Lazarus and Annihilation
« on: October 01, 2017, 07:26:24 PM »
Ho Ho Ho, looks like christmas to me :

https://www.tor.com/2017/09/29/amazon-prime-to-develop-adaptations-of-snow-crash-ringworld-and-lazarus/

Sounds like SFF movies and series are drawing enough views and money for studios to turn to more and more scifi.
If they take this seriously it has some tremendous potential.

Annihilation already has a trailer and stars some serious cast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaDurSCKOk

With the writer and director of Ex Machina. Now we're talking. To me it looks great, but the book bored me right out of reading further than 1/3 in. VanderMeer does not do it for me at all, but the visual take on the world looks a lot more interesting. I'll definitely go and watch it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: Snow Crash, Ringworld, Lazarus and Annihilation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
I loved Annihilation by VanderMeer, though I still have to read the other books that continue it.

And damn that Annihilation trailer looks really damn promising!

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline AmeliaFaulkner

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:27:42 PM »
Oh my god yes Snow Crash!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »
Ho Ho Ho, looks like christmas to me :

https://www.tor.com/2017/09/29/amazon-prime-to-develop-adaptations-of-snow-crash-ringworld-and-lazarus/

Sounds like SFF movies and series are drawing enough views and money for studios to turn to more and more scifi.
If they take this seriously it has some tremendous potential.

Annihilation already has a trailer and stars some serious cast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaDurSCKOk

With the writer and director of Ex Machina. Now we're talking. To me it looks great, but the book bored me right out of reading further than 1/3 in. VanderMeer does not do it for me at all, but the visual take on the world looks a lot more interesting. I'll definitely go and watch it.

February release, huh?
Usually a spot for movies the studios think are just up from a Direct-to-DVD release.  ;)
But it does look interesting.   :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online cupiscent

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 01:39:42 AM »
I'm cautiously excited about Snow Crash.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 04:29:16 PM »

Same. Amazon actually has a pretty good track record with their exclusives (I really liked Man in the High Castle and a few other things they've done) so I'm hopefully optimistic. Interesting how all this cyberpunk stuff is being announced in the last few years. I wonder if it was Ready Player One's success that gave interest in such subject matter a shot in the arm, or a confluence of multiple events.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 09:45:25 PM »

Same. Amazon actually has a pretty good track record with their exclusives (I really liked Man in the High Castle and a few other things they've done) so I'm hopefully optimistic. Interesting how all this cyberpunk stuff is being announced in the last few years. I wonder if it was Ready Player One's success that gave interest in such subject matter a shot in the arm, or a confluence of multiple events.

Why would you think so? I mean, Ready Player One isn't out yet as a movie. It can't be what's fuelling all these interpretations?
I thought it'd be more the success of movies like Ex Machina, Arrival, or series like Leviathan Wakes that put things rolling.
I mean, Villeneuve and Garland are picking/writing more and more sci-fi/fantasy/dystopia scripts/books, and they are trusted with pretty much anything these days. If Garland nails Annihilation, he can well write and direct whatever he wants, and if Blade Runner 2 is as good as people are begging for, I doubt anyone will be saying "no" to Villeneuve either.

Edge of Tomorrow (was adapted from a manga...) Gravity, Inception, Interstellar, Snowpiercer, District 9, Moon, Children of Men, Her... and of course the Handmaid's Tale now... I think studios are realising just how much money they can make off our backs, and people who don't usually read our genre are much more prone to enjoy it in film/series.
I can definitely see producers turning towards GR lists and starting to cherry pick stuff that could get a decent script.

With reboot fever, we might get a better version of Dune?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:47:09 PM »

With reboot fever, we might get a better version of Dune?

There is a new version in the works, but I'm not sure how far along it is. Legendary Pictures are behind it, I believe.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 10:03:51 PM »
Why would you think so? I mean, Ready Player One isn't out yet as a movie. It can't be what's fuelling all these interpretations?
I thought it'd be more the success of movies like Ex Machina, Arrival, or series like Leviathan Wakes that put things rolling.
I mean, Villeneuve and Garland are picking/writing more and more sci-fi/fantasy/dystopia scripts/books, and they are trusted with pretty much anything these days. If Garland nails Annihilation, he can well write and direct whatever he wants, and if Blade Runner 2 is as good as people are begging for, I doubt anyone will be saying "no" to Villeneuve either.

Edge of Tomorrow (was adapted from a manga...) Gravity, Inception, Interstellar, Snowpiercer, District 9, Moon, Children of Men, Her... and of course the Handmaid's Tale now... I think studios are realising just how much money they can make off our backs, and people who don't usually read our genre are much more prone to enjoy it in film/series.

I was thinking book, but yeah, honestly what you've just suggested makes a hell of a lot more sense. :)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 10:13:23 PM »
Oh ok, I honestly hadn't realised that RPO had made such a fuss when it came out. It certainly has huge ratings on GR. I guess I'm biased because I found it unappealing to DNF without regret.
So very possible I overlooked that. Also I wasn't on any website or part of any sff community in 2011 when it came out so I missed the hype.

But I think we could peg The Martian even more. It has 100k more GR ratings, came out a year after RPO, already has a blockbuster movie out. I'd say if anything The Martian probably paved the way to RPO getting its movie.
No point about arguing what started it though, we're clearly seeing a revolution in TV and Movie trends I'm pretty pleased with. There will be flops, but there will also be cult movies in there.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 01:24:13 PM »
I read Annihilation two years ago, reread it this year and finished the trilogy yesterday. Then today I watched the movie.

I'm... not sure actually what to say haha. The differences from the books, even just from the first, are pretty big.

First, the characters in the book don't have names. They're called by their jobs. The biologist, the psychologist, the surveyor, etc. In the movie they all have names (all made up) and are called by it. The professions, except for the MC and psychologist, are all different (no anthropologist, no surveyor) and they're now five instead of four. No special tricks for the psychologist either (in the book she can use hypnosis almost like magic).

There's much more visceral violence - members killed by mutated animals - while nobody in any of the books ever dies by something like that. The deaths are mysterious, never shown on page and so on. Some you don't even know if they actually died or were simply transformed into something.

Also gone is the "tower", so central in the books and the "Crawler" and his words inscribed on the walls of the tower (which is actually a living organism). The lack of this part really bothered me.

The characters also never encounter what exactly is causing everything, but they do here. It's an interesting part, with very well-thought analogies and context behind, though. On the other hand, not knowing is what made it even more dangerous, alien and intriguing.

There are some nice surprises and the setting is really well done. There's a part with plants growing in the silhouette of people that was really catching in its eeriness. And a certain part with a bear. Area X is never really mentioned by name, unfortunately, they all refer to the place as "the Shimmer" in the movie.

The movie is very definitely a standalone with a very clear conclusion (though the ending is... a little ambiguous in some part!) while the trilogy ends without actually giving any definitive conclusion for anything at all.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 12:28:56 AM »
Mmmh, @Lanko I think you must have missed the part of the rumour that says Alex Garland read the novel once and proceeded to make his own script out of that single read. I personally found the novel boring as s**t, so in comparison the movie was much better.  :P

No way the director would go and not name the characters. The producers already distrusted the movie enough to cut it from appearing in cinemas outside the US, so can you imagine Garland trying to float a movie where they have to have characters verbally refer to each other by their job designation? I don't think it'd work in film.

As for the lack of tower or crawler, I understand you'd be miffed since it's such a big thing, but it didn't bother me. The movie has its own meanings and questions, and adding crawler and tower would have done nothing but adding total confusion. The plot is tight as it is, and already had people in a pretzel about its meaning.
Having death happening off screen for mysterious reasons, the tower (which is also referred as a tunnel, and it's never cleared up, what it actually is...), characters without names, and centre characters like the crawler that make no sense would have catapulted the film into the realm of weird art house.
I'm not saying it would be bad (though I'd not watch a realistic representation of the novel, since I found it crap), I'm only saying that Garland chose to make a smart sci fi movie out of a weird-fiction novel. It's a broader audience and still allowing for a very eerie film. It is a 'based on' film rather than an adaptation proper. I found it good, but not the kind of movie that is "enjoyable", hence not something I'd rewatch, though I'm glad I did watch it.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »
Yeah I didn't know that when I watched it, later found out it didn't even hit some cinemas, it went directly to Netflix.

Maybe that could've been the right direction, a TV series. That *probably* could've solved this problem, as for a movie, as you said, it was as tight as it possibly could considering everything.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 09:15:47 PM »
Yeah I didn't know that when I watched it, later found out it didn't even hit some cinemas, it went directly to Netflix.

Maybe that could've been the right direction, a TV series. That *probably* could've solved this problem, as for a movie, as you said, it was as tight as it possibly could considering everything.

Ah but my point remains that I would not watch it as a series. I think the film was great, very self contained, and I don't see myself revisiting this world in any greater depth. I don't feel like the stuff that was taken out was necessary, really. I honestly disliked the book.  :P