December 10, 2019, 07:10:34 PM

Author Topic: Skyrim!!!!!  (Read 15310 times)

Offline LeifGSNotae

• Coreling
  • Flash Fiction Writer and Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Leif G.S. Notae - Writing More With Less
Re: Skyrim!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 02:34:05 AM »
So, you guys that have this. Can someone tell me how it actually plays? I don't mean the story, I mean the... graphics/camera/movement type stuff.
I had a really hard time playing Oblivion, because of the way that stuff handled. It was just that little bit too much and I got real queasy trying to play it. Which was a real pity because I loved Morrowind!
I'd really love to get this game but I don't want to spend $120 dollars on something that I can't actually play for longer than 6 minutes :D

It's a prettier version of Oblivion and Fallout 3. Youtube some gameplay and you'll have your answer, but I would recommend waiting. Even if you wanted to try it, it sounds as if they will bundle the game together with the DLC in 6 months and you'll probably save $60 from having to buy the extra stuff.

If anyone wants to read the "books" found in Skyrim, you can click here to download the mobi or B&N versions. Even if you aren't versed in the lore of Elder Scrolls, there are some amazing little gems in here like the Wolf Queen. I lost good time reading the whole arc.

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 11:57:26 AM »
I haven't any experience of the Elder Scrolls. I loved Dragonage Origins (2 less so) but from what i have heard and seen of Skyrim it looks right up my alley. Is it easy to get into if you haven't read/played any Elder Scrolls previously?

Offline LeifGSNotae

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 12:20:43 PM »
I haven't any experience of the Elder Scrolls. I loved Dragonage Origins (2 less so) but from what i have heard and seen of Skyrim it looks right up my alley. Is it easy to get into if you haven't read/played any Elder Scrolls previously?

The stories are quite convoluted, but they are "somewhat" stand alone. If you liked DAO, I would probably watch footage on YouTube first to make sure it is the right game for you. The first person view is where it is at, but some people don't feel comfortable with it and the "vanity" third person view is still hideous.

You could try Oblivion at a cheap price (TES IV) since the controls handle the same way or the latest Fallout series entries (3 and New Vegas)

Offline Arthum

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
I've seen a few videos of Skyrim and I regret not having a better PC or a console :/ I love how the whole game starts :D Awesome idea for a start, but I liked the character creation more in Morrowind.

Offline LeifGSNotae

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
I've seen a few videos of Skyrim and I regret not having a better PC or a console :/ I love how the whole game starts :D Awesome idea for a start, but I liked the character creation more in Morrowind.

Indeed, I want it for my PC so when the mods come out I can make it look even better. If you enjoy how it starts, look around for the glitch that happens at the beginning. Very entertaining.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »
Now have Skyrim and really enjoying it... I won't repeat everything I've said - but there is a review I did here:
http://fantasy-faction.com/2011/skyrim-review

I've sunk about 15 hours into it... luckily I have university work to be getting on with, otherwise it probably would have been triple that!!! :P
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline LeifGSNotae

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »
Just as a heads up, I am not sure if anyone has heard about the issues this game is having but it seems as though a data compiler/defragger is not catching all the problems and is forcing 0 FPS and/or severe loss of textures.

If this has happened to you, the idea is to delete your saves and start fresh. Yes, I can hear the grumbling out there, but until they can patch it (and it sounded as though it might take them a while), you might have to do just that. I hear it applies to every version (PS3, Xbox 360, PC), though the PS3 people have been affected first.

I had a sneaking suspicion that something like this would happen, sadly.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
Just as a heads up, I am not sure if anyone has heard about the issues this game is having but it seems as though a data compiler/defragger is not catching all the problems and is forcing 0 FPS and/or severe loss of textures.

If this has happened to you, the idea is to delete your saves and start fresh. Yes, I can hear the grumbling out there, but until they can patch it (and it sounded as though it might take them a while), you might have to do just that. I hear it applies to every version (PS3, Xbox 360, PC), though the PS3 people have been affected first.

I had a sneaking suspicion that something like this would happen, sadly.

Yeah, also... disable autosave!!! Mine crashed all the damned time until I done this - it is risky of course, if you die forgetting to save, etc - but it is far, far worse if the damned thing crashes in middle of a boss battle or something! >.<
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 12:08:38 AM »
Got this for Christmas, but couldn't actually start playing it until the day after Boxing Day... now of course I'm horribly addicted and mourning the fact that I'm back to the usual routine tomorrow and will have little time to play.  :(

I was a huge (possibly, let's face it, obsessed) fan of Dragon Age: Origins, and while I don't quite love Skyrim like I loved that (it needs more jokes and more romance) it's like a hyper detailed older cousin. Brilliant stuff.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline graveyardhag

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 01:13:03 AM »
I ended up getting this out from the video store, and I am really enjoying it! Whatever the problem was I had with Oblivion, it isn't evident here, and I am so glad for that fact.
RPG's are the type of game I really enjoy, and Skyrim turned out to really cool. It's pretty generic, but then that could be said of every Elder Scrolls game.
Not far through the game but I wish some things were explained better!
How do you buy houses?! The Jarl said I could, but hell if I can figure out how!
It seems a little disorganized, It's annoying me a lot, that one moment i'm killing wolves/soldiers/bandits, then the next I'm running away from a troll that just appeared and started chasing me. I'm only level 7. No way I can kill that thing! Whats something so strong doing hanging around where the early levels take place?
I wish all the crafting things were explained a little better also.

I think I will end up buying this game, though I will probably wait untill it's on sale somewhere.
"Eva, can I stack Rod's sad-ass dork cats in a cave?"

Offline Ken

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »
I ended up getting this out from the video store, and I am really enjoying it! Whatever the problem was I had with Oblivion, it isn't evident here, and I am so glad for that fact.
RPG's are the type of game I really enjoy, and Skyrim turned out to really cool. It's pretty generic, but then that could be said of every Elder Scrolls game.
Not far through the game but I wish some things were explained better!
How do you buy houses?! The Jarl said I could, but hell if I can figure out how!
It seems a little disorganized, It's annoying me a lot, that one moment i'm killing wolves/soldiers/bandits, then the next I'm running away from a troll that just appeared and started chasing me. I'm only level 7. No way I can kill that thing! Whats something so strong doing hanging around where the early levels take place?
I wish all the crafting things were explained a little better also.

I think I will end up buying this game, though I will probably wait untill it's on sale somewhere.

You can buy a house after you kill your first dragon. The Jarl tells you to talk to his steward, Preventus Avenicci. You might have given him a sword earlier.
As for the troll, there are a few ways to kill him. I went up a cliff and sniped that thing to death. An easier way would just be to use a Fire enchanted weapon on that thing.

I had a great time playing the game. Took me around 100 hours to complete the first run through.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2012, 08:30:31 AM »
Ice trolls have been causing me all sorts of trouble too... it seems I can kill a dragon easily enough, but a cheesed off Ice Troll or a surprise Frost Spider? Doom.
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline graveyardhag

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2012, 02:02:22 PM »
I was throwing my fire spell at the stupid troll, but it wasn't even hurting him!
I probably missed what the Jarl was telling me, 2 young kiddies in the house is distracting!

I haven't figured out how to enchant things yet. Happily destroying the stuff I don't want though!
"Eva, can I stack Rod's sad-ass dork cats in a cave?"

Offline maggielora

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »
 :)
I'm looking forward to Kingdom of Amalur, and I think Skyrim ROCKS!

Offline FrnchDp

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »
:)
I'm looking forward to Kingdom of Amalur, and I think Skyrim ROCKS!

FYI - the demo for KoA was released yesterday